Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future Of The Manual Transmission

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Naah, some of them are in standard driving mode too, the idea being to help with acceptance of the things. Honda's CVT pretends to be an automatic unless you go WOT, then it acts like an actual CVT. Subaru's new high-torque CVT has modes that mimic a 6 speed automatic or an 8 speed automatic, both with manual shift capability, or it has standard CVT mode.

Obviously when using those sorts of things you lose the advantage of keeping the engine at the ideal RPM all of the time, so there is a definite trade-off. On the other hand, Americans tend to be more accepting of automatics than CVTs. And having the engine drone at a constant RPM the whole time might not be the most wonderful thing, especially if the engine doesn't sound very pleasant to begin with. But life is about trade-offs.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 389
    The trade off for some may be to buy a different car, one without a CVT ( and not necessarily a manual, but a different type of auto, traditional, or DCT). I think the Chrysler DCT is tuned to feel like a traditional slush box to try to avoid the criticism of harsh/ clunky shifts at low speed like Ford and even VW have been getting, haven't driven any of them so do t know if it works or not.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I beg to differ, 3 light years is still 3 years.

Not to get in the middle here, but I beg to differ, 3 light years is a measure of distance, not a measure of time.

I'd stick around for your response, but I only have 30 feet until I have to go to a meeting. I'm hoping it won't last more than a mile, so I'll check in when I get back.

;)
    Some may make that decision, true. Depends on the individual car and car buyer.

I think Chrysler TRIED to make it mimic a slushbox, but even good slushboxes shift quickly. That one doesn't.

The Ford DCT shifts quickly after the clunk fixes....my problem with that one is that it upshifts automatically in "sport" mode...which is probably why they don't call it "manual" mode. :)
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    The Ford DCT shifts quickly after the clunk fixes....my problem with that one is that it upshifts automatically in "sport" mode...which is probably why they don't call it "manual" mode.

As long as it shifts at least a good few ticks well into the red line, I don't mind that one bit. I mean, at that point, you have other choices, none of which I find superior to a lighting quick up-shift; those choices being destroying your engine if there's no rev limiter, or bouncing off of the rev limiter over and over.
    I'd stick around for your response, but I only have 30 feet until I have to go to a meeting. I'm hoping it won't last more than a mile, so I'll check in when I get back.

That's funny, but reminds me of the dumb girlfriend filmed by her boyfriend being unable to answer how many miles they would travel in an hour going 80 miles per hour. Ended up on Youtube.

If she'd of remembered that 80 MPH is both a measure of speed and time, then she'd know the answer was 80 miles.

The H in MPH stand for hours, a measure of time.

Just like 3 light years theoretically is the same as 3 LYY (light years per year).
    edited January 2013
    Just like 3 light years theoretically is the same as 3 LYY (light years per year).

I don't know if you theoretically skipped out on math classes, astronomy classes or both, but if you keep this up, we may have to put you on YouTube.

A light year is the measurement of DISTANCE light travels in one year at 182,000 miles per second. Roughly 6 trillion miles, if you do the multiplication. There is no "per year" in the DISTANCE term "light years". Ask your high school math or physics teacher, if you don't believe me.

3 light years = 18,000,000,000,000 miles. Period.

"3 light years per year" = is not a term I've every heard, but I guess could be interpreted to mean 3 times the speed of light. Which is impossible. Except in the first .00000000000000000000000000000000001 second following the instant of the Big Bang when the universe went from singularity through hyper inflation. But even then, there was no such thing as light in that instant, and the laws of physics as we've known them in the 14.3 billion years since didn't yet exist.

I do agree that the CVT's I've driven fell sluggish. Nissan especially.
    As long as it shifts at least a good few ticks well into the red line, I don't mind that one bit.

No, it's short of redline. Personally a prefer that it hold at the rev limiter instead of shifting.
  • I wonder how many drivers in America even know where the rev limiter kicks in on their cars.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Don't look at me, I've got an SSD. :shades:
    5000 rpm on our X5d
    7000 rpm on my TL 6-speed
    9000 rpm on my old Honda S2000 (it should have had a limiter that didn't allow the engine to drop BELOW 5000 rpm)
    Yeah but we're weird like that. Shifty's right in that probably 0.1% know.
    ...this talk of rev limiters reminded me of a young college age softball teammate from about five years ago. I tore my right ACL in a game and he was driving me home in my car. I noticed he was upshifting at barely 2,000 rpm and lugging the engine to the point that I wasn't sure who was in more pain, me or my TL. He had us in 6th gear going barely 35 mph on Wisconsin Avenue. I kept telling him not to shift so soon, but he just couldn't help himself. Finally I got him to pull over, hobbled my way into the drivers seat, and took off, making sure every shift was at about 6,000 rpm to prove my point.

Come to find out later that his only previous experience driving a manual transmission was earlier that spring with a diesel truck from his dad's landscaping company. He nearly blew it up by driving it 60 miles along I66 at 75 mph in 2nd gear with a full load of mulch. It didn't have a tachometer, rev limiter, or a good shifter gate and he thought he was in 4th. You would have thought the 120 decibel engine noise would have clued him in, but it wan't until the radiator started smoking that he figured it out.
    Ouch!

All manuals should have a tach. Swinging that needle is half the fun!
    All vehicles should have a tach, including all automatics.

Not having a tach sounds like Big 3 thinking and cost cutting.

How else (if your deaf) will you know your in the wrong gear. Having said that, I love newer cars that have a digital read out of the gear you are in.
  • Given that I know 2 people who drove for some time after one of their wheels fell off, and didn't realize something was wrong, I'm not so sure a tachometer is going to register on their radar.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,495
    edited January 2013
    If there is an opinion poll, I would vote to include it as STANDARD equipment.

For me anyway, Tacs are a nice option/standard equipment. I really do not look at it very much (in the real world). That is on A/T's and probably more on topic, on M/T's.
    ...a Datsun 1978 B210GX did not come with a tachometer as standard. But when I bought it, there was a mix up and the price included optional AM radio. The dealer said he could not lower the price, but agreed to swap out the radio for a tach. That swap saved me from a lot of mistakes when I was learning to master a manual transmission. And the Nakamichi/Fosgate sound system a fraternity brother installed a year later was just a tad bit better than the AM radio from Datsun.

Porsche doesn't put the speedometer in the center of the gauge cluster, the tachometer gets top billing wiht the smaller speedometer on the left side. The way it should be.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,941
    I think some cars - automatic Corollas, etc, can get away without a tach.

I watch it in the E55, always amused about how lazy it is at some speeds.