Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• how many people have had the problem with the od light coming on, the message transmission light comes on, transmission slips, up shifts, then it just started slipping, i had only 88,000+ miles on vehicle, transmission was checked and had to be rebuilt, there was a a bad design somewhere, when a piece of equipment wont even last 100,000 miles, it just gives you doubts about ford products. all maintenance work was kept up through ford dealership.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Posts: 211
    What engine and transmission does the Mountaineer have? It is hard for me to have doubts about (all?) Ford products because your (one) Mountaineer has a problem. I've had Ford products that gave me wonderful service and some that weren't so great, but I never thought that I could make a blanket statement about all Ford products.
  • I'm looking at an '07 Ford Explorer (4WD) in the V8 & wondered what are some
    of the problems associated with this years model,...especially from current owner's
    out there. My impressions is that the '06 experienced more reliability issues than
    the '07 Explorer but I don't have an factual data or knowledge if that's true, especially
    involving the transmission. Any comments regarding reliability, what to look out for
    and if the '07 Explorer SUV (4WD) V8 is a good vehicle to pursue in the "used"
    marketplace? Anyone recently purchased one, in the Eddie Bauer Trim, and
    what was the final deal price?
  • gldnbr2gldnbr2 Posts: 16
    There are many nice things that I like about the 06 Mountaineer, but I would not buy another used or new. The transmission in the 06 is horrible. From nearly day one through today it slips and hesitates at slow speeds. It takes a second or more to engage which can be dangerous if you need sudden acceleration. the transmission also suffered an astounding problem of clunking when slowing down to a stop. It felt as if the vehicle was struck from behind. After over a year Ford came out with a fix that has actually limited this problem. My mountaineer still will clunk on a rare occasion, but luckily much more minor then before. Many other aspects of this vehicle are exceptional. If deciding to buy be sure the transmission has had the latest fix for the transmission. I would test drive by slowing down to nearly a stop and then re-applying aggressively the accelerator to see if the transmission lags and doesn't engage quickly and smoothly. There should also be no feeling of a jerk or clunk. Good luck.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    It takes a second or more to engage which can be dangerous if you need sudden acceleration. the transmission also suffered an astounding problem of clunking when slowing down to a stop. It felt as if the vehicle was struck from behind.

Like you said there is a software fix for this from Ford. Most who have had it done seem to think it did the trick.

There's a good explanation of the problem by a Ford engineer somewhere on a Ford forum I frequent. It's not a problem with the transmission exactly but rather a side-effect of the new tranny design. Something about it not using a clutch pack or something like that. It wasn't intended and is, IIRC, inherent to the design. I believe the software update changes the shfting algorithm enough to smooth that "bump" feeling which is supposedly not harmful to the tranny at all.

I have an '06 V6 with the 5-speed tranny and it's as smooth as butter so far. However the V8 does get slightly better FE and has a lot more power if you can live with the "bump" or have it fixed and live without it.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    My 2006 Explorer EB V8 with rear wheel drive has 52,000 miles on it and has been a wonderful vehicle. It is a work vehicle, and has no third row seat and no factory subwoofer, thus making the rear storage area wide enough for my 15' Little Giant ladder and various tools and supplies used for inspecting and testing for toxic / hazardous materials. I installed an pioneer AVIC-Z1 navigation and sound system, with XM, XM Navtraffic, Bluetooth for wireless cell phone use, and a rear view camera, plus four speakers, just after I bought it.

When I destroyed one of the factory tires, I replaced the factory tires with the excellent Pirelli Scorpion STRa tires, a substantial improvement.

All of the negative comments regarding the transmission really seem to eb comments regarding specific dealer mechanics. My 2006 EB V8 had a problem with a rough downshift to first when coming to a stop, but it did not bother me much. I only had it fixed just before the warrantly expired to take advantage of the free service. The mechanic at Santa Margarita ford kept it for several days, and took it apart twice to get it right.

I lock and unlock the doors many times on a typical day, so was not surprised when the power lock on the driver's door failed last week. I removed the door latch on Saturday, dismantled it Sunday, found a small gear worn at one end, flipped the gear on its shaft, and lubricated the mechanism. It should bb good for another 50,000 miles..
    My 2006 EB V8 had a problem with a rough downshift to first when coming to a stop, but it did not bother me much.

That's the one everyone is talking about. I'm not sure why your dealer was taking the tranny apart because there is a software fix for it. They should be able to take care of it in less than an hour.
  • Have to agree with Baggs.

I had the same problem and the fix was two stage. First time a new code was released to flash the system but I still had problems. Second time (several weeks later) another new code was released along with replacing something called a Valve Body that evidently had a new design.
    After the second trip the mechanic told me he cleaned out all the adaptive learning memory and suggested I drive it normally for 50 miles (short trip down the highway) and give it a few miles to readjust. First five miles it had some mild shift problems then it seemed to adjust and have not had any problems since.
    Lucky for me this was all under warranty however I did buy an extended warranty just in case.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796
    My sister has an '04 Explorer XLT and the exterior panel (plastic, I think) located between the rear hach glass and the license plate recently cacked into two pieces! Since that happened, I've spotted at least four other Explorers with the same broken panel...so I'm guessing this isn't an isolate incident?

Does anyone else know about this issue or perhaps you've experienced the same problem? I'd love to find out that Ford will replace it (even though the warranty is long gone), but I'm wondering if it was a defective part altogether that they should be paying to replace?

Any advice will be appreciated!
    I've read about your cracked hatch problem before. IIRC, Ford does not fix that under warranty unfortunately. Others have stated they had to pay for it out of pocket. That's not to say you can't try if you still have some kind of warranty working for you though. I've only read about it a few times.
  • I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer with the same problem. I took it to the dealer and was told [non-permissible content removed] was a design problem. Dealer repaired with no cost to me.
    When did they repair it at no cost to you? I'm just wondering if Ford finally realized what was going on and decided to pay now. I wonder if they are reimbursing those who did pay previously?
  • jdhjdh Posts: 19
    I am considering buying used 2008 explorer ltd. Vehicle has 18" tires and do not know how they will do in snow compared to 17" tires. Can anyone give me any info on this.
    Jack
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    My '06 EB 4WD has 18 inch tires, and other than the cost to replace, I have had no problems with them. The wife hit a curb at about 5,000 and the one tire was close to $200. I'm hoping they have come down some since I'll have to look for a new set in about 10k.

They were gret this winter in snow and ice, and it was a worse than average winter.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    this looked like an oversized taurus x... i was hoping the new explorer isn't going to be like this. i saw a photo in car and driver mag of the 2011 explorer and i liked that much better.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    Maybe they got their test mules mixed up. :)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• jdhjdh Posts: 19
    has anyone tried to pair a pantec breeze cell phone to their 2008 ford explorer.

jack
  • sacmtnrsacmtnr Posts: 15
    I have a 2007 Mountaineer and it's about ready for new tires. It came with Michelin Cross Terrains and they have been a great tire. I have been told by Michelin that they are being phased out and replaced by the Michelin Latitude Tour. However, you cannot get the Tour in the 235-65-18 size. It is available in the 245-60-18 size which is extremely close in overall dimensions to the 235's and is in fact almost exactly the same overall dimensions as the standard size (18's are optional) 245-65-17's that come on Mountaineer's and Explorer's. Was just wondering if anyone else has opted for the 245-60-18's and if so how do they like them. I have heard very good things about the Latitude Tour but was just wondering if there was a specific reason it didn't come in the optional Explorer and Mountaineer sizes.
  • I am hoping you can help me as I also have a ford explorer 2006 that has the same problem (you described it well). I bought it used and it has 72k miles. Do you know what they did to fix yours?
    Steve
  • The Ford or Mercury dealerships have a "flash" fix for the transmission. It's some type of computer download that they install onto the computer on your vehicle. I think they have finally figured the correct download to help reduced the transmission issue. I know longer own the 06 Mountaineer, but the last "flash" that was done on it, seemed to make it work better. Good luck!
  • Same for mine when I had a 2006. Dealer reflashed the codes twice and replaced the valve body on the transmission. Was still under warranty so no cost to me. Shop mechanic said he cleared the adaptive learning module and told me to drive it for 20 miles or so at different speeds etc. Had no further problems after that.
  • I have 2007 Mountaineer also and tire rack has both Michilin Tires for the Mountaineer, the Lattitude and the Cross Terrain. So I would get the one I'm most comfortable with and you don't have to worry about switching sizes.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    edited October 2010
    My 2006 Explorer EB V8 RWD continues to be trouble-free. It now has 99,061 miles on it.

At 88,205 miles I replaced the worn-out Pirelli Scopion STR-A tires with Pirelli Scorpion STR tires. Shortly thereafter, I had it aligned, and the transmission fluid and differential lube changed at Santa Margarita Ford.

The transmission was serviced under warranty. It will still seldon downshift roughly to first, but the key word is seldom, or very seldom. I can't discern any patttern, and it is barely worth mentioning.

The electric door lock motor has been the only problem part, but I sometimes lock and unlock the doors many more times per day than most people. There is a plastic gear on the motor shaft which contacts a metal part, so this is just a bad design. Replacing it was not difficult or expensive, and gave me an opportunity to really scrub s stain froma spilled drink off of the plastic door panel.

I weigh 210, but think it is probably time to replace the seat cushion foam, esopecially to be sure it stays as comfortable as possible sitting in southern Califorrnia traffic!
  • I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury with 53000 miles. When I put it into reverse it delays like i put it into neutral and then it bangs real hard into reverse like I got rearended. What is the problem.
  • I have a oil change message every time I start my 2008 Mountaineer!The thing is I only have 2000mi. on the oil.I keep pushing the reset button that only last until the next time I start it. Is there any way to reset it so it won't come on again?
  • Last week my airbag (drivers) warning light would come on when the vehicle was first started and then remain on. It would only do this when first started in the morning. By the weekend it would come on and stay on all the time. After searching many online forums I saw many posts saying this is usually caused by a weak and/or almost dead battery. Not sure how these two things are related but over 3/4 of the posts about the airbag light coming on said it was due to a weak battery. So I replaced the battery and low and behold that did the trick. I'm sure it is some type of software glitch with the computer system that went unnoticed for several years until the batteries started going bad. And of course Ford isn't going to tell anyone about it since it leads to most people bringing their car in to service the airbag. I just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else was encountering the same issue. Not saying it's definitely or always going to be the battery but it does seem to be a very common occurrence. And if your battery is 4 or 5 years old it's about time for a new one anyway so it might be worth a shot before taking it to the dealer.
  • My XLT has been in and out of service for FOUR YEARS without Ford finding out the source of my problem. All the codes have been updated numerous times, throttle bodies have been replaced and recently a mechanic thought it may be the radiator getting too hot and slowing the car down. When I step on the gas, it feels as though I am in neutral. This happens in both drive and reverse, while driving at speeds of 30-45 mph and from start up from lights stops signs, etc.
    Ford is saying that they have not seen this problem in any other cars and they do not know how to fix it. I purchased this car from Ernie Haire in Tampa, Florida with about 19k miles. I am now at 83k miles with an expired extended warranty.
    If anyone else has had this problem, please contact me as I do love my car and would like for this issue to be resolved.
    I can't imagine an engine being so difficult to diagnose that NOT one person can figure out the problem. The problem is intermittent . A VDR was installed but I believe that they are most likely dinosaur technology as we could not get one to work once installed.
    This week, I am supposed to go in again for another attempt at diagnosis via some type of computer. If this doesn't work I may have to call the psychic hotline...lol. I look forward to hearing if anyone else has experienced any of my issues with an 06 Explorer.
  • Hi,
    It seems that you and I are going through the same thing. I switched dealerships as well but the latest one cannot determine the problem either. Switching dealerships is not a bad idea however, does not guarantee a solution. Did you have any luck?
  • Great note....I have a 2006 Explorer V-8 purchased used in January 2010. Car was put in service in February 2006, so my battery is approaching five years old. I have recently (last couple of months) had this same issue with the airbag light. Generally, if the car is sitting overnight or longer, the airbag light will stay on when you first start and drive. If you run around doing errands, and stop and start the car again after a short drive, the airbag light will go off when started. If I use is several times in the same day, the light will normally go off.

I was going to take it to the dealer, but of course thought I would wait until the light stayed on most of the time, as the dealer would probably not find the problem, unless they kept it overnight and started it only one time in the morning.

Thanks.

Bel Air Car Guy