Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future Of The Manual Transmission

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Well the wheels on a scooter are too small and couple that with a sharp steering rake to the front forks and you go right over the bars on an avoidance maneuver.

The other drivers are a problem with ANY two wheeler.

And if you're 60+ on a two wheeler, you can double the bad odds by a factor of 2.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,501
    edited March 2013
    There are larger wheel scooters out there. I am more afraid of sliding on wet ground than going over the bars, and am most afraid of being slammed into by one of our beloved ad necessary fresh off the boat types driving a Lexus LX, or a texting teen.

Older bikers do seem to be claimed around here as much as the 19 year olds on literbikes.

On the bike note, I got an email last night from a local dealer claiming the Honda 500s will be in next month.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited March 2013
    Older bikers do seem to be claimed around here as much as the 19 year olds on literbikes.

Correct - half of motor cycle deaths are 1st year riders. Get past the first year and odds drop by half. ;)
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737
    ...now that I have a new car with a payment...

Did I miss what you are driving? Anyway, congratulations on a new ride!
    A few weeks ago I picked up a new ride. See if you can tell it apart from the old timer :shades:

Just a lease though - the 13s are being given away in advance of the upcoming facelift model, and I got a heck of a deal. I'd never have financed something so pricey. Never had a new car before, so, like the kids say, you only live once.
    Fin - congratulations! Which model is that - I'm not a MB expert - an E class?

It really is nice to have a new car, although I've never leased before.
    Yes, E350 Bluetec. So I can say it is a practical car - diesel with a vinyl (tex) interior :shades:

Usually I have kind of sneered at new cars, but I have to say the technology is fun, and having something under warranty is a little peace of mind. I also got a fair price for the old car, and I sold it before I might have become too attached. As long as my income is stable, I might get into leasing if prices are subsidized like this (I am certain I am paying less than real world depreciation). It'll just eliminate any big vacation for a year or two :shades:
    It'll just eliminate any big vacation for a year or two

Road trip! :P
    For sure, once we get better weather. I look forward to approaching the 40mpg the car is capable of.
    For sure, once we get better weather. I look forward to approaching the 40mpg the car is capable of.

Make sure not to accelerate to autobahn speeds, or your mileage will suffer. :shades:
    usually not a big concern in weatern WA ;)
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    You'll enjoy the new MB, I'm sure.

Didn't you have another vehicle besides the fintail? I didn't think the fintail was your daily drive.
    Yes, fintail hasn't been a daily driver for many years. Latest modern car was an 02 E55 that I bought in 06.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    that cheered me up: so far the mix is 51% of all sales are manuals for the FR-S and 70% of the BRZs sold are manuals. Yay! :-)

I do know the only BRZ my Subaru dealer can keep in stock is an automatic - it is white and is gathering dust on the front lot. The guy that sold me my last Subaru tells me the manuals don't stay longer than a couple of days. Now if only Subaru would see the success of the manual in the BRZ and begin to offer a Forester XT with a manual for 2014. I still can't believe they will only offer a CVT (blecch!) with the turbo!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

They do have 6/8 simulated steps and paddles to let you choose.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Well, the Forester decision was based on experience, apparently. I don't remember the numbers on the 2008 model, but I want to say the take rate was sub-five-percent, which is why they nixed the manual option in 2009. So, while me and you might want one, we didn't put our money where are mouths are when it mattered. ;)

I'm curious at what percent of the manual takes on the BRZ were premium trim level vs. limited.

The Forester's XT variant only comes in the gussied-up versions, and I'm generally not a big fan of "gussy." :blush:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    A little more proof of manual superiority.

TOV dyno tested an Accord Sport with CVT. It is rated at 189 hp and put down 159 on the dyno.
    They also test an Accord EX with the 6MT. It is rated at 185 hp and put down 179 on the dyno.

No wonder the 6MT I4 hit 60 in 6.6 seconds. Not only does it look like the engine is underrated, but it is also much more efficient at getting power down with the 6MT.
    179 at the wheels is 200 plus gross, wow.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,699
    The CVT MIGHT be better than a similar but discontinued Accord 6 speed A/T slush box.

Parasitic losses are basically unchanged (min of 11.2% to more like 13.3% ) and still HIGH OVER the 6 speed M/T, despite the more "efficient" CVT. My further take is that the "higher" power output still doesn't help too much.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    CVT's are terrible 99-cent type transmissions.

I just found out my friends 2007 Nissan with the generic 4-banger motor is going to soon be on its third CVT transmission at about 65,000 miles. The first one didn't last longer than 24 hours, as they replaced his engine and transmission on day 2.

Now again he needs to get it checked as it's making all kinds of noises. He also was told to replace his AC, and recently replaced his CAT converter.

He has paid for the AC ($1,400), but Nissan has the long emissions warranty thanks to CA, so that was covered (saved him about $1,400 too), Nissan obviously paid for the 2nd engine and 2nd transmission replacement when the car was new, and he tells me Nissan decided to warranty these 99 cent disposable CVT transmissions to 10 years or 120,000 miles. So it looks like he'll be covered again.

I told him Nissan has no quality control, his car has lost the equivalent of its brain, heart, lungs, and penis in less than 66,000 miles! Although they've been lucky and had no issues until recently, these 4 HUGE issues are like having 4 different stage 4 cancer diagnosis'.

Even the Neon's ancient 3-speed was good for about 60K miles, the Nissan CVT is averaging 32,500 miles per unit for my friend, who doesn't drive it hard, and only has the meager and weak 2.5 4 cylinder engine.