Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

1373839404143»

Comments

• I have an 03 Ford Explorer Sport Trac & last night when I pulled out onto a highway and tried to excelerate, the truck slowed down. It did this for about 15 minutes. I parked it for about 10 minutes & when I drove it home, it was fine. I'm taking it to advance today to have them hook their machine up to it. My friend seems to think it's a sensor going bad. When I find out the cause, I'll let you know....unless you finally figured out what the cause was. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • jhggjhgg Posts: 2
    It is happening exactly the same to my 06 Explorer XLT. Is being doing it for 2 month already. I tooked to AAMCO but when they tried the explorer, it didn't show the issue. I went and change the transmition fluid, by the way dark brown in color, and the issue disapreared for a few days; two weeks later it was back doing the same: 12 or 15 miles after start there was a decreasing speed and making a sound like it was accelerating but not gaining on speed. I have been noticing that the antifreezer is going dry very often. I am to tell you that my experienced as a mecanic, for cars, is "zero" and I can be wrong, but let me tell you what I found. At the moment I changed the fluid, the antifreezant tank was empty; they filled out; I opened the hood and saw that once more antifreezant was empty, and filled-out; right after 30 miles, explorer stop doing it, acceletating (like in neutral). Does someone know if somehow there is a conection between the transmission and the radiator (antifreezant unit?) or if getting heat the computer starts failing or sending wrong commands? Is being about 3 days since I did it and explorer is running with any problem.
  • jhggjhgg Posts: 2
    It is happening exactly the same to my 06 Explorer XLT. Is been doing it for 2 month already. I tooked it to AAMCO but when they tried the explorer, it didn't show the issue. I went and change the transmition fluid, by the way dark brown in color, and the issue disapreared for a few days; two weeks later it was back doing the same: 12 or 15 miles after start there was a decrease in speed and the noise too, like it was accelerating but not gaining on speed. I have been noticing that the antifreezer is going dry very often. I am to tell you that my experienced as a mecanic, for cars, is "zero" and I can be wrong, but let me tell you what I found. At the moment I changed the fluid, the antifreezer tank was empty; they filled out; three days ago, I opened the hood in the explorer and saw that once more antifreezant was empty, and filled-out again; right after 30 miles, explorer stop doing it, acceletating (like in neutral). Does someone know if somehow there is a conection between the transmission and the radiator (antifreezant unit?) or if getting heat the computer starts failing or sending wrong commands? Is being about 3 days since I did it and explorer is running with any problem.
  • Wow! You're right about the thermostat housing. I didn't realize that was the problem with my acceleration until you posted this. A few months ago, all my antifreeze leaked out & I almost ruined my engine. After figuring out where it was leaking from (the thermostat housing), my mechanic replaced it for me, and since then I haven't had any more trouble with the truck bogging down on me when I accelerate. I haven't had any other issues since then, (knock on wood), so I think I'll hold off doing those other repairs you mentioned. Especially since I can't afford it right now anyway. Thanks for posting this!
  • Yes, I know what the connection is now. After filtering all the "intentional misinformation" for 5 long years from 2 dealerships, I have finally found out what is wrong with these crappy Ford and Mercury vehicles. Your story sound just like mine! You are losing antifreeze because you have a crack in your THERMOSTAT HOUSING.

When I was at the Veteran's Ford Dealership in 2010, the service mgr told me to make sure that I kept putting in coolant. I thought that was odd. He went through the whole talk about what color I should buy and to make sure that I check it often. Hmmm, it all makes perfect sense.

Are there any attorneys posting on this site? We need to ban together and ensure that this matter is fixed for all of us, even if our warranties have ended.

The issue at hand, non acceleration of Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers is a KNOWN defect in these models, occurring in the years 1997-2009 caused by the THERMOSTAT HOUSING UNITS in these vehicles. (you can verify this info from a REAL MECHANIC, not one at the dealership).

I was recently almost killed in Sept of this yr. when my 06 Explorer would not accelerate past 25 mph when pulling into traffic. I barely escaped a large truck crashing into my car.

These THERMOSTAT HOUSING UNITS that Ford uses are made of cheap plastic ... the equivalent to a 1 gallon jug of water/milk. We all know how thin that plastic is...drop one and it cracks in an instant.

Please go and get your THERMOSTAT HOUSING, THEROMOSTAT ASSY, SEAL AND 0-RING checked out. You are losing coolant because of this product defect. When the car gets hot, it doesn't allow the acceleration to take place. It is some type of safety that is built into the car so as not to destroy the engine.

Do not take your car to the dealership to be fixed. Shop around. My mechanic charged me $110.00 less than the dealership quoted me for the repair. Anyway, the dealerships service depts say they can never find the problem, so how in the world would they be able to fix it? Start shopping around and never go to the dealership again for these types of repairs.

Ford does not consider this to be a safety issue so NO RECALL will be announced. I don't know about you readers, but I think it is a safety issue. Cars not accelerating when we need them to accelerate certainly seems to be a problem...it's kind of like being a sitting duck with traffic coming at you in all directions.

I sure hope there haven't been any death related accidents due to these cars not accelerating...any body want to research Explorers/Mountaineers? If we can find out that these cars were involved in accidents that led to deaths, we can then research if these cars had the same issues as our cars. It would only take talking to others, finding out if their cars had histories/paperwork of their cars not accelerating. We could ALL start posting on blogs to find out the stories and we would could easily document all the info we would need.

My non Ford mechanic gave me some info about additional things that need to be fixed. Here is what needs to be fixed and hold onto your wallets because you have to go back to Ford to get these things fixed.

Ford needs to RECALIBRATE the POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE. The info is printed out in a report by ALLDATA online. "Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC's P505/P0506/Hard Start, is the heading of the report. Have them look it up for you so you can see what needs to be fixed.

Supposedly only mechanics can get this info and Ford can ONLY calibrate as they have the computer codes.

This report has all the info on what is wrong with your cars...non acceleration...drive away hesitation...etc.

The powertrain control module PCM) needs to be reprogramed to the latest calibration...something to do with a "sludge problem in the throttle body".

There is a note in this report stating that the procedure has to be followed exactly, to the T. If it is not followed the reprogramming will FAIL. It says that some of the cars have to be driven for several days for the transmission to fully adapt.

Supposedly the IDS (integrated diagnostic system) goes into a sleep mode.

So I believe that this is going to be the problem. You can take your car in to be fixed but if the mechanic doesn't know what he is doing, he can say he reprogrammed the car but he may not have followed the procedures correctly and you car will not perform properly. I've experienced that ... I had certified Ford Mechanics reprogram my car for 5 yrs and none of them could ever get it right.

Finding the right mechanic is just as hard as trying to find a dentist who really knows how to do a root canal.

The info above includes the following cars:

Ford 05-07 Crown Victoria
    06 Mustang
    04-06 F-150
    05-06 E -350, E -450, F- Super Duty
    06 F-53 Motorhome Chassis
    06-07 Explorer Sport Trac
    Lincoln:
    05-07 Town Car
    06 Mark LT
    Mercury:
    05-07 Grand Marquis
    06-07 Mountaineer

Good luck and stay safe!
  • On my 2006 mountaineer the blinker sound (the blinkers work fine) and the other chimes (keys in and door open etc. ) have stopped working. Is there a fuse for this or a speaker that needs to be replaced? Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot?

Thanks,

Greg
  • Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Greg
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Those chimes are totally unrelated. However, I can't tell you how to restore the door and key chime to work again. Other than a fuse, I wouldn't know where to look either. Sorry.
  • When I get to about 45mph my car sounds like it is going over a series of speed bumps. The guy at the dealership tried to tell me it was just shifting gears but it is doing it way to much. Especially on a hill. Does anyone know what this might be.
  • I am having the exact same problem with mine as well. When I turn the OD off it doesn't seem to do it. The RPM's are roughly 1100 to 1300. Anyone have a clue at what it could be?
  • I had what i thought was a transmission problem. It turned out all that was needed were new spark plugs. The jerky shifting has not returned.