Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2006 and newer

Comments

• lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Has Ant's claim been validated?
  • wt4000wt4000 Posts: 37
    Yes, it is in fact true.

The 06 Explorer is rated at the same low emissions standard as the Ford Hybrid Escape and lower than the Honda Accord Hybrid.
  • To clarify, it's the V6 that is "cleaner" ... my V8 is nice, but maybe not so ... "Clean" :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Does the 2006 have the same 4.0L Cologne V-6 it had before? They got that old man to clean up that much? Must have 30 Catalytic Converters in a series on that boy to do that..... But good for Ford! The Green company...
  • I am debating between the Honda Pilot or Explorer. Since we have a family of 4 we need the extra room w/ seating for seven. And it's true my wife won't buy a minivan, so we are debating between these two SUV's.

I like the simplicity of the Pilot options. Ford seems to have so many options, and many of the Explorers come with a sunroof which seemed to cut down on my headroom. The cabin (especially the back seat) made me feel slightly claustrophobic in the Explorer w/ sunroof.

I test drove a Pilot and really liked it. As a big guy, 6' 4", it has plenty of room, more leg room and head room. Very nice. I must say after sitting in the 06 Explorer, the front is comfy, and I like the look of the SUV and chrome. I was not wild about the fake leather on the doors or center console, and the handle on the door was also tough to grab. Maybe after I drive it for a while, I will get used to the handle.

My question is how is the quality of a Ford Explorer? Will it hold up as good as a Honda Pilot?
    I would have to say, "almost". The Explorer is very very good - but Honda is generally more reliable over the long haul. So, if that's the tie breaker, get the Honda. OTOH, the Explorer is a tougher truck than the Honda, has a better 3rd seat and will tow and haul better with less stress on the truck. The Honda is built on the Odessey frame, so it's basically a FWD minivan. The Explorer is a truck, RWD unless you order the 4WD.

So, it depends on what you want - you decide.
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    Will it hold up as good as a Honda Pilot?

Just look at how many 10 year old Explorers you see out on the road.

The big issue is going to be what you'll use it for. If it's going to strictly be mom's taxi then just go with what you like the best. (I personally think the Explorer is a much nicer looking vehicle. IMO there is nothing exciting about the Pilot.)

On the other hand, if you think you're going to be pulling a trailer I'd go with the Explorer. BTW, the Explorer with a V8 and tow package can pull two Pilots. One Pilot can't pull another. ;)

Gas mileage might also be a factor to consider. I know the new Explorers are supposed to get better than the older ones, but I don't know how they compare with the Pilot.
    The Freestyle may be worth a look. A very impressive vehicle, and a perfect fit for some situations.
  • OK ... I got my X last week and now have had it for 2 weekends and 700+ miles.

(Used to have a 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 V6)

1st off... I LOVE IT!!
    The ride (smooth but firm, not floaty luxo barge), the V8 power, (mileage is better than expected for brand new break-in), space (wow lots of cargo space!), comfort (seats are great and seat heaters!), stereo (full range and a nice bump-bump)....
    Easy to drive and park (reverse sensor is very handy)
    Steering wheel controls AWESOME!!

Needs attention...
    Tailgate rattle at slower speeds (to be completed)
    Over sensitive passenger seat belt (to be completed)

Wish was designed a little different..
    "angle" or bend of turn/wiper stalk (too much bend and too high, but getting used to it).
    Wish the center storage console was a little larger (was in the Escape)
    Garage door opener storage in overhead (with a sunroof, not an option... was in the Escape..)
    Why since the shifter was moved to center console, could the wiper stalk NOT be moved to the right side of steering wheel?

More to come soon....
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    i will agree with what some said in here... if you need to tow, get the explorer, otherwise the pilot should be much better fit. we don't see too many 10 yr old pilots out because honda didn't start making the pilot until 01 or 02 MY. we do however see a lot of 20 yr old honda accords out there.
    "we don't see too many 10 yr old pilots out because honda didn't start making the pilot until 01 or 02 MY. we do however see a lot of 20 yr old honda accords out there."

OTOH, you don't see too many 20 old Explorers out there, because Ford didn't start making the Explorer until 91. You do see a ton of 15 year old Explorers still out there though, and you can't find one in a junkyard. I tried, when I had my 94 with 140,000 miles on it last year. There were none anywhere in the county.
    guess you didn't see why i said that... nevermind...

and about the junkyard thing, no comment on that since I have never needed to look for anything in the junkyard.
  • I've always thought the Pilot better suited for just tooling around town or the highway, but wouldn't consider it for anything too "tough". I have also always thought it was the blandest, most generic-looking SUV in this class, however. But looks aren't eveything...the Highlander is also highly rated by many reviewers. But both of these Japanese are minivan/car based, not truck-based platforms. And that does matter when the going gets tough. I'm generally buying into the Ford marketing slogan that the '06 is "the best Explorer ever"...it has many improvements...we'll see.
    Oh, I saw your point, it was just and invalid comparison, IMO. The Explorer has been a smash hit since inception, and this particular hit - is a great truck. My son drove ours over a median full on, blew both front tires, and smashed up the bumper. I put two new tires on it, and tried to get a bumper from a junkyard, which was not available anywhere - the truck ran great, never even needed an alignment, let alone any suspension parts. Now, the Pilot is a nice minivan in SUV clothing. Don't try that experiment with a Pilot, is what I'm saying.
    Luxury V8 AWD.
    Quiet, Outstanding transmission, excellent paint job, (Cashmere) decent ride & handling, excellent fit & finish.

Something that baffles me is the location of the overdrive on/off switch. It is ergonomically AWFUL!! Tomorrow I will make a serious effort to relocate it to a position that doesn't require contortions of my right hand/wrist.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
    congrats! when i test drove the 06 MM, i didn't find anything wrong with the O/D switch. maybe you will get used to it soon enough. :shades:
  • does anyone have the nav system in the o6? like it? worth the extra cash? can it be retrofitted to an 05?
    How many times did you use it?

How long is your right thumb?
    I have the '06 Nav. system. It's now made by Pioneer. Lots of nice features that make it better than the Denso system I had in my '03 Lincoln LS.

However, one glaring drawback: The tone quality of the voice guidance is atrocious! Sounds tinny, like from the cheapest speakers made. It's very difficult to understand the street name that 'she' announces. It's so cheap sounding that I'm embarrassed to demonstrate the system to friends.

I've driven one other '06 Mountaineer with Nav. Same sound.
  • so does this system fit in a 05 exp?
    To install the factory unit would require MAJOR rework to the vehicle since it also includes the premium sound system.

I believe the Pioneer aftermarket system is essentially the same: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_3149_269505659,00.html

A bit pricey, eh? I saw it advertized in today's paper for $1695.
    Can't you opt for a male voice on that system, lateral? I should think they would have the option to select which voice you want - maybe Bill Ford is more articulate?
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    where is the switch? how bad a position can it possibly be in?

let me guess - its not on the transmission shifter stalk where it should be?
    Three options:
    English
    Spanish
    French

English is marginally more informative for me than the other two.
    The switch is a 5/8" button located on the left side of the shift lever 3-3/4" below the top.

Try resting your palm on top of a yardstick and see how far down the stick your thumb will reach.

Probably OK for Shaq, but my thumb falls an inch short of even touching the button.

I do have a fix, however.

I can post a couple of photos if someone tells me how.
    Interesting..... Sorry to hear that....
    "Sorry to hear that"

An inadvertent play on words, NV?
    only test drove it once

and when i drive, i don't like to rest my hand on the tranny shifter, whether it's a manual or auto. not saying you do or you don't, just saying it's the way how i drive. and when i need to turn on and off the O/D, i'd just reach for the switch.

but then everyone is diff and of course you're entitled to your opinion. :shades:
    Yup. No doubt.