Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• I have posted before about the harsh and abrubt shifting in my 2006 Mountaineer. Ford claims that how we drive creates this problem. If we roll threw stops or do double footed driving etc then this causes the transmission to shift harshly. This is actually in their own words! By reading other messages related to this it is obvious Ford does not want to acknowledge this is a design flaw for fear of recalls or whatever. Those of us who are having this problem need to banned together and submit complaints. A good place to do this is at http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint.php. I just filed my complaint. I am looking into doing a class action against Ford who only sends the dealership recalibrations that only clear up the problem for a short time. Please let me know if anyone else is interested or experiencing the same problem.
  • jbuck2jbuck2 Posts: 12
    Moutaineer power problems persist now I have gone through arbitration via the BBB and Ford. Now since I have gone through 6 fixes over 1.5 years wait for the next fix etc..... I have been denied because I have too many miles on the vehicle.Do I file a law suit who is a good attorney in Kentucky? What is the next move.What about a class action law suit? Is there any thing like that available to join? I'm sick of this... :lemon:
  • Depending on your state laws, I believe it is after the first date/mileage of ford's notice of the problem, which includes the service order with your dealership. Did you report this as a problem within the alloted span of the limited warranty?
  • Those of us who have been experiencing this problem are all fed up with Ford's inability and/or refusal to acknowlegde this problem. I posted a web site in an earlier post that has lawyers listed by State that deal with class action suits. You can also post a complaint at the same web site. I have already done this. I also checked where it asked if I would be interested in a class action suit. Doesn't seem like the BBB is of much help on this, because they do not get the true information from Ford. Ford has been lying to the BBB in that they claim their Mountaineers and Explorers that have this tendency are working as designed and are caused by the driver's characteristics! As we all know, Ford has posted a bulletin to the dealers stating not to "Attempt any repairs" on this problem and to wait for the next calibration, which was in mid November. It is a programming issue and I'm sure Ford has a problem trying to change it, because they risk screwing up emissions and probably fuel economy that have been set to governmental standards. So the result is Ford is stalling and fears a huge recall. My suggestion would be if we contact each other and give email, we can form some group that could start some type movement towards a class action suit. I'll wait to see what others on here will say.
  • Help! I just bought a new 2008 Mercury Mountaineer. There is a blinking red light on top of the dashboard facing the hood. I have looked all through the book and I can't find out what that light is for and why it constantly blinks. Can anyone help? :confuse:
  • It's the car alarm. It blinks when it's armed, off when unarmed.
  • I thought it only had a passive alarm system. I can't figure out how to turn off the light.
  • Unless you purchased an optional active alarm system, it does only come with a passave (aka - ignition lockout) system that will only let the engine run for a few seconds without the correct key/chip used. The light blinks continuously whenever the key is removed and stops when the key is inserted. Short of removing the bulb, there is no way to turn it off. If it bothers you that much you could always just put a little piece of black tape over the light.
    ;)
  • Thank you so much! The light doesn't bother me, only that fact that I thought something was wrong and I should be able to turn it off. You've eased my mind.
  • We're also interested in whether there's a class action suit against them. We purchased our second mercury mountaineer three years ago and before it hit 60k miles, our transmission went, the racken pinion (sp) and the rotars all went in the same week. Three weeks later something else went. A total of around $4500. As with most people, that loss of funds drained us and Ford Motor Credit wouldn't work with us on payments, so this past Wednesday the repo man paid us a visit and we had to say goodbye to our truck. We were starting to have problems with the transmission and the engine again, so we just let it go. Please let me know if you have come across anyone doing a class action suit against them. These issues certainly should have been a recall.
  • gldnbr2gldnbr2 Posts: 16
    I am not sure if there are any class action suits against them concerning the transmissions. A good place to check or register a complaint is at the following web site: http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint.php
    Ford needs to clean up their act in regards to their transmissions. Unfortunately, I will never purchase another Ford because of their attitude and the poor quality of their transmissions. This I feel is a shame, because I like so many things about the Mountaineer.
  • 88domer88domer Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Mountaineer V8 AWD and have the problem you describe with the "rear-ending". It does not happen with every stop, but it does happen every time I drive the truck. The dealer said to rotate the tires as the system senses a different wheel speed due to the different diameters caused by wear. It seemed to help a little as the forward jump seemed to be less pronounced and less frequent. It did not go away altogether, unfortunately. My wife did go over a curb rather violently and knocked the alignment off a bit. The dealer said that may cause the problem I am experiencing. I have yet to test that theory by getting an alignment. I do not have any shifting problems (yet)from start as others unfortunately have. It is just that fwd lurch at a stop. Other people have said that it is the traction control re-setting itself.
    I was curious as to the results and steps taken to correct this problem and if they had any lasting effect? Does the November TSB that eveyone is blogging about relate to this?
    Thank you
    88Domer
  • sacmtnrsacmtnr Posts: 15
    Just a quick update on my Mountaineer. I recently took it in for the latest transmission flash update. It does seem to be shifting a little smoother even after a few weeks. Not a big difference, and not perfect, but it is a little better. After one year and 15000 miles I am use to the shifting. This is still also the only minor complaint aboiut the vehicle. Everything else about the vehicle is very solid and as good as the day I drove it home from the dealer. Mileage is consistantly 14 in town and between 20 and 22 on the highway. I did notice a 1 mpg increase when I switched to fully synthetic Amsoil 0W-20 oil.
    Again I think this is a great vehicle and with a little effort by Ford it could become even better.
    I have not heard of this abrubt thumb when stopping as being caused by tires. Every person I have spoken to have been told it is a programming issue. I guess Ford will do anything to make people believe the problem with their transmission is anything other than a design flaw. I would suggest you have the newest program downloaded as suggested in other posts. I had my last one done in late November and it has improved slightly, but still has the same problem, but just not as abrubt as before. It still hesitates slightly when starting up from a corner, because it seems confused as to what gear it's suppose to be in. I've given up on this vehicle and will no longer purchase another Ford. When my lease is up next year, I will be happy to walk away from this problem. I recently bought a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood with 91,000 miles to drive instead of the Mountaineer. It shifts smoothly and runs much better then my Mountaineer and its 13 years older. I'll use the Mountaineer in bad weather or when I need to haul something. The Mountaineer has many great qualities, it's just to bad that Ford is acting the way they are and turning away customers who have enjoyed their products over the years.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Posts: 211
    Sorry, and surprised, to read of your problems. Our Explorer, a '99 XLT with 104,000 miles, has been very reliable and fairly flawless. We use it somewhat as a truck- to haul construction materials, tow an 18' trailer, drive in deep snow & back roads. It has been good enough that a new Explorer would be the first thing to look at when I decide to replace it. I am careful with maintenance. I am not saying that all Ford products are great; we had a bad experience with a Ford Contour and a great experience with a Ford Taurus SHO. Now we have one German-built sedan and one Japanese-built sedan and have no allegiance to any one particular brand..
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    My 2006 Explorer V8 has exhibited some slight 1-2 upshift and downshift problems since it was new, but they were too slight for me to bother taking it in for service. I now have 34,600 miles on it, and the problem (occasionally feeling like being hit from behind on some stops, occasional jerky take-off from stops) had worsened, so I took it to Rancho Santa Margarita Ford. I especially appreciate the transmission mechanic's desire to having it right before returning it to me. He worked on it, and it was supposed to be finished at the end of the day Wednesday. However, when I arrived to pick it up, Duane in the service department explained that the mechanic was not statisfied with the way it shifted, so wanted to replace more parts. I picked it up this morning (Friday), and it is very, very smooth.

They did not have the paperwork ready when I picked it up, and I did not care, as it was warranty work, so I do not know what they replaced, although I think they will mail the paperwork.

I see that some of you seem to have the probelms return after the transmission was repaired. Is that correct?
    From my own experience I would say yes to your question. It comes down to a computer download that reprograms the transmission. It will shift smooth for a few hundred miles, but eventually comes back. I have had this done several times only to have it reappear. The last one has improved it more than the other downloads, but it still on occasion shifts with the feeling of "being hit from behind." Good luck, and I hope whatever was done will last.
  • dave1309dave1309 Posts: 16
    I went thru the same process and had all the problems associated with the transmission. Returned to the dealer three times and the last time they had the new flash code program. The mechanic also replaced something called a valve body and cleaned that area of any gunk and buildup.
    When I picked my Explorer up the mechanic also said that he wiped out the adaptive learning part of the computer and to give it a couple of days of normal driving. If I had any problems to bring it back.
    I'm happy to I've been problem free with the tranny. Whatever the dealer did (my mechanical skills are not the best) worked. I think that replacing that valve body with a newly modified version did the trick.
    Awesome! How long has it been since you had it repaired? After my last new flash it took a couple months before it began acting up again. I'll keep my fingers crossed that what your mechanic did will continue to work.
  • dave1309dave1309 Posts: 16
    If I remember correctly the problem was finally fixed (hope) back in late November of 2007. No problems since..........need to find a piece of wood to knock on when I say that, don't want to jinx anything.
    Just returned from a trip to Florida from Northern Virginia. I was curious what the mileage for the entire trip might be so I didn't reset the mileage tracker until we returned home. The trip covered approximately 1900 miles. About 1400 of these were highway, with the rest being just general sight seeing and quite a bit of beach driving (aprox. 60 miles). Also sat in one highway backup on the way home where we only traveled about 5 miles in 2 hours. The total average mileage was 20.8. I was actually very surprised it was that high. I would have expected that for just the highway part of the trip. Will also mention that the vehicle always had 4 people in it.

A note on the transmission issues with the 6 speed, it's been about a month since I had the latest flash update (from late November/ early December actually) done and it still seems to be shifting slightly better. Like I said in an earlier post, it's not perfect but the latest update did seem to make it a little better so might be worth a try for those of you that haven't done it yet.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Good report. Thanks for the update.

While the tranny issues, minor and isolated as they seem to be, make be glad we went with the V6 in our '06 Explorer I think we'll get the V8 if we get a Mountaineer next year when the leas is up. Our best highway mileage came last Summer on a trip from Pittsburgh to the OBX where we averaged just under 22 mpg. Seeing that the V8 gets similar mileage it would be worth the extra $$ just to have the extra power. The hills around here make the V8 slightly strained at times.
    There is definitely a big difference from the V6 to the V8. A friend of mine has an 06 Explorer with the V6 and when I drove that it was easy to see that it wouldn't take much to put a strain on it. Short of trying to pull your house down the street, there is not much that would stress out the V8. I have pulled an enclosed motorcycle trailer (800lb motorcycle inside) and the only way you can tell it's back there is because you can't see out of the rearview mirror. Power and passing speed is very impressive. In my opinion V8 is the only choice.
  • I own a 2006 V6 Mountaineer with 43000 miles on it. Since my first oil change at 3,000 miles the car has had what I call a "flutter" that lasts from about 30 mph to 50 mph whenever I'm accelerating. It sounds similar to the sound you get when you put a playing card in the spoke of a bicycle tire. I've complained about it to the dealer every 3000 miles when I take the car in for oil changes but they haven't been able to figure out the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Were you able to get it fixed?

Thanks
    I just returned from a trip from Chicago to Memphis and back and I did average slightly under 21 mpg on the highway. I thought this was good for the V8.

I have pulled a 3100 lbs trailer with this Mountaineer and found the V8 more than capable of handling that weight.

As for the transmission, after the November flash it has worked better, but not perfect. Too bad this problem has left such a sour note with me towards Ford Motor Company's ability to recognize and admit there is a problem and satisfy their loyal customers.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    There is definitely a big difference from the V6 to the V8.

I actually did drive my father-in-law's '06 EB V8 up and down a couple of side streets once. The power difference was noticeable but his gas mileage was pretty poor compared to what others get. I've rode with him so I'm 100% sure that discrepancy was due to his driving style. He drives like my wife, who is the primary driver of our family hauler, so that kind of worries me. She'll be getting the minimum EPA rating or less no doubt.
  • Hi, Did you ever get your problem with your Explorer resolved? I have an 06 Explorer that hesitates and lunges too. No one seems to know how to fix it and we are trying a different dealership to see if their mechanics are any better.

My Explorer hesitates, lunges and shakes. It happens sporadically, however the mechanics have acknowledged the problem and tried to fix it via computer codes and replacement of the throttle body...twice within the warranty of the part.

Please let me know what steps you took to get your car fixed or if it wasn't fixable. My car has been back numerous times for the same issue. The diagnosis is always the same thing...computer codes or not having the correct computer codes. If anyone else has had the same issues, please contact me.
  • Yes I did get the problem resolved for now (feel like I should knock on wood) from the dealership. First time was to reflash the codes. Second time a new TSB came out and the dealership replaced the valve body with a new one that had some changes made to it along with replacing the filter and fluid. The TSB also contained another, newer, code flash that seemed to make the difference. Before I left the dealership the mechanic did advise me that he removed all the stored memory from the adaptive learning module. He said it may act up again briefly but his suggestion was to drive it about 50 miles (round trip to a small town near me and back) and that should reset everything.

I did as he advised and have not had any problems since ro maybe I should say so far. As a result of this problem I purchased an extended warranty just in case and I've never had to do that before.

Everything the dealership did was under warranty and didn't cost me a dime. Guess I was lucky that the dealer was willing to go the extra mile and the service guy told me up front the first time I was in that they had been seeing this type of problem frequently. He said Ford was supposed to be working on the problem and a new TSB was coming out along with a redesigned valve body (the one I mentioned earlier).

Good Luck trying to get it resolved.
  • hi i own 2006 mercury mountaineer awd v8 when i come to stop my transmission kicks hard in to gear like i have been hit from behind does anyone have any fixes for this
  • Does anyone know of any extension towing mirrors I can get for my 06 Mountaineer?