Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus X Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• We just picked up an 08' Taurus X SEL FWD, with leather, SYNC, SEL Interior Convenience and Power Packages, 50/50 3rd row, and Sirius for $26,400 inc freight - about $2k under invoice. (I would have received an additional $500 off if I had used Ford Credit, but got a better rate elsewhere.)

(Dealer was Apple Ford in Columbia, MD. Nice people to deal with, although still a little pushy on all the high-profit dealer add-ons like undercoating, paint protection etc.)
  • holm100holm100 Posts: 11
    Can you tell me the current money factor and residual on the Taurus Limited and Sel models?
    Thanks
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi holm100. You never mentioned how long you want to lease this vehicle for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Ford Taurus Limited or SEL with 15,000 miles per year are 4.0% and an extremely unattractive 39%, respectively.

As you can see, Ford Credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Yes, that was an exactly correct assumption. Are you suggesting that this is not currently a good lease choice. Is there a better Ford option?
  • if there is $5k in money out there why aren't people paying invoice minus $5k, or better? do you have to own another ford product (which we do), and if not you can only get around $2k below invoice?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hey holm100. Ford's lease program on the Edge appears to be much more attractive than its program on the Taurus X right now. If I was going to lease a Ford product, that is probably the direction that I would go.

Car_man
    Host
    Can you tell me what the money rate and residual are for the Edge?
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    I have a friend in the business. He tells me not to purchase a new TX even at $5-6K below invoice. Many new models have been on the lot for 250+ days. This car is not selling well, its overall deprecation is extremely high, and it is scheduled to be deleted from Ford's line-up.

On the other hand, he claims that deals can be found on slightly used models, but you need to be very informed (understanding wholesale pricing) and savvy buyer or you will pay too much. Prices are extremely soft on this car!

The TX is not a bad car, it just cannot compete with the other crossover models.

Good Luck!
  • A local Ford dealer here in Minnesota is advertising the TX at $12,000 off of list. This apparently includes a $2,000 owners loyalty bonus. The other details were not listed in the ad, but this almost seems too good to be true. If so, one should be able to get a brand new TX for well under $20,000. At this price I don't understand why they aren't flying off of the lots. The TX is a really great family vehicle.

- Chad
  • If that is true, I'd fly from Texas and come and get a new one. Which dealer and then I'll do my homework.......
  • The dealership that was advertising $12,000 off of list was Superior Ford in Plymouth, MN. (www.superiorford.com) The ad was in the Sunday newspaper and it did say the offer expired 9/2. Good luck.

- Chad
  • Hey holm100. Ford Credit's program on the Edge varies by term, trim level, and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease of a 2008 Ford Edge SE AWD with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for the aforementioned combination of variables are 2.25% and 45%, respectively. Both the Edge's lease rate and residual are more attractive than the Taurus X's.

Car_man
    Host
  • thank you very much - that is what I am interested in. Can you tell me how one is able to find out the residuals and money rates on all cars as you do?
    Taurus X

Aug 08: 1,670 4,863 -65.7

YTD: 18,473 27,346 -32.4

Even with $5K in rebates sales were down 65%!
    "Ford claims decreased fleet sales is one of the main reasons their sales
    are down this year. Yet 32.7 percent of their ‘08 sales sailed with the
    fleets.

Taurus and Taurus X are next, with 48.1 and 54.8 percent respectively, accounting for 34.1 percent of the nameplates' total sales."

With much slower new car sales (down 65%), and with all fleet sales (representing 55% of all Taurus Xs sold) entering the used market, prices are headed down! Way down!

Unless we start seeing $10-12K (+) discounts on new models (the going rate for a CX-9 is $9-10K off MSRP) a new Taurus X is not a good value. On the other hand, one must be very careful with the pricing of the used fleet models. Most depreciation models show (depending on the trim) $9-10K depreciation for the first year ownership. Many of these fleet models have exceeded the annual mileage cap or are in below avg condition, so addition appreciation is in order. Also, watch for big rebates on new Xs, (last month a savvy buyer could have purchased a new X for $6-7K off MSRP). You want to take that into account when pricing the used fleet models.

In attempt to stabilize the fleet prices for the X, Ford is offering floor support (interest-free cars to dealers) and/or special financing rates.

Buyers really need to do their research before purchasing this model!

Good Luck!
    According to National auction reports:

"Last week alone (1-5 Sep 08), over 100 2008 Taurus X E.B. FWD sold at auction and 68 2008 Taurus X E.B. AWD sold.... those are fairly large numbers for a week - there should be no shortage of other similar vehicles to select from."

Because of Ford Floor Support, these cars are over priced by about $1 to1.5K.

Buyers Beware!
    Examples:

In July:

Limited (Avg Condition/miles) with DVD sold at auction for $18.3K

Limited (Avg Condition/miles) w/o DVD sold at auction for $17.6K

Prices increased on August.

We all know the dealership has to make some money on these deals, but buyers need to be beware of high prices!
  • Any word on the planned Ford TX incentives for October?
  • You're very welcome, holm100. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any resource that provides information on manufacturers' lease programs to the general public.

Car_man
    Host
    Taurus X Sales

September: 1,105 3,065 -63.9

YTD: 19,578 30,411 -35.6

Buyers beware, this car is not a good value!
    Wholesale prices are falling, we are getting close to 1/2 of the MSRP.

Do not buy this car, bargain prices are ahead!
    New Wholesale Prices:

Taurus X Limited Models:

Factory Lease Car $16,800 12,891 Avg Condition SILVER

Factory Lease Car $16,700 7,415 Avg Condition BLUE

Do not pay over $17,500 for an Avg Limited, $17,000 for a EB, and $16,000 for a SEL.

Prices continue to fall each day!
  • I'm looking to purchase a new Taurus X Eddie Bauer or Limited, AWD. Depending on the configuration I find, the MSRP is between $34,500 and $35,500. With the current rebates at $3,500, I'm curious if you think that $10,000 off of sticker asking too much?

Thanks,
    John
  • larryqwlarryqw Posts: 52
    Don't start with the MSRP. For better accuracy on the deal possible, start with the Invoice price which may be $5K below MSRP, depending on options. You can get Invoice from many places, including Consumer Reports for a few bucks.

Last year, I bargain hunted between dealers and eventually got my Taurus X FWD Limited at $300 below Invoice. But in today's tough economy, you may be able to get $1000 below invoice, especially at the end of the year clerance with a lot of the Taurus X's going into the recycling bin out back. Then ask for the cash back deals on top of this. Also, if you're willing to wait, you can get another $500 off by being a member of American Quarter Horse Association for 30 days. Go to www.aqha.com and check on the deals and become a member.

In my opinion the Taurus X is a steal of a deal, especially with the discounts. I've had mine for 8 months now and am still extremely happy with the car every time I drive it and use another one of use all the great features.
    John,

I have already turned down $6K+ under invoice deals on this car (that is about $8K off the MSRP). This is not a bad car, it is just a very poor value when compared to others on the market (go back and read my posts for the reasons why). I doubt the dealers would take $10K off at this point, but it cannot hurt to ask. I would wait until more rebates and factory to dealer cash is make available.

Good Luck!
  • Thanks for the replies. As expected, none of the Ford dealers will touch $10K off sticker. We might hold out for the November Taurus X discounts. I do know to deal off invoice. The discount I'm seeking equates to about $10,000 off sticker and is easier to calculate.

We're also looking some Mazda CX-9s that a local dealer has. Build date on some of the CX-9s is more than a year ago and the initial reply to my e-mail inquiry was $8,500 off. I suspect there is more there as some folks in the Mazda thread are reporting $10K off.

John
    John,

This is a good car, but not a good value.

The wholesale price on a used 08 TX is very close to 1/2 of the MSRP.

If you wait a couple of months (maybe less), you should be able to get a nice used one for 1/2 price.

Without a doubt the CX-9 is a better value.
    Wholesale EB models are going for as low as $15.5K, the average is around $16.3K. We are getting very close to 1/2 of the MSRP.

Prices are going lower each week!

WOW! This car depreciates about 50% in its first year!
  • My wife received a call today offering us $9K off a $39K sticker. We were looking at models that stickered around $35,000 for which we wanted to spend $25,000, so we passed. A few hours later we drove out of a Mazda dealership with a CX-9. Details on that deal are in the Mazda forum.

John
This discussion has been closed.