Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future Of The Manual Transmission

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,862
    edited February 14

I am not sure what 14 MY YTD sales @ 2,261 portends.

I do know that the rest of GM is not shy about usings its parts bin ! ? Cadillac makes almost no secret it uses Corvette engines (variants) . I have seen in passing that Cadillac also offers at least one manual transmission option? LOL, this ain't yo daddies caddie?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,835
    edited February 14

It portends well, based on past January sales since 2010. I think the Cadillac still IS your daddy's Cadillac, but Daddy is just a bit more hip.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,699

2015 Mazda 2 (codenamed Hazumi)

The future of the manual transmission is alive and well, dudes.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,452

looks a lot nicer than the current model.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,699

stickguy - the current model looks so "econobox" and the new one looks much sportier. Driving dynamics may not end up differing all that much when it's all built and done, though. That'll be one of those things ta check closely on when test-driving and researching the new car online.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,460

Hopefully it has more head room in the rear seats! The current M2's vertical rear seat space is atrocious. I wrote it off immediately after trying the "sit behind yourself" test. Never even bothered to drive it (the fact that the dealer didn't have any MT models in stock was a contributing factor on that count, I'll admit).

• kristin409kristin409 Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any idea for a 4wd or Awd manual? I can't, and won't, flex on either of those options. I miss a stick sooooo bad, and I have the driveway of death in the winter. Basically, all I can find is a wrangler (not doing it, poc) or subys. I could go as high as 32k, but no more. I hate that the charger is awd, but no manual available, and the challenger is a manual, but no awd. Can anybody give this girl any ideas? :)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444

Mini Paceman or Countryman. Both start at about $27-28 with AWD and a manual. . Coopers are great little cars and very frugal, but not the most reliable. They will have a decent warranty if you get them new. I would probably be more inclined to get a Mazda CX-5 and put really good snow tires on in the winter.

If you don't mind a pickup, I think you can still get a 4WD stick from Toyota and Nissan.

Jeep Patriot has AWD and manual as do Kia Sportage, Nissan Xterra, Toyota FJ Cruiser, and Suzuki SX4.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    edited March 28

@kristin409 said: Does anyone have any idea for a 4wd or Awd manual?

I am pretty sure that Subaru offers manual xmission in all of its models. Subie makes one of the best awd systems in the world. All they sell is awd and their end-to-end design is around awd. If there is traction, a subie will find it and get you moving.

There are several youTube videos which scientifically matchup Subaru with other AWD vehicles. (Audi, Honda, KIA/Hyundi....etc) In EVERY case, the Subaru is able to get moving when ANY SINGLE WHEEL has traction. (not so much the other contenders)

Additionally, Subaru has proven to be very reliable over the years and has been awarded top-safety-picks too. BONUS: Subaru sells the MOST FUEL EFFICENT awd in America.

I think you pretty much summed up your options, Kristin! Most of the other manufacturers that even offer manuals on vehicles with a 4WD/AWD option do not make the MT available on the 4-wheel drive trains. It's a sad deal, but the truth often is.

I think you can still get mid-size pickups (Nissan for sure, not sure about Toyota or GM products) with 4WD and a manual, but still limited to the low-level trims. Also, are there no other Jeep models with an MT/4WD option?

Even Subaru is slimming the MT options. Forester selection is X model only now (as opposed to X-Premium in the prior gen and throughout the lineup in G1/2), I think the Impreza models are the same, and Outback/Legacy, which are limited to low trims through 14, will be gone in 15 altogether. But, you can get a WRX in any trim with a manual!

When I bought my 2010 Forester five years ago, one of the reasons it was so easy to choose that car was because there really were not any other options that fit the bill and came in at the price we wanted.

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,690
    edited April 11

@xwesx said:

Even Subaru is slimming the MT options. Forester selection is X model only now (as opposed to X-Premium in the prior gen and throughout the lineup in G1/2),

Good news on that front! For 2015 Soob is bringing BACK the Forester Premium trim with the stick (now with 6 speeds of course), so you can get a power seat and the big moonroof without having to settle for the godawful CVT - yay Soob! :-)

Next step: to convince them how insane it is to have a turbo Forester with only a CVT for a transmission choice. ;-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

edited April 11

Good luck with that !! One reasonable way to send a "real message" is for turbo Forester customers to ONLY buy NON CVT's. The other issues are the cost advantages (less cost to them) are overwhelming. Another practical one is I am sure the 6 speed manual they use is top notch. However the range of durability and reliability is really dependent on individual drivers: from lasting 500,000 miles to trashing a clutch in one track session.

@ruking1 said: the range of durability and reliability is really dependent on individual drivers: from lasting 500,000 miles to trashing a clutch in one track session.

That's the case for any car's mechanical parts, albeit to a slightly lesser degree. That said, overall, I agree with you on the "good luck with that" sentiment! Forester is not intended to be a sporty car, even in the turbo trim, so maintaining two transmission choices in a halo trim level just doesn't add up.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,452

A loaded stick forester. Could be a nice option vs. a next gen Golf. If I hit lotto.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

edited April 11

@stickguy said: A loaded stick forester. Could be a nice option vs. a next gen Golf. If I hit lotto.

Good luck with that one !! One of the latest $425 M winners of "CA Power Ball" got his ticker close to the house. It hasn't rubbed off on me. :'(

I read that he elected the lump sum option and after taxes $ 265 M and probably some change. :D

• steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,506
    edited May 3

"A whopping 40 percent of buyers equip their Corvette Stingray with the manual transmission. The rest of the buyers select the six-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission."

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Buyers Love Manual Transmission, Z51 Performance Package

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,598

What a timely post... was just looking at my friend's new C7, this morning.. manual tranny.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

With all that torque you could eliminate about half those gears and not even notice!

edited May 3

As good as the Corvette 6 speed A/T has been, it almost seems a crime that a 6 speed A/T is continued to be offered as an option against a 7 speed M/T (Tremec? best of breed) It would seem an 8 speed A/T (bullet proof) is more in order.

edited May 3

"Next year, an optional eight-speed automatic transmission will debut on Corvette, although GM has not spelled out whether the base car or the uplevel Corvette Z06 will get the new transmission."

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited May 3

Yes I did read the article. Seems like they might have had and still have a myriad of concerns, as GM bought an A/T ZF factory, (I read in passing somewhere in Ohio, not long after they sold an excess capacity A/T plant somewhere else) , not long ago. (GM makes 8 speed A/T under ZF license/franchise or whatever operating/legal procedue)

if it's a really good AT, and fast and intelligent, that's the way to go on this car I think.

edited May 3

Yes for sure ! BUT there can be a Grand Canyon type chasm between should and IS. Otherwise it would seem totally killer to offer a 7 speed M/T and 8 speed A/T in such an ALREADY awesome package.

• cunhaefccunhaefc Posts: 1

Man the day the manual transmission disappears altogether will be a sad day indeed. It's the connection between driver and machine that get's lost and well, that's just a shame.

edited May 3

@ruking1 said: Yes I did read the article.

That extra quote was for the benefit of those skimming. ;)

Way too many shift points though - one thing that's appealing about the xB (on paper anyway) is that it's "just" a five speed.

I could see with a gimpy engine like on an xB, the car would be hunting all day for one of the 8 gears, but on a Corvette I don't think the trans would hunt very much at all.

Hm, don't know what the automatic is in the xB offhand. The 5 speed I was referring to was the manual.

I'd probably stick the manual Vette in second and call it good for the rest of the day.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,598

We have an 8-speed automatic in our X3. It's very unobtrusive. I never notice it... and, I hated the 6-speed auto that came in the '08 model..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,690

@cunhaefc said: Man the day the manual transmission disappears altogether will be a sad day indeed. It's the connection between driver and machine that get's lost and well, that's just a shame.

And we have already lost the steering with the transition to electric - now the wheel is just this limp thing with weird, programmed resistance off center and no indication of what is going on with the front tires. :(

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• eliaselias Posts: 1,913

good point re the electric steering, n.o.
    it may be time for a new forum subject 'the future of hydraulic power steering' ? let us lament its disappearance.
    (fwiw, many performance-car-people seem to prefer electric steering now since it takes zero power from the engine. alternatively they use under-drive-pulleys on the power-steering-pump.)