Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future Of The Manual Transmission

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,979
    honestly not sure how I feel about this, but I would love to try it. It almost sounds like a DSG with no auto mode, and the "pretend" clutch pedal some people have joked about.

actually, sounds like a modern interpretation of the old VW semi-automatic set up.

also sounds like something that could be useful in a semi?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,279
    I'm not sure either. I think it would drive me nuts because I'd be in two worlds at the same time, not knowing how to act.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,582
    It almost sounds like a DSG with no auto mode, and the "pretend" clutch pedal some people have joked about.

That sounds like exactly what it is. But, if it has no automatic shifting, then it is still a manual; it's just a different interpretation of it. I'll pass... for now!
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    just a fancy automated clutch. VW/Porsche and many others have done that in the past.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,290
    that if there are three pedals under the dashboard, it's a manual.

Perhaps not.
    it was never to me about the clutch. It was about the driver having to initiate a gear change (and pick the gear) or else it could not happen. Changing gears makes it a manual. the clutch is just the mechanism to avoid grinding them.

so changing the actuation method of the clutch from hydraulic to electric really does not change the transmission.

what I've enjoyed since the '70s, when I drove a Datsun 240Z to the terminal and a Kenworth with a 9509 Roadranger away, with a load of boats destined for the Great Lakes or New England, or wherever, was the ability to delay shifts, skip gears, or change my mind and go back into the gear I was just in.

I drove the KW much differently when I was bobtailing than when I was pulling a heavy load. Then there's whether you're going uphill or down and all the rest. The timing between shifts is a big deal. Many of us did it with no clutch at all, but it's nice to have it when needed.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    I would agree that is exactly what this would be, and GONE would be the ability to feather the clutch, to finesse the engagement of the gears to get the timing just so, much of the stuff that makes having a clutch fun and useful.

Plus it sounds scary to me when they say they expect it to improve fuel economy by 5 to 10%. To me that smacks of "the e-clutch will do some of your thinking for you in order to maximize your fuel economy".

I don't want my clutch thinking for me. If I had my druthers they would go back to the old chain connection to the clutch plate that preceded the hydraulic systems in use today.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,582
    I agree that much of the "feel" of the clutch was lost when hydraulic systems came on the scene. It is so easy to feel exactly where the engagement point is on my old Chevy pickup, and use that to maximum advantage. It took a long time for me to get used to a Subaru clutch pedal, which has about zero feel to it. For the longest time, it was just nothing.... nothing.... BAM-engaged! I had to adopt a drive-it-like-you-stole it mentality in order to consistently not stall from a stop.

I'm not sure if this is the case with the transmission cited earlier, but it seems that there is likely not a mechanical connection between the shifter and the gearbox, either. So, the transmission may only shifts after driver input, but the driver clearly isn't the one shifting the car. Still a manual, but an entirely different interpretation.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    I think is still has normal mechanical gear change. Nothing in their indicated otherwise. sounds more like the clutch will just automaticlaly disengage, but the trans stays in gear.

• yaaa..3 pedal means manual bt automativ transmission is best.no need of shifting any gear just to put over the foot on race else break ...
    I'm not sure what your native language is, but what you wrote is hard for me to understand.

Perhaps that was the objective.

Maybe not.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,937
    translation:
    the dude defines manual transmission correctly but prefers an automatic .
    Thank you. Thank you very much.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,297
    Or something like that.

"Hyundai has dropped the standard five-speed manual transmission in the base Tucson. All versions of the 2014 Tucson get the six-speed automatic transmission. Hyundai has also added an optional all-wheel-drive model to the base 2014 Tucson trim level. The 2014 Hyundai Tucson is on sale now."

2014 Hyundai Tucson Gets Price Increase, Drops Five-Speed Manual Transmission

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Bummer. I test drove its twin, a Sportage, with a manual, and it was actually a fun ride. Far better clutch/shifter than the Optima's manual.

I'm sure 0.05% of them were bought with a manual.
    Subaru has just introduced a "Sport" trim of the Legacy. Can you get the "Sport" trim with a manual? Nope, just the dopey and fairly annoying CVT "with 6-speed manual shifting"(LOL!). Doesn't seem like there's much sport in the "Sport". More importantly, Subaru is finally moving away from manuals in most of the trims. It happened to Forester, it happened to Legacy and Outback, it is even happening in the Impreza line now. :-(

Looks like my next car may NOT be a Soob, if all the manuals are gone by then. I'm so sad - it seemed like they might be one of the few to keep the faith. I sure hope the BRZ and WRX continue to offer manuals, but I won't be buying a WRX unless they bring back the 5-door hatch (different topic there, I know). Thing is, they already went CVT-only with the new Forester turbo, so why not the next WRX as well?? :-( :-(

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,231
    edited October 2013
    Different class from any (U.S.) Subise, I know, but have you driven the Fiat 500? After considering a MINI Cooper I bought a POP with manual in April, as a third car runabout, and am very pleased with it. We took it on a 1100 mile trip recently, and it cruises nicely at 70-80 mph. It has all the equipment I need, and the chassis is well sorted out, in terms of handling, steering and ride dynamics. Averaging 41.5 MPG over 7,700 miles, using premium. Good but not exceptional, given its size and weight.

The 500 comes with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty, versus 3 years/36,000 typically for this class. No problems so far.

I was influenced to some extent by my neighbor, a car guy, who cross shopped the MINI and 500, and concluded that the Fiat's more compliant ride was easier to live with, day after day. Also, besides costing more, the MINI is also higher maintenance.

I mention this because I know you like small cars.
    Actually, I drove the 500 Sport when it first came out, and liked it a lot once the "Sport" button was pressed. I found it rather annoying though that you had to press that button every time and it wouldn't stay in the last mode it was in at shutdown.

In Normal mode the gas pedal was way too unresponsive for my tastes, and it felt like the steering was better in sport mode too.

Ultimately, the distance to the nearest dealer and the firmer ride of the Mini, which I actually prefer, led me away from the 500. But I still love the look and look forward to seeing them on the street. :-)

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Finally got some extended seat time in a Miata. I gotta say that despite this being considered one of the best shifters, it feels a little balky to me. Throws are nice and short, but it takes a fair amount of effort to stir the thing. Is this normal?

Little background. This is my bosses car and he offered to lend it to me for a week to see if I wanted to buy it. It is a '95 with only 26,000 miles. He usually keeps in in storage and gets it out for the summers. I wonder if it just needs new tranny oil. He has probably never changed that - given the mileage.

BTW it is a hoot to drive. Reminds me of a Triumph Spitfire I drove some in high school. Sure is a chore to get in and out, but that adds to the experience.
    It's a very short stick, so you're getting that same kind of effort as when you buy a short-shift kit, I think. You're losing leverage on such a stubby "oar".

How's that Fiat 500 in a crosswind? Sandman says it's a handful for him.

the Fiat is certainly cheaper than the Mini. A loaded MINI can bust $30K!

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,969
    There will be a 7 speed (Tremec) M/T in the 2014 Corvette Sting Ray I have read in a few articles. It will also have a match rev feature.
    7 speeds with all that torque? The rationale escapes me.

match-rev is very cool, though.

Looks like the 7 speed manual is standard. (2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Z51 Long-Term Road Test)

good for towing? :)

There's quite a few out there, lol.

(The SCENE is a cocktail party on the patio of a local winery. Two middle-aged men with bad hairpieces are conversing)

"Six speeds? .....oh, well... I have SEVEN"

My swag is for the 29 mpg H EPA ! I haven't read the fine print, but normally the Corvette posts top speed is in one gear less. So for example, a 7 speed M/T is sort of a double over drive. (6,7 speed)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    I would bet the Corvette gets top speed in 5th or even 4th. 6th is still pretty darn tall. Top gear in recent Corvettes has been about 1300 rpm at 60 mph so with a 6500 rpm redline that would be a top speed of 300 mph. So you would need to be geared 1/3 lower for a 200 mph top speed, so probably a 2 or 3 gear drop.
    @ that time, the 2001 Corvette Z06 posted its top speed in 5th gear (6speed M/T).