Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future Of The Manual Transmission

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    amen, brother, if you were anywhere near Alamogordo, NM, now I'd feel like taking you out for pizza and Margarita's! That's what someone wants to hear 'bout now, not goofy scary negative stories designed to worry and pester a fellow car nut (I...I mean car man).

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Actually Honda is not killing off the stick as fast as was implied. They actually have more MT models of Accord available for '13 than for '12 - 3 vs 2.

They do carry Accord sticks in stock. I bought mine off the dealer lot - no special order or laughing. EX with sunroof, backup cam, keyless entry and start, mirror cam, blutooth, remote window roll down etc. etc. So not that basic. No leather though, but maybe they will add that for the refresh.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 242
    There are several things you can to do IMMENSELY improve the handling for not much money, as well as improve the engine.

Buy a '71 or newer bug. They have independent rear axle, a better oil cooler(called a "doghouse") and dual-port heads for better breathing. Another thing to give you an instant 1500 RPM of useable power is change out the stock 1.1 ratio rocker arms for a 1.4 ratio.

I did this to a "slightly punched" motor, and my useable RPM's went from 4.5 K to 6K.

Also, in that hot environment, install a higher capacity oil pump.

By using the doghouse cooler and the high-capacity oil pump, the engine will run cooler than if you had the external cooler. You are reading the words of someone who tried 5 aftermarket coolers and filter setups, before realizing the stock doghouse was best for cooling.

If you are mostly driving on the street, install a rear anti-sway bar(3/8" is all you need) and swap out the front bar from 3/8ths to 3/4 inch.

With my bug, putting out 125HP bench tested, and the handling mods, I used to give my friend in his 2002 tii ABSOLUTE FITS 'cause I could power-drift around him on a freeway cloverleaf... :shades:
    hey, you're destroying te stereotype of VW Bugs being gutless bombs, stop it! Great ideas from this Edmunds' bunch of car nuts, I knew I could count on you guys! My wife pleaded again with me not to buy one, so here we go again.

Gonna be a really, really tough sell to her on this idea.

"Go ahead and hit me with it, Mary! What kind of chance do I have with you?" ~ Jim Carrey, 'Dumb and Dumber'

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,644
    it's not a stereotype though------what he has done is all the right stuff to correct many of the car's original deficiences.....lack of power and squirrely handling. What he's telling you is that you don't have to be satisfied with the original as it is.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,700
    if you were anywhere near Alamogordo, NM, now I'd feel like taking you out for pizza and Margarita's! That's what someone wants to hear 'bout now, not goofy scary negative stories designed to worry and pester a fellow car nut (I...I mean car man).

I learned all about working on cars due to my '66 Bug. I learned how to change oil, adjust valves, points, timing. I learned how to change a clutch (you have to remove the engine--but in the Bug that's pretty easy and you don't need much other than some basic tools, a jack, and a collapsed cardboard box to do that, either. The only engines I've ever rebuilt were VW Bug engines, too.

Ahh, such fond memories.....
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,644
    Aside from transaxle work, there's not much on a VW Bug that the amateur mechanic can't do in his driveway.
    I got that. I was just kiddin'. I have a business card of a local here in southern NM who rebuilds them. He would be my most logical contact, especially if I want those updates done. And they sound like they ought ta be done, if for no other reason than to keep up with the traffic flow of the region.

Way too many hicks in pickups around here that would love ta run my Beetle-bug right into the dusty ground en route ta their destination. :surprise:

• volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    New version of Rondo just came out. Still has a stick option but base only as you repeatedly complain. Broader options for both models in EDM and Asian markets. I'd love one of the many AWD micro vans the asian markets get. Know two people here with the Diesel stick AWD Mitsu Mivec, but they are quite old and RHD as they are Japanese cast-offs. Modern version of that would be sweet. Think AWD off-road version of the M5 - uber fun vehicle that can still haul the kids.
  • bob4021bob4021 Posts: 1
    I´ve always liked using a stick shift. Never cared much for automatics. Kinda takes the fun out of driving.

• volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    edited May 2013
    Brain fart...just noticed I wrote Mivec, meant Mitsu Delica.
    AND just to hammer home the annoying reality, the latest version comes with CVT as the only transmission option.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    edited June 2013
    le sigh. If I drive mine like I stole it, no problems. Otherwise, I hate the clutch on that car.... it's just too touchy. There's no "feel" to it.... just disengaged to *Bam!* engaged. If it had a diesel engine, that'd probably be a nice combo. :P
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Just noticed that a Honda dealer near me has 5 Accords in stock with the stick shift. Nice to see that they are out there.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 388
    I seem to have a similar issue with my Toyota Matrix, I still stall it from time to time if I try to take off gently and smoothly, I am not sure it engages in the same spot all the time even ( I think I have read other comments about this too). It works properly with no slippage, but you have to give it more throttle to make sure it doesn't stall when you start off.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    Yeah, I think it's strange. Our 2007 Outback was the same way, so I think it's just a "feature" of the clutch. I haven't had that problem on any other manual I've driven. Some are more "feelable" than others, but even low-torque setups like my Fiesta are real easy to get in touch with. I just haven't ever found that mild-mannered equilibrium with the Forester.

I can sure persuade it to move with ferocity, though. It impresses me how quickly that car can move (which annoys my wife to no end, given that she drives it in "little old lady mode").
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    "I just bought a new 2014 Mustang V6 Coupe and it's running fine except at toll booths it won't shift into 1st or 2nd." (link)

Only happens at toll booths, home of all those EZ transponders - maybe some tin foil lining the hood and dashboard would fix it?
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,830
    edited June 2013
    possibly try a double-clutch to get it into 1st after stopping:

move gear shift to neutral.
    fully release clutch pedal.
    depress again the clutch pedal
    move gear shift to 1st
    here in 100° Alamogordo. I found a '67 VW Bug in white here west of town at a small, private seller of automobiles on Highway 70 that leads to Las Cruces, NM. It is a 4-speed stick and its body is straight, newer tire and wheels that just make the car look great.

He wants $3,000 for it and from my research, if its mechanically sound, that is a very fair price for it. Here we go!

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Yee Haw, how's the AC in it?

/snicker :)

Seriously, how is the heat? Looks like we aren't going to get out there this summer as hoped.