Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    are the rear seats in the GM vehicles really removable and not fold-flat?

what a huge mistake.

the GM units will compete on rpice - they will be cheaper than the ford. and i concur that the cost cutting at ford will probably cost ford some.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Absolutely they are. Their rear axle is still solid, like the Model T was, and their transmission is still a 4 speed - the Nissan has 5, and the Fords have 6 speeds. They look great - but honestly, they are the same old truck the old ones were - nothing much new under the truck.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "Absolutely they are. Their rear axle is still solid, like the Model T was, and their transmission is still a 4 speed - the Nissan has 5, and the Fords have 6 speeds. They look great - but honestly, they are the same old truck the old ones were - nothing much new under the truck."

I believe they now have cylinder deactivation, and actually are rated at better mpg than the previous generation. The now also ride and handle better than the previous generation.

But the bottom line is this - EVEN WITH A 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION - EVEN WITH THE NON-FOLDABLE THIRD SEAT - EVEN WITH THE OLD MOTORS - the sells are up and the transaction (final) price is up as well. So apparently buyers feel there is something more to pay their hard earned money for.
    One can't say that about the "redesign that isn't" on the Ford Explorer.
    We all know THERE ARE A TON of used Explorers and Suburbans that can be had real cheap if you want to save some money!
    Proving once again, chuck1, that form over function still sells the most cars, right?
    "form over function still sells the most cars, right?"

Agreed! Most people will not even think about a 4 speed tranny vs. a six speed. Or a pushrod vs. OHC motor. Nope, with most people these things are not even a consideration!
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    are the rear seats in the GM vehicles really removable and not fold-flat?

See for yourself! This is the '07 Cadillac Escalade from Edmunds' full test BTW. This copy rang the register at over $66k.

And even though I like the looks of the new Escalade better than the new Navigator (which I really hate, BTW, and will not buy), I wouldn't buy the Escalade because of that damn, old fashioned, out of date, ridiculously useless and inferior back seat. I'd get an Infiniti - they have at least figured out how to copy Ford's design and implement it. The Cadillac looks better all over, but function matters to me. Typical GM Form over Function engineering.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459
    other than the c and d pillars being wider, the whole light colored upper portion looks like an exact copy of an '02-05 explorer. probably expedition too.
    love those cadillac front seats, though.
    If the Explorer is "all new", they did a hellova job concealing it from the public.

I like Cadillac seats as well, and several other things about it, including how it looks. The moronic, unfunctional 3rd row though, just makes me furious, and I can't have it. I'd be psycho if I did, every time I had to use it.
    "I'd be psycho if I did, every time I had to use it."

I agree - it's a bad idea. And it doesn't even matter that some of us might not even need to remove it very often....but when you do that's when you break your back!
    "If the Explorer is "all new", they did a hellova job concealing it from the public"

Yes! I give everybody permission to use the phrase I coined -"The redesign that isn't!"
    If the Explorer is "all new", they did a hellova job concealing it from the public.

How true. You rarely see a commercial or ad for it. However, when you do see one they do tout it as "The best Explorer ever" and I agree 100%.

It's almost like Ford has given up on the Explorer for now (which may or may not be really smart) and I'm betting we see a TV ad for the Edge every five minutes in the Fall.
    "I'm betting we see a TV ad for the Edge every five minutes in the Fall."

Gee, I hope we see SOMETHING ON TV in the fall! Bill doesn't think TV sells cars....and it shows....
    Bill doesn't think TV sells cars....and it shows....

Did he really say that? Anyway, I see plenty of Fusion, Milan, Escape, and F-150 commercials all the time. I've seen one Explorer commercial one time only.

A really cool Mustang GT commercial aired often during American Idol this past season which I hope they never take off the air. The commercial that is. :blush:
    Yes, I've had insiders say that Bill really doesn't think TV sells cars, Dealers sell cars, let THEM advertise them. But, he reluctantly lets some go on, just in case he's wrong. Therefore, the Advertising budget is periously slim at Ford, and goes to the vehicles they own the market in already generally, or new product only. I'm surprised how much they are advertising the Zephyr. Even Malone in Without a Trace is driving one. An FBI agent in a Lincoln? I don't think that is a great endorsement - around here the FBI drives Malibus and Tauri. Now, if they could get Jennifer Garner to speed around in one....maybe.... :blush:
    "I see plenty of Fusion, Milan, Escape, and F-150 commercials"

All the cars you mentioned (with the Exception of the Escape) are all new. You can't tell that the Explorer is. THE REDESIGN HAS COMPLETELY FAILED TO GENERATE SALES - COMMERCIALS OR NOR COMMERCIALS.

IT THE (RE)DESIGN...LET'S NOT MAKE THIS MORE COMPLEX THAN IT IS!!!
    THE REDESIGN HAS COMPLETELY FAILED TO GENERATE SALES - COMMERCIALS OR NOR COMMERCIALS.

IT THE (RE)DESIGN...LET'S NOT MAKE THIS MORE COMPLEX THAN IT IS!!!

You're missing the point king of capital letters. Obviously the semi-new exterior isn't turning heads but commercials would help get the message across that it is new everywhere else. When you see one on the road you don't see the interior which is worlds better than the previous version. That and some other key info would help sales IMO.

BTW, yelling through you keystrokes doesn't make what you post any more right than if you type in a more civilized tone. ;)
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 372
    When you see one on the road you don't see the interior which is worlds better than the previous version.
    Personally I like the interior of my 2004 Mountaineer w/Luxury trim (Explorer Eddie Bauer) better than the new ones. I like the dash on my Mountaineer way more. I like the steering wheel and the way the Audio, Climate, and Cruise controls look. IMHO I feel it was much better in those areas.
    I agree with you on the audio and climate controls. The new Delphi units aren't quite as nice as the old Visteon units IMO too. I also think the old CC buttons were easier to use but I like the way the new one's look a bit better. There's no comparison regarding the dash and everything else for me though. The old interior design was too bland for me. The Mountaineer was a bit better than the Explorer due to some extra standard features but both turned me off.
  • Hey I am looking into buying a new SUV to replace my 04 Honda Accord. The Accord has been great, but I would like to change things up and buy a small/midsize suv that has more power than my 4 cylinder 160 hp Accord and handles like a car. I am considering 5 SUVs: Nissan Xterra, Toyota Rav 4, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the Ford Explorer. So far I have only driven the base model Xterra and loved the way it drove, but would like to add more accesories. The power from the 265 hp is great and I like how Nissan designed its interior and exterior. I am looking into the SE model in Night Armor with an optional Grille/Brush guard. Is the Xterra the way to go or should I look elsewhere? I am worried about the gas mileage of the Xterra as well. Please let me know with you guys think!
    -MM