Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    Quote: "I'd fire the engineer who designed that faster than Donald Trump"

Why would you fire Donald Trump for the armrest fiasco???

Heh, heh, heh, heh.....:):):):):)

Sorry, had a few minutes to kill, and you seemed like the one to pick on... :P ;)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I'd fire the engineer who designed that faster than Donald Trump.

I understand that Mr. Trump is into giving people second chances these days. :D

tidester, host
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Oh, that's funny!!! Well, I wouldn't. And I'd fire the whole committee that let that door panel get into production - it is the most assinine thing I've seen in decades - and it's so ridiculous because the Explorer has always had one of the most ergonomically correct cabin around - this thing should actually be recalled IMO.
    Only if you are female, beautiful, sexy, and young...

If she looked like Helen Thomas of the White House Press Corp, she might be wearing cement overshoes, never to be heard from again...

Actually, back in 1994, in the movie True Lies, when the terrorist from the Islamic Jihad was hanging from the Harrier side-mounted missle, Arnold says, just before launch, "You're Fired"...beat Trump by almost a decade...
    Only if you are female, beautiful, sexy, and young...

Unfortunately, we don't have a physical desrcription of the engineer. ;)

tidester, host
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    You are only annoyed with it because it is different. If you had a chance to get used to it, you won't notice it.

Incidentally, if you were ever in a side impact and had your ribs cracked by a hard plastic door handle I bet you would run to the court house to sue Ford for putting the handle where it could crack your ribs.

Mark.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I read elsewhere that Ford showed employees a next Explorer based on a Volvo vehicle. I wonder if that is the XC-90, or more properly, the next generation XC-90 based on the upcoming next generation S-80? If Ford is reading - a V8, rear wheel drive, and an independent rear suspension are my requirements for any and all future vehicle purchases (perhaps a super or turbo-charged 4 would be OK, as in teh C230 we now own, but the V8 is really best).
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    I've owned and driven a lot of different cars and trucks over 35 years. Never had anything with a door handle this stupid. My ribs could be whacked very efficiently by the armrest as it sits, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. If they had simply put a deep finger groove in the armrest for "grab-ability", that would keep me from complaining about the almost useless door handle. There's no way I will get used to it, I just won't be able to use it. I'm 6'4" with ape arms and I still can't reach it comfortably. I'm quite sure there is an elegant solution that would keep the product liability attorneys from preying on poor Ford for a few cracked ribs.

I agree with a previous poster; If Ford really wanted to make some points with people, they should offer all of us 2006 owners new door panel assemblies. In my business, admitting a mistake and making it right nearly always cements a customer for life. As I said before, this is a pretty satisfying SUV on most other counts.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    I'll second that emotion. 4mos and 4,000 miles later, it is the only thing I dislike. I love the rest, by far the best of my 3 explorers to date, and the 1st 2 were great. I drove the '07 first, and the recess in the armrest made all the difference in the world. I like the door handle fine, and the grab bar is pretty much useless. I bet they could even come up with a kit allowing the recessed cup to be fit in the existing armrest without too much trouble.

BTW- bought the '06 because at the time it had 0% and the '07 did not.
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    I don't blame you for taking the deal on an '06 instead of the '07. I would too; actually I did. I guess I was not as specific as I should have been in my last post. The handle that opens the door is odd, but OK, the armrest is good, but the door pull is stupid. It actually intrudes a little on the side of my left shin at times. Good motoring.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I have had the 2006 Explorer for almost 3 months and have driven 4,634 miles. The door latch seems just fine. The door pull handle is not quite as bad as I had thought after seeing it at the car show when the 2006 models were introduced. However, the door often fails to close completely, so I have to re-open it and try again, as the ackward position means that I have poor leverage. I have had the door panels off to change the speakers, and the armrest is part of the entire assembly. However, Ford could and should either come up with a free kit to change the armrest to one with a pull cup, or just offer anyone who wants them new door panels.
    You are only annoyed with it because it is different. If you had a chance to get used to it, you won't notice it.

Have had the car now for 2 months. I'm used to it. I still hate it.

Incidentally, if you were ever in a side impact and had your ribs cracked by a hard plastic door handle I bet you would run to the court house to sue Ford for putting the handle where it could crack your ribs.

Now, c'mon, you don't know anything about me! FYI, I sit too high for it to crack anything but maybe my cell phone on my belt. Secondly, my last 5 Explorers had no projectile items to crush my ribs, and were easy to close. This is just a hideous design, and if you designed it, then shame on you. Don't know why anybody else would defend it.

Lastly, I don't sue over accidents. Actually, I don't sue over anything product related - being one of the old fashioned guys who thinks there is some risk in driving, and I accept that. I appreciate all the safety features in today's cars, and I use seat belts. But I may get hit, I may hit someone, if I get hurt, it's not the car's fault, and Ford should not have to guarantee their product for life.
    Quote "Unfortunately, we don't have a physical desrcription of the engineer"

Hey, we could make one up!!!...

I need to get a life...:):):):):)...I spend too much time on Edmunds...
    It could be worse.....you could spend your time at auctions, just diddling with the cars, like I do.... :surprise:
    It could be worse.....you could spend your time at auctions ...

Don't forget your iPAQ or Palm PDA and logon to Edmunds2Go! :shades:

tidester, host
    I have that tidester, it's nice. Also, nice shameless plug for your employer! :P
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    Maybe we can interest you in a nice shirt?

Or how about a spiffy ballcap?

:shades:
  • 2006 Explorer XLT V8 6 speed. Around 6k miles I started to have this problem, if I drive in slow traffic, lots of stop start, when I try to pull away from stationary (Traffic lights), the tranny will drag, pushing down pedal & truck hardly moves. Could be dangerous if trying to pull out of side rd. Have taken to dealer 3-4 times, they can't replicate, connected to test equipement. Truck now 17k miles, still an intermittent problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
    I have 2 questions: 1) When it does this, do you get the wrench in your message center, either in amber or red?

2) How do you resolve it? Does restarting the engine fix it until next time?

Because, that's exactly what mine does, only it does it in reverse, only when cold starting, first start of the day.

It's in the dealer right now for resolution.....
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Do you hear a clunk and then the truck starts to move by chance? If so then your rear brake caliper(s) are just sticking due to the e-brake being on for a long period of time which is common for vehciles equipped with 4-wheel discs.