Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future Of The Manual Transmission

Comments

• It's a very short stick, so you're getting that same kind of effort as when you buy a short-shift kit, I think. You're losing leverage on such a stubby "oar".

How's that Fiat 500 in a crosswind? Sandman says it's a handful for him.

the Fiat is certainly cheaper than the Mini. A loaded MINI can bust $30K!
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,490
    There will be a 7 speed (Tremec) M/T in the 2014 Corvette Sting Ray I have read in a few articles. It will also have a match rev feature.
  • 7 speeds with all that torque? The rationale escapes me.

match-rev is very cool, though.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,971
    Looks like the 7 speed manual is standard. (2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Z51 Long-Term Road Test)
  • good for towing? :)
    There's quite a few out there, lol.
  • (The SCENE is a cocktail party on the patio of a local winery. Two middle-aged men with bad hairpieces are conversing)

"Six speeds? .....oh, well... I have SEVEN"
    My swag is for the 29 mpg H EPA ! I haven't read the fine print, but normally the Corvette posts top speed is in one gear less. So for example, a 7 speed M/T is sort of a double over drive. (6,7 speed)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    I would bet the Corvette gets top speed in 5th or even 4th. 6th is still pretty darn tall. Top gear in recent Corvettes has been about 1300 rpm at 60 mph so with a 6500 rpm redline that would be a top speed of 300 mph. So you would need to be geared 1/3 lower for a 200 mph top speed, so probably a 2 or 3 gear drop.
    @ that time, the 2001 Corvette Z06 posted its top speed in 5th gear (6speed M/T).
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Looked it up and Corvette has triple overdrive. 4th is 1.0 7th is .42

top gear rpm at 60 mph is just about 1,100 rpm. 6,600 rpm = 360 mph theoretical max speed
    6th gear is about 1,300 rpm for a 305 max speed.
    5th gear is about 1,900 rpm for a 208 max speed.

My money is on 5th gear as 6th and 7th are clearly too tall get get the revs up where the power is.
    Works for me, my guess is as good as your guess.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    I haven't experienced wander in cross winds, unlike, for example, my neighbor's 2011 Fit, or, worse, my friend's ~2003 Echo. The 500 has a heavier, more tied down feel to it than those cars, in my opinion. The MINI is even more tied down than the 500, of course, but the 500 satisfies my needs. Our TL and A4 are available when more space is required.

My second choice would have been a Fiesta, which impressed me when I rented one in AZ.

As an aside, the current 500 was introduced in Europe for the 2007 model year, so it's a proven design. I read that Fiat is in the process of deciding whether the next new 500 will be roughly the same size as the current one, to satisfy European tastes and most other markets, or larger, which is apparently what Americans would prefer. I would vote for keeping it the same size, since there are far more choices in larger vehicles than there are in sub-compacts.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    "the Fiat is certainly cheaper than the Mini. A loaded MINI can bust $30K!"

And lower maintenance too, would be my guess. The MINI would win in the subjective "fun-to-drive" attribute.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,904
    I drove my friend's C6 Z06.... You only need two gears with 505 HP and all that torque.. 2nd and 5th..

Also, do not -- DO NOT - mash the gas, unless all wheels are pointed straight forward.... geez...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    What's happening to the 5 door? Still shows on the 14 model list on the Subie website.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    They are introducing the new WRX (no longer the Impreza WRX, just the whole-different-model-line WRX from then on, dontcha' know) next year as a '15 model. And word as of a month ago was no 5-door any more, only a sedan.

They are crazy - the 5-door is by far the best-selling WRX trim. And certainly the one I would want.

And no 7-speed manual - too bad! ;-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    That's going backwards to the first gen USDM STi - sedan only. Shame. Guess I won't be tempted to trade, so that saves me $$$
    Another death knell story.

The stick shift has steadily lost ground to automatic transmissions and now makes up about four per cent of new vehicles sales in the U.S. - down from eight per cent in 2003, said Jeremy Acevedo, auto analyst at Edmunds.com."

While manual cars are more common on European roads, they are on track to become virtually extinct in North America over the next 15 to 20 years."

Standard fans shift on (windsorstar.com)