Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius Software Problems

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    welbngwelbng Member Posts: 1
    Where did you purchase your platinum warranty plan from? I am in the process of buying a 2005 Prius now and am very interested in getting the warranty plan. THANKS!
  • Options
    eprupiseprupis Member Posts: 30
    It was a Toyota dealer in Massachusetts. I got the info from priuschat.com after googling "Discount Toyota Extended Warranty". It was all done through e-mail and snail mail. I'm not sure they want to have their name disclosed here.
  • Options
    kallen2223kallen2223 Member Posts: 3
    Well the platinum warranty covered the problem with the console. What was interesting to me is that the quote I got originally - before we realized that we HAD bought the extended warranty - was for $3400 for replacement w/a new unit. Once the service dept called the warranty company they would only pay for a "reconditioned" unit. So the total repair was about $500.00. The service guy said that he hadn't known that the reconditioned units were available...
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The service guy said that he hadn't known that the reconditioned units were available.

Sounds fishy to me. No wonder people hate the dealerships for service. Are you getting an extended warranty on the refurbished unit? It should be more than the normal 90 days for rebuilt parts. How many years left on your Platinum?
  • Options
    aztardisaztardis Member Posts: 1
    It seems that for a problem so many of us have had, the service staffs seem pretty clueless.

I think I win, though - my dealership quoted $4600, and on top of that, he charged me $95 to diagnose it!!!

In discussions now, am asking that they allow me to buy a refurb rather than new.
  • Options
    kallen2223kallen2223 Member Posts: 3
    was for 100,000 miles. I have a 2004 Prius with 88,000 miles on it now - I drive for a living. The reconditioned unit has a 12 month - 12,000 mile warranty on it...which for me means about 6 months as I average about 2000/mth. I made sure and asked the service guy that if the reconditioned unit fizzles out (after the warranty coverage) if I would be able to replace it w/another reconditioned unit rather than a new stinking expensive one!!
  • Options
    I wonder how they get away with that. I would insist on a new OEM unit. You probably got one that crapped out on someone else and got a chip replaced. They did not figure out what caused the failure in the first place. So it will probably die again. Toyota is betting it will be on your dime and not theirs. Seems to be their modus operandi. I wonder what you get with the cheap extended warranty? I thought the Platinum was the best treatment from Toyota. Good luck,
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Just think for $4,600 you could have driven a Hummer for several years and broken even on gas savings.

At $4,600 in anothr 10 years you will start saving again via you Prius gas mileage.

LOL,

MidCow
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Just think for $4,600 you could have driven a Hummer for several years and broken even on gas savings.

Yesterday morning I downloaded my comics from comics.com and one of the jokes was of a huge Hummer with a Prius as a hood ornament. It said "I will say this about the Prius...it makes a lovely and aerodynamic hood ornament." :P :shades:
  • Options
    seekoseeko Member Posts: 33
    i had the paint sealant done on my prius when i got it in feb. this year. do i have to keep putting on sealant i got with the car when i bought it or should i start using a good paste wax or a good liquid wax? what views does anyone have on this? :D thank you pete
  • Options
    All the ones I've seen you don't do anything. Once a year the dealer or whoever did it is supposed to redo it for 5 years. It should be spelled out in the paperwork on it.
  • Options
    kpp1kpp1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 2004 Prius from the owner. He insists that he took the car to a dealer for the recall software upgrade last year after there were reports of Prius stalling problems. He says he lost the service record for the recall appointment, so he has no proof that the software was upgraded. My question is this: can a Toyota service department determine if the software upgrade has been done and when?
  • Options
    They should be able to punch in the vin # and get a read out of all maintainance done on it.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    This appears to be even more rare than the stalling problem, which turned out to be a computer software error.

Thanks for posting; maybe we will get more coverage on this issue.

Things can get interesting when you run the accelerator and braking systems through a computer...
  • Options
    jimb1300jimb1300 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Prius with 44K miles. My wife drives it about 50 miles everyday making home visits, so there are a lot of starts and stops in the day. After sitting in the hot Florida sun for 2 hours, she started it and had all the warnings displayed. When attempting to drive, the gas engine chugged for awhile, then stopped. She was able to restart and pull off the road. When I arrived, the check engine light was on, so I opened the hood, checked the oil (OK), then closed the hood. I turned the key and all systems were go. I drove the car 20 miles to the dealer with no incidents (even stopped and restarted several times). The dealer had the car for 6 hours and finally told me the engine management module had to be replaced $980, but covered under warranty. 2 months later the same thing happened, I turned the car off and back on several times and the warning lights were always on. I drove to the dealer, showed the service manager the warning lights, opened and closed the hood, restarted and all lights were out. I know it sounds crazy, but is there any connection between these warning lights and the hood latch??
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Be sure and keep us posted on what they do for you on your problem. That is the first time I have heard of anything related to opening the hood. Keep on the dealer. I would document any visits to the dealership.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Whatever's wrong, it has nothing to do with the hood per se...

Why can't they pull the OBD codes? That would tell them and you what's failing.

The one thing that does occur to me is that opening the hood allows superheated air to escape - heat causing problems with the electronics / connections in the engine compartment??
  • Options
    Thanks,
    Right now all they told me was to keep driving and if it happens again bring it in. Could it have anything to do with the battery? He did suspect the battery was the problem the first time...before they decided it was the engine management module.
  • Options
    I asked the same question, I thought it would be a simple matter to pull the codes. He said they would do it for $40.00, but I would have to leave the car and unfortunately, I needed it that night, so maybe next time..
    Thanks for the reply..
  • Options
    or if slaming the hood to close it is jarring some loose wire so it works again.
  • Options
    He said they would do it for $40.00, but I would have to leave the car

I take it your regular warranty has expired? Do they give you a printout of the OBD codes for that $40? I can see so much room for screwing the customer with these cars with extended warranty mandated by the EPA & CARB. "You have a bad kwefladiddly module and that is not covered, $3000 please". Good luck sounds like you will need it. Let us know how it all turns out.
  • Options
    tonyfotonyfo Member Posts: 2
    6 times in the last 2 years I have had the same problem with my 2001 Prius. After a short drive of 1 or 2 miles, I turn the engine off. A little while later, when I try to start the car, an exclamation point inside a triangle, and also the check engine light appears on the display. The car will only run on the hybrid battery, so I can only go about one mile at a very slow speed, then I have to park the car, as the battery is virtually dead. After a 2 or 3 hour rest, the car is perfectly fine and runs as it should. The dealership and auto repair shops can find nothing wrong. By the time I get the car to the dealer, it is back to normal. I thought it might be overheating, but that's not it. Any ideas, anyone?
  • Options
    boughbough Member Posts: 1
    I'm on my 3rd trip to the dealer after similar experience: buzzer, warning light, and 1-2 miles left on the road. The dealer said the computer noted an inverter system malfunction. They replaced the problem part. It took a week for the warning (exclamation mark) to come on again... Before the part came the dealer said thre would be no problem driving, but again after 4 days the warning lights came on again. How many trips to the dealer before the lemon law kicks in?
  • Options
    seroqseroq Member Posts: 12
    My 2006 Prius starts by itself when I am out of the car. Has this happened to anyone else? This has happened three times.
  • Options
    hi there. i have a 06 also. how does your car start by itself? do you or have you done something to it out of the oridinary? what does the dealer say that you bought it from? this is very odd . dont exactly know how to solve this one!i will ask some of my prius friends and see if anybody can be of any help? :confuse: pete
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    could you explain how you normally start a prius? is there a "start" button as there is in a lexus? if so - maybe the switch is bad or there is an electrical cabling problem.

if the car can be started with a FOB, maybe some localized interference from a HAM Radio operator, a commerical radio, a nearby power line, another FOB on the same frequency.
  • Options
    hi there. here is how i start mine.put foot on brake pedal and then push the start button in about less than a second the instrument panel confirms that all systems are go and thats basically it.then choose forward or reverse and your good to go. oh yes fasten the seat belt also,be safe. very basic and simple. see ya pete ;)
  • Options
    i believe putting your foot on the brake would be a safety interlock which is necessary to start the car.

i was thinking if this wasn't necessary, maybe a child with a FOB is activating, or perhaps the FOB in your pocket.

if you do need to depress brake in order for pushing start to be honored, then i'd say either another person is entering your car and starting it to cause your sanity to be called into question, or there is some computer mis-programming, or there is some emi (electro-magnetic interference) being generated from some local source that is impinging on the electronics of your car causing it to think a person is following the steps to start the car.

then again, perhaps your vehicle is possessed. :surprise:
  • Options
    rmcmcmcrmcmcmc Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this site... I have a 2004 prius -- mine has had intermitten glitches and it has been starting by itself for over two years and it gets pretty upsetting when I have been out of the vehicle for hours and it is on when I return. At times the windows will roll down on their own and that really "sucks" when it happens during a rain storm or in the winter. I can't take my notebook into the car unless it is completely powered off or the car may not start. At times, I can't get the doors open with the automatic entry on my person if I have a cell phone on my person and have to use the key. At times the pushbutton won't start and at times it looks as if it is started but it won't shift into gear. I had so many problems within the warranty period that the dealer told me that Toyota (national) had authorized them to start charging me for warranty work -- I switched dealers at the time that the warranty ran out. If all the little glitches weren't bad enought --- 25 mpg in town and up to 38 / 39 on the highway is about as good as it gets. I wish that I could trust the fuel guage but that's another story.

I still love the way it drives on the road - but it is a real lemon.

Simply - I have been way more disappointed than pleased with the vehicle. I have had lots of suggestions from other prius owners - yet nothing has paid off.
  • Options
    :) hi there. may i make a suggestion? if you don't like your prius and are not having any good luck with it someone will buy it real quick. they are selling very fast and IF its in good shape and has been treated well then you shouldn't have any problem trying to sell it. to bad it doesn't get along with you because i think they are very fine cars. ;) take care and good luck to you. pete
  • Options
    rmcmcmcrmcmcmc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Pete - I have thought about selling it - yet I pretty much hate to give the problems away to an unsuspecting buyer - such as would happen with a trade in if there wasn't disclosuree.
    Have a good one...
  • Options
    Why not? Toyota didn't have any problem giving them to you.
  • Options
    ethics? integrity? honesty? sense of fair play? :surprise:
  • Options
    Myself I would rather dump a car with defects on the dealer. Most cars it is easy for them to find the defects and fix them. That is not the case with these "GHOST" problems associated with the hybrids.

So you know the dealer will cover his behind and let the customer pay the price. I agree with user777 it would be hard for me to dump that kind of problem on some poor unsuspecting soul. If you follow these threads as I have. You will remember several such cases where folks bought a used Prius only to find out it had expensive problems to repair.
  • Options
    agreed. i believe in full disclosure. i don't believe in leaving it up to someone else to discover an issue which needs resolution.

when selling vehicles used, i like to price it according to condition, and i will get an estimate as to how much it is to get something fixed, and then let the purchaser decide if he/she wants that amount taken off the otherwise BB/NADA value.

by disclosing, i'm also allowing them to confirm something with their mechanic.

as for "ghostly" issues involving high-tech - i honestly don't know what i could do... sure i'd like to "dump" it on a dealer rather than on a parent looking to buy a reliable vehicle for a son or daughter, or a single parent, or someone just out of school with shallow pockets and lots of loan debt, since there's probably gonna be some serious time, effort and expense resolving those sorts of things.

last vehicle i sold had a serious issue and i discussed it with two mechanics, selling it to one of the mechanics that was willing to take on a project.

i'd rather take a loss and feel good about what i did.

i'd hate to be on the receiving side of an issue like that.
  • Options
    carpiancarpian Member Posts: 1
    Any further news on this one from anybody? Same thing just happened to my 2004 Prius at 42,000 miles.
  • Options
    trilliumgtrilliumg Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me today, 2006 Prius at 1700 miles. Scary and bizarre. Need more info! I also just posted this problem on priuschat.com.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    A few months ago we were hotly discussing the few reported "brake failures" and were trying to decide if it was a software problem causing the brake problem.

Did anyone ever get a definitive answer on that?
  • Options
    wentgreenin06wentgreenin06 Member Posts: 3
    Am posting this from Amarillo TX, en route from East Coast to West for a move.

My 2006, 2 week old Prius did the first 1500 miles or so of the trip just fine, then experienced the same exact problem described by others on this site and at NHTSA website.

Specifically, at highway speed, the gas guage started reading abnormally low , then flashing on the last box, then multiple warning lights came on all at once, including general woarning, engine check, brake failure, and VSC. The gas engine died. I was able to limp to the next offramp (in the middle of the prairie) on electric. Walked to a gas station and put a gallon of gas in to no avail. "Add fuel" prompt was still on, which really made no sense as the car easily gets over 400 miles a tank and there were less than 300 on the current tank.

A tow quickly came, and when we unloaded the car at the local Toyota dealer (about 2 hours later), the car seemed fine except for the engine check light being on.

This morning the service manager called to say they couldn't find anything. Engine check light was no longer on. The only diagnostic codes that read abnormal could be explained by running out of gas, and that the car worked fine on a 36 mile test run.

Am going to pick up the car now, but will stock up on water for when we're stranded again!
  • Options
    someone should contact that dealer and have them call the manufacturer and ask how that code was thrown by the system without the tank being empty?

it would be one thing if your unit was out of fuel, but it wasn't.

possibly there is a fuel pump or pressure/flow measurement problem. this is why someone needs to do some deeper analysis on the code thrown.

did they document the diagnostic code on the repair order?
  • Options
    We'll make sure it is documented, thanks.

This is seeming to me not to be a problem that is limited to a specific model year, as I see postings of the same problem for models from 2001 through 2006 (on this forum and there are 2 others from 2006 on the NHTSA ODI website). About 24,000 cars were recalled from 2004 and 5 by Toyota for the problem, but clearly others NOT LIMITED TO THOSE IN THE RECALL are affected.

It is clear from the postings that the same problem recurs and recurs, without resolution, prior to the car being recalled. It may also recur AFTER the recall treatment, (which is EITHER reprogramming OR just reloading the same software for the ECM??) but that is not clear.

It would help if there were a log of whether the problem resolved after the recall "treatment" so those of us who put our hard-earned cash down on this fabulous new technology would not have to risk breaking down again. In my opinion, the burden is on Toyota to a) solve this problem and b) unthil they do, notify potential buyers this may occur.

Went Green in '06 but Was Green Ready for Us?
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I hate to sound like Toyota or the dealer, but you may have actually run out of gas. The bladder may have prevented you from fully filling up the tank last time you got gas. I read that if you do run out, one gal. isn't enough to reach the pickup. It takes two gal. min. Several posting have reported that. Reason is when moving the fuel pump can still get fuel because it's sloshing around. Once it can't any more, and you stop, the level is way down. It appears the designers left some space at the bottom of the tank for water and other debris.
  • Options
    You may well be right. After summing up my 1 gallon, 2 added (less one burned) by the dealer, then 9 gallons upon leaving the dealership, the car would have been on fumes at the time it failed. Having all the lights come on may be the car's way of reacting to running out of fuel. (A general alert light and fuel light would have been sufficient to convey the message.)

What is puzzling is WHY the car ran out of gas. For almost 2000 miles the average mileage was 37 MPG, with tank ranges allowing us to fill up at just under 400 miles with no problem.

The last fill-up before the breakdown was 10.1 gallons, which tripped the pump turnoff. The INFO:Consumption panel was reading 36 + MPG avg, and there were only 290 miles on the tank when it broke down. Where did the other 100 miles go?

Using the gas guage is no help - it reads full until about 160 miles have gone by, and when the gas got low, it dropped precipitously through the last 3 boxes, allowing inadequate time to stop for gas - in Texas, anyway.

Since then we have made it to the Grand Canyon, and the car, very fully loaded, is getting 42 MPG at 7000 feet elevation. We are also filling it every 150-200 miles.
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Filling when there are still two bars lit is the way to go, according to many owners. Especially when travelling, not knowing where the next station is. Most owners are calling the fuel gauge a "guess gauge".

If you keep records of fillups (always a good idea so you can watch for strange behavior), check back to see if the mileage suddenly dropped. The records I'm referring to is:
    odometer reading : miles since last fill : gal put in : mileage calculated : mileage indicated

Only then can you figure out what happened. I suspect that either of two things:
    The bladder prevented you from properly filling the tank, or
    You were bucking a severe headwind, or there was a temporary fault in the system that impacted the mileage severely.

I think the reason the car reacts like that is there is no special alarm subroutine in the program for running out of fuel. When you run out the ICE stops without being commanded to, and that triggers the warnings.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I know that on the Gen 1, if you leave the car "on", the engine will be off until the traction battery needs charging. Then the engine will come on, charge the battery, then turn back off. I'm not sure if this applies to the Gen 2 Prius.
  • Options
    pdahlinpdahlin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Prius that just went in for service and the dealer said there was a recall which required reprogramming the car. The car was fine before that other than the occasional check engine light after restarting the car after a long trip. After the reprogramming - now I get alot of the electrical type failures reported by others - radio cuts off, display disappears, climate screen says air conditioner is not connected, check engine light and problem warning come on all the time and I the problems get worse after restarting the car while it's hot. I haven't talked to the dealer yet but they better cover this. I lodged a complaint on the NTSB website.
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    pdahlin,

Be sure to monitor you mileage. Another side-effect of the "software upgrade" i s lower miles per gallon.

You might want to ask if they can reverse the software fix.

Good luck,

MidCow
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A large national newspaper is doing a story on how cars increasingly are computers. The reporter is looking for people with cars that have had difficulty getting repaired because of the knowledge needed to fix them or the code requirements needed to fix are often not provided to non-dealers, or the cost to fix was outrageous. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 13, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you currently own and the issue.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    mincha24mincha24 Member Posts: 1
    hi, it appears i ran into the same problem with the 2004 highlander over the 36000mi. limit where can i buy that reused part for $400
    isaac
This discussion has been closed.