Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    No, the clunking is clearly the front axle hooking up in a slip situation. I've had lots of experience with that through the 30 inches of new snow we have been driving through for the past few days. The vehicle has handled the snow very well. Really, I have no complaints with the way the Michelins handle in any weather or situation. They are not off-road tires, but then again the Explorer is not much of an off-road truck.

I too prefer rwd. It's just that minivans give you more room inside for the amount of real estate they take up. Also, they are much easier to load (live) bodies into. If three rows, rear drive and the ability to carry seven is important, I would definitely look at the next larger size vehicle, the class of which is currently the Tahoe/Suburban.

I'll check on disbling the ding, but I have my doubts that's possible.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    "However, you cannot run through the gears sequentially (except for 1,2,3) and hold them"

Make that 1,2,3,&4. I fail to see any advantage to going beyond this. I have over a year's use on my Mountaineer, including off-roading and 4,000 miles of towing a 5,000# travel trailer. I've yet to see a need for more manual gear selection than what is provided.

By the way, the O/D button blocks out both 5-th and 6-th, the two overdrive gears. 4-th gear is direct.
  • I'm thinking about going the other way - from a 2002 explorer to a v8 Touareg. Which one do you think is better?
  • My wife and I ordered a 2007 EB Explorer to replace our '04 Mountianeer. We opted for the seats with the suede inserts because it provides a surface that feels more like cloth (neither one of us care for leather/pleather).
    My concern is the "care" needed to keep these looking good. With the suede insert, you don't get an option on color and the suede insert is a very light-colored material which makes me a little worried about how it's going to look a year from now.
    If you have these seats, please share your experience with how they are holding up, if you have had to clean them, or if you found something to 'treat' them with to protect them from getting dirty that works well.
    I'm hoping that we're worried about nothing. But that light, non-smooth surface, looks like it won't take long to look filthy.
    Thanks!
    Pete
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I fail to see the fascination with the Tow-rag myself, but people seem to like 'em. However, I would advise ya to check the Edmunds forums on Touareg problems first - they are a nightmare of a car, like most VWs. Nobody ever buys a second one.
    Suede is not intended to look "brand new" after it's broke in. These inserts are intended to "wear in" as used, and they get just so dirty under normal use, which is supposed to be very "attractive".

You can use a suede dry cleaning solution on it, but it won't ever look like it does new. It's not intended to.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    That's what ext. warranties are there for.

Interestingly enough, the same vehicle(Porsche Cayenne) has little to no probs. How so? The same could be said about the Mountaineer over the Explorer.

I was interested in an '07 Explorer but passed it up on a new Chrysler Aspen as our Jeep Commander was totaled two weeks ago by, you guessed it, a self-distracted driver on the cell phone.

Pound for pound, the $44k Explorer Limited 4.6L V8 4X4 was not as appealing as the $41k Chrysler Aspen LTD HEMI 4X4. It just did not fit the bill, and the final tab of $37.5k also did little to entice me as I paid $35k for the much more roomier fully luxed-out Aspen.

But the Explorer does appeal to many, but that number is decreasing rapidly as witnessed by the Explorer's rather tepid sales numbers of late, may lend credence as to why it lost it's #1 moniker.

I personally like the Explorer as it does most things right. They finally fixed the arm rest fiasco and the interior materials are a huge step up from the '02-'05 models. Had the price been right, I may had been talking a different tune.
    but that number is decreasing rapidly as witnessed by the Explorer's rather tepid sales numbers of late,

I'll still stack the Explorer sales up against the Jeep Commander and Chrysler Aspen sales combined, if you want to make a point about desireability.

The Chryslers/Dodges are always cheaper than the GMs and Fords it seems. Compare a Durango with an Expedition, same thing. Yet, the Durango has all the same stuff in it. They just go for thousands less. Yes, they have drum brakes in the back, a live axle, but they have DOD, which gets you up to 2 mpg more on level ground. It's all in what you like.

I think the biggest Explorer killer in 06 was the lousy door panel. I'd fire the engineer who designed that faster than Donald Trump. But, there are a lot more SUVs on the market now than ever before, making it more difficult to make that #1 number every year.

I'm sure the Aspen is a great truck, based upon what it's made from. However, couldn't they have found a better name for it than "Aspen"? Because too many of us remember the Aspen/Volare twins of the 70's that started actually rusting on the showroom floor.....MISERABLE cars.....
    I couldn't own an Aspen......just couldn't. :sick:
    I could go on for hours on the subject, but I won't. If you appreciate German cars, and understand their issues, mainly to do with high maintenance costs and dependence on computers and high tech stuff that are prone to glitches, go for it. You will get a vehicle that handles everything with comfort, speed, and grace. I loved my Touareg (a V6) but VW does not care for their owners nearly as much as Lexus and other customer-oriented manufacturers (not Ford). You will pay big bucks for a vehicle that depreciates rapidly. There is no other car on the road like it. Despite what their owners might tell you, the Touareg is every bit as good and nice as a Porsche Cayenne and a hell of lot cheaper. Looks better in my opinion. Two months after I sold my Touareg, I find that VW now offers a pre-paid maintenance contract for either 3 or 4 years. Based on my experience, I think that would be a good idea. Read up on the Touareg site, although most of the bitching you will see is about 2004 models, as I had. Back to comparison, the Explorer and Touareg are completely different approaches to SUV. If you want an American vehicle with decent utility and room, the Explorer is a good choice; you may want to look at all the other choices out there too. As I've said before, the Explorer goes off-road, but ground clearance is not too good. If you want a sporty SUV that will actually tow a big boat and go off-road, the Touareg is pretty much it. If towing or off-road is not important, you may want to look at the BMW's and Infinity. The new Tahoe is pretty nice too, not very sporty, but will tow and go off-road. If you go with a Touareg, make sure the dealer is going to be there for you. You will get to know your service writer on first name basis. The little things like making sure you have a loaner or rental, communication, etc are important with VW ownership.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    "I'm sure the Aspen is a great truck, based upon what it's made from. However, couldn't the have found a better namer for it than "Aspen"."

I asked myself that the first time I saw it. I went, Aspen? Not to fond memeries.

But the truck is an awesome piece of machinery. It's bascially all in a league it's own. Smaller than the Expedition(exterior only as the 112cu.ft of interior cargo capacity ups the Expeditions 108, and also Tahoes) but bigger than the Explorer/JGC/TrailBlazer. It rides argueably better than them all due in fact to higher weight. And judging from the awesome fit/finish of the Durango, the Aspen should do just as well.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    Quote: "I'd fire the engineer who designed that faster than Donald Trump"

Why would you fire Donald Trump for the armrest fiasco???

Heh, heh, heh, heh.....:):):):):)

Sorry, had a few minutes to kill, and you seemed like the one to pick on... :P ;)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I'd fire the engineer who designed that faster than Donald Trump.

I understand that Mr. Trump is into giving people second chances these days. :D

tidester, host
    Oh, that's funny!!! Well, I wouldn't. And I'd fire the whole committee that let that door panel get into production - it is the most assinine thing I've seen in decades - and it's so ridiculous because the Explorer has always had one of the most ergonomically correct cabin around - this thing should actually be recalled IMO.
    Only if you are female, beautiful, sexy, and young...

If she looked like Helen Thomas of the White House Press Corp, she might be wearing cement overshoes, never to be heard from again...

Actually, back in 1994, in the movie True Lies, when the terrorist from the Islamic Jihad was hanging from the Harrier side-mounted missle, Arnold says, just before launch, "You're Fired"...beat Trump by almost a decade...
    Only if you are female, beautiful, sexy, and young...

Unfortunately, we don't have a physical desrcription of the engineer. ;)

tidester, host
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    You are only annoyed with it because it is different. If you had a chance to get used to it, you won't notice it.

Incidentally, if you were ever in a side impact and had your ribs cracked by a hard plastic door handle I bet you would run to the court house to sue Ford for putting the handle where it could crack your ribs.

Mark.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I read elsewhere that Ford showed employees a next Explorer based on a Volvo vehicle. I wonder if that is the XC-90, or more properly, the next generation XC-90 based on the upcoming next generation S-80? If Ford is reading - a V8, rear wheel drive, and an independent rear suspension are my requirements for any and all future vehicle purchases (perhaps a super or turbo-charged 4 would be OK, as in teh C230 we now own, but the V8 is really best).
    I've owned and driven a lot of different cars and trucks over 35 years. Never had anything with a door handle this stupid. My ribs could be whacked very efficiently by the armrest as it sits, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. If they had simply put a deep finger groove in the armrest for "grab-ability", that would keep me from complaining about the almost useless door handle. There's no way I will get used to it, I just won't be able to use it. I'm 6'4" with ape arms and I still can't reach it comfortably. I'm quite sure there is an elegant solution that would keep the product liability attorneys from preying on poor Ford for a few cracked ribs.

I agree with a previous poster; If Ford really wanted to make some points with people, they should offer all of us 2006 owners new door panel assemblies. In my business, admitting a mistake and making it right nearly always cements a customer for life. As I said before, this is a pretty satisfying SUV on most other counts.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    I'll second that emotion. 4mos and 4,000 miles later, it is the only thing I dislike. I love the rest, by far the best of my 3 explorers to date, and the 1st 2 were great. I drove the '07 first, and the recess in the armrest made all the difference in the world. I like the door handle fine, and the grab bar is pretty much useless. I bet they could even come up with a kit allowing the recessed cup to be fit in the existing armrest without too much trouble.

BTW- bought the '06 because at the time it had 0% and the '07 did not.
    I don't blame you for taking the deal on an '06 instead of the '07. I would too; actually I did. I guess I was not as specific as I should have been in my last post. The handle that opens the door is odd, but OK, the armrest is good, but the door pull is stupid. It actually intrudes a little on the side of my left shin at times. Good motoring.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I have had the 2006 Explorer for almost 3 months and have driven 4,634 miles. The door latch seems just fine. The door pull handle is not quite as bad as I had thought after seeing it at the car show when the 2006 models were introduced. However, the door often fails to close completely, so I have to re-open it and try again, as the ackward position means that I have poor leverage. I have had the door panels off to change the speakers, and the armrest is part of the entire assembly. However, Ford could and should either come up with a free kit to change the armrest to one with a pull cup, or just offer anyone who wants them new door panels.
    You are only annoyed with it because it is different. If you had a chance to get used to it, you won't notice it.

Have had the car now for 2 months. I'm used to it. I still hate it.

Incidentally, if you were ever in a side impact and had your ribs cracked by a hard plastic door handle I bet you would run to the court house to sue Ford for putting the handle where it could crack your ribs.

Now, c'mon, you don't know anything about me! FYI, I sit too high for it to crack anything but maybe my cell phone on my belt. Secondly, my last 5 Explorers had no projectile items to crush my ribs, and were easy to close. This is just a hideous design, and if you designed it, then shame on you. Don't know why anybody else would defend it.

Lastly, I don't sue over accidents. Actually, I don't sue over anything product related - being one of the old fashioned guys who thinks there is some risk in driving, and I accept that. I appreciate all the safety features in today's cars, and I use seat belts. But I may get hit, I may hit someone, if I get hurt, it's not the car's fault, and Ford should not have to guarantee their product for life.
    Quote "Unfortunately, we don't have a physical desrcription of the engineer"

Hey, we could make one up!!!...

I need to get a life...:):):):):)...I spend too much time on Edmunds...
    It could be worse.....you could spend your time at auctions, just diddling with the cars, like I do.... :surprise:
    It could be worse.....you could spend your time at auctions ...

Don't forget your iPAQ or Palm PDA and logon to Edmunds2Go! :shades:

tidester, host
    I have that tidester, it's nice. Also, nice shameless plug for your employer! :P
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    Maybe we can interest you in a nice shirt?

Or how about a spiffy ballcap?

:shades:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• 2006 Explorer XLT V8 6 speed. Around 6k miles I started to have this problem, if I drive in slow traffic, lots of stop start, when I try to pull away from stationary (Traffic lights), the tranny will drag, pushing down pedal & truck hardly moves. Could be dangerous if trying to pull out of side rd. Have taken to dealer 3-4 times, they can't replicate, connected to test equipement. Truck now 17k miles, still an intermittent problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
    I have 2 questions: 1) When it does this, do you get the wrench in your message center, either in amber or red?

2) How do you resolve it? Does restarting the engine fix it until next time?

Because, that's exactly what mine does, only it does it in reverse, only when cold starting, first start of the day.

It's in the dealer right now for resolution.....
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Do you hear a clunk and then the truck starts to move by chance? If so then your rear brake caliper(s) are just sticking due to the e-brake being on for a long period of time which is common for vehciles equipped with 4-wheel discs.