Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• coontie57coontie57 Posts: 128
    I might believe those numbers. I only have 3K miles on my 3 x 4 duramax and in the first 500 miles got 18.8 mpg... with the 11000 lb camper its 11 mpg in the mts of wnc
  • I don't drive much... so my 2-and-a-half-month old '07 Silverado Classic with the V6 and auto did about 19 mpg empty on the freeway going 70 mph steady with the cruise.

I took the tonneau cover off for the trip; from the #s my scangauge was giving me, I'd say I could have gotten maybe 21 mpg with the cover on the truck... but that's really just a guess.

-m.
  • I drive 84 miles round trip a day. At 65 MPH I get 17.2 at the best and commonly 16.8. I also have the Tornado in my air intake.
    That is best for me.

And your experience is ???
  • I have a 2007 1500HD crew cab and drive about 80 miles RT to/from work. I just put on a tonneau cover last month and the gas mileage is the same. I am getting 14.8 gallons according to the computer. It was around 13 when I tow my horse trailer.

How are people getting 18-20mpg in their Silverado?

Am I getting that mileage because it is a 6.0? Actually, I had a 2004 F150 5.4 V8 and it got around 13-14.5mpg, so for a little bigger engine, it's pretty much the same thing.
  • my buddy has the 6L on his 3/4 ton... he gets less than you do.. with my diesel I get 20.2 mpg and its not broken in yet.. 8K miles.
  • I just purchased a 2007 2500 HD Classic, 6.0,4:10 rear.I just turned 1000 miles on the Odometer. I am only getting 10 MPG. I Traded in an 01 2500, and I was getting 13-14 with that tuck. My freind told me that installing a Tornado raised MPG by 2 Gal. Has any one had experiance with this, or a programmer.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Posts: 145
    I have an '07 Classic Ext Cab W/T with the V-6 and the 3.23 rear end. It has only 800 miles on it but checking the mileage I am only getting 12 mpg city and 16 on the highway using cruise going 65 with the AC off. I had a '95 W/T V-6 that got nearly 18 MPG on the road, it had 100,000 miles. Will this get anywhere near what Chevrolet claims....16 and 21 MPG?
  • I check my mileage every tank and I calculate actual mileage with gallons used at the same pump. I consistently get 12.5 around town no highway and the best I have gotten on the freeway is 17.4mpg from Anaheim ca to San Diego freeway driving on flat highway cruising at 75. Also on the way out to glamis I reg get, with a dirt bike and associated gear average 16-17 but there are only a couple of grades and its mainly flat. I am waiting untill chevy offers their new 6.2 liter 400+hp cadillac engine in the new vortec max with 6speed trans in their h.o trucks within the next 2 years. My add ons are a flowmaster cat back (actually made for 8.1 liter) and Air aid intake and full castrol synthetic with Lucas synthetic additive. 0 mileage difference with all of my add ons but the truck is quicker =) I am not nice to my truck and I consistently stomp on the gas around town because getting to work is much more fun that way. I am going to try a tune that is supposed to get my truck 30 more horse and 2-4 mpg better from, Wait for me performance they reburn or send you a new pcm. I will repost when I get it installed and see if it actually helps. I think those tornados are junk, for the millions of dollars manufacturers spend to get 1 mpg better in their vehicle's, if the tornadoes actually worked every manufacturer would have them on all their vehicle's from the factory just my opinion. Colby
    motohead77@hotmail.com
  • eaubeseaubes Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. I am interested to see how the tune works.
  • 1offroader1offroader Posts: 208
    I bought a 2007 Chevy 4x4 Crew Cab w/6.0L Vortec Max engine & 3.73 gears a couple months ago. A couple weeks ago I drove from Modesto, CA to Los Angeles, 335 miles, via Hwy. 99 and I-5. If you are familar with the route, it is mostly flat along the Hwy. 99 part, then once it merges with I-5 it's some steep climbing over the Grapevine and the local mountains. 70 mph, cruise control mostly on, a/c on the entire way.

Got 18.2 mpg overall. Extremely pleased and surprised with the mileage. That is excellent mileage for a full size pickup with gobs of power. The "old" EPA rating of 19 mpg highway looks very achievable (or even exceedable) based on my experience, once the vehicle is broken in, and if speeds are reduced to 65 mph.

Active Fuel Management really works. You can see it toggling back and forth from V-8 to V-4 mode. BUT, you cannot feel it unless your foot is on the accelerator when it happens. And then, just barely. It's a great invention if it stays reliable.

Not the forum for discussing Toyota, but I don't hear of anyone bragging about that kind of mpg in the 5.7L Tundra.
    And yeah, I'm bragging.

1offroader
    I now have 10,000 miles and just got back from Florida and I was pulling my 12000 lb camper... When I was in FL and driving 55mph I got 11 mpg... then on the interstate at 65-70mph it dropped to 10.4ish..

I must have had it FULL because it was slower coming up Saluda Mtn... just 56 mph today... and screaming..

Diesel in FL was $2.69+..... in Spartanburg $2.53 and in Fairview, NC $2.80... PHOOOEY I saw it on I 95 at $2.51 in SC..
  • Bought my truck on friday, dealer filled it up, and i filled for the first time today. I logged 378 miles, put in 22.5 gallons for 16.8 mpg. This isnt too bad, but it was about 90% highway miles at 60-65 on flat iowa roads with little wind and no load in the box and nothing being towed. Hope this goes up when the engine gets broke in as my 2001 Dodge Cummins would regularly get 20-21 on tankfulls like that.
  • rman6rman6 Posts: 11
    I am looking at new 4x4 3/4 ton pickups. I've always been a ford man, but the features and price on the new silverados are more appealing than the new fords. My big question is what kind of mileage to expect with the 6.0 in a 3/4 ton 4x4. I don't need a diesel (don't tow much, just need extra payload). Everyone I know have fords, so I need some input.
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    R.........You can expect poor mileage.

I am currently on the hunt for a 07 GMT-900 2500 x-cab
    to replace my 04 6.0 2500 x-cab, auto 4:10s.

I can get 12-14 city......17 highway.............

I note the new body style 2500s offer 3:73 rear gears so
    possibly can expect 1 or 2 mpgs more.

Nice trucks but thirsty !!!! Since I need a 2500 for
    snowplowing and heavy towing I have no other choice.
    IMO a diesel for $7000 MORE and the possible few more
    mpgs is not worth it............
    I had a 99 Ford diesel and my buddy had a 02 Chevy with the 6L engine. We pulled identical campers from GA/NC to Homer Alaska and home. I drove 14,400 miles and he a bit less. Going through the Yukon where the gas stations are limited we had to fill up at the same one --side beside. It was quite impressive how many more liters of gas he burned on the identical miles driven. Gas station to gas station etc. Incidentally GAS was more expensive in Canada than diesel.

I understand that the 6L has gotten better.. hope so for your sake.

On my Durmax diesel and Ford 7.3 diesel I get/got about 20 mpg with no load.
    So as you can see your gonna get a couple of mpgs more
    with a diesel than a 6.0 gasser..................

But its gonna take a LOOOOONG time to make up that $7000
    difference on a every day commuter ride..........
    The diesel engine will go a long way before overhaul. If you plan on keeping one forever like me its worth thinking about. And you also have to think if you are actually pulling something or just driving and commuting. After the tornadoes in Central Florida this Feb a group from Hearts with Hands cane down delivering supplies and they drove 3 Ford 250's. All three were donated and had between 310 and 333 K on them... each.. nothing ever done to the engines.. Stick Shifts..

I am not sure a 6L gas engine would go that far without engine work.. The diesels will probably go another 100K or better..

The diesel is messy to fillup ,, it smells if you get it on your hands etc.

Its just a personal decision.. the power and fuel efficiency is impressive with my new Chebby (as a friend calls it).
    Perhaps you should take a trip over to the truck
    forums here. Diesels have many expensive issues.
    Many owners call the Ford diesels "powerjokes" and
    post on and on about injector issues among other things.
    Not to mention the major expense of maintaining them.

Also note the new Ford 6.0 diesel and torqueshift trans.
    issues posted around the net. Or the recent articles
    of Ford withholding millions from their diesel supplier
    over warranty issues...............

Yea I suppose you could get 300k miles from one. But at
    what cost? Employ a inhouse mechanic by chance?
    Heck the toyoyo owners brag that they get 300k (sic)
    miles. Without ANY repairs of course ! LOL!!!!!!!!!

For the average buyer a diesel is a poor choice........

Now I could start on GMs diesels past and present.
    But why bother..You get my point.................
  • The reason why your friend in the chevy had to fill up more often is because chevys have smaller fuel tanks than Fords
  • I read on a blog that the '08 Duramax Diesel would get 25% more gas mileage. Anyone have information on this?