Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs. Toyota Avalon

Comments

• dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    by gladiator99: Prior to purchasing my Lexus, I owned a 2002 Acura TL Type S. I now own the Avalon Limited and I can only tell you that you have indeed made a good decision on purchasing the Avalon.

Regards: Dan
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    Glad the Avalon won you over!! Nice comments. I would like to add that I have always found Toyota to have better materials on the inside. More polished with seats etc. Better quality. I was ratehr surprised at the TL and RL as the interior didn't look as nice.
    Great choice with the Avalon... I would like to add a comment that I found the interior spaces to be more attractive and better materials used than Acura. Toyota has always been a step above Honda and Acura with quality materials inside.
    Enjoy the new Avalon.
  • These are the exact two cars that made it to my short list. In fact, I was sold on the Avalon before I drove it. I was looking at the limited, and here in Northern VA. they are not discounting them at all. The one I had in my hands including TTL was out the door at 39000.00. However, I did not like the feel of the car over curved roads, S curves, and so forth. Plus the car is almost a foot longer than the Acura TL. Back that baby up a few times, and I personally had trouble, probably due to the shape of the rear end and my poor depth perception.
    I went back and test drove the Acura again, and it definitely felt more attached to the road, where the Avalon just floated along. Plus out the door with TTL the Acura was 5000.00 less.
    These are both great cars, but you do have to test drive them because that is where the real difference is.
    Now, I have a deposit down on an Acura, but it has not come in yet.
    Best of luck with your new Acura.. While I have the Limited, we all have to get what we want, and they are all great cars.
    Regards, RONN
  • mcardlemcardle Posts: 36
    I've been checking out the Avalon forum for months, and went to the auto show with the Mrs. a couple weeks back... thinking it was to say "here's our next car". Upon seeing the Avalon, the first words out of her mouth were "The dash is u-g-l-y. Can we look at something else?" Hmmmm...

So we then started looking at other cars around the $35 mark, and the TL was one. Definitely a different look and feel, but two very good cars from two outstanding manufacturers.

We'll have to go spend some time in both soon, but I'm glad to see others who have taken the time to compare.
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    I would personally opt for the TL due to the better price, better resale, better fit and finish, and better warranty over the Avalon.

The Avalon rear tailamps were misaligned in the picture I saw. My guess is that this is intentional. I also agree that the interior dash of the Avalon is awful.

However, I would probably look at the Lexus ES 330. They usually discount those quite a bit. I may by this vehicle in May.
  • I realize this is a TL, Avalon comparo. To me these are very different cars. IMO the Avalon is more comparable to the Lexus ES and Nissan Maxima. Big, refined, quiet near lux rides (Maxima is probably more of a sport/sedan hybrid). Whereas, the TL is made to be a near lux sport sedan.
    We Avalon folks don't feel the dash is ugly. Pretty awesome in our eyes. As afr as fit and finish, Toyota has always used the finest of materials in their cars. Lexus dash very attractive...I don't think so. You should study the Avalon carefully...it's reviews top the others hands down!!!!Opinions are what makes the world go round....good luck with whatever you choose.
  • mcardlemcardle Posts: 36
    I don't think so either, but since I've acceded control of interior design inside the house, I may have to do the same inside the car. We'll see... Thanks.
    Avalon vs Maxima would be a great choice for discussion, and to me would also be a better comparison. HOST...consider a new post with that. They are both cool cars. I would be interested in what Maxima drivers think of the Avalon.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi ronn - feel free to create a discussion with that subject. Go to the main list on this Sedans Comparisons board, hit Add Discussion and go from there.

It should be a good comparo.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    There's an ES vs. Avalon thread already. Maybe just adding Maxima to it.

A long while back there's an ES vs. TL (new models) comparison forum but it did not last very long mainly because of a general consensus that those two cars, despite similarly priced, are attracting different crowds, I'd say the reasoning logic applies even more so to Avalon vs. TL. I actually think there're more people cross shopping ES vs. TL, or Avalon vs. ES, than Avalon vs. TL.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Posts: 158
    Interesting discussion here. These were my picks last November. My wifes car was an '02 Avalon XLS which she loved. It's her driver unless we go on trips. My toy is a Corvette Z06 which she hates so it was her choice.
    Drove the Maxima---I liked it but she felt it was a little firm and noisy compared to her Avalon and she thought the lack of leather on the door panels was "cheap".
    Then the TL which I drooled over----drop dead georgeous. Her opinion, firm ride and nosier that her sled. She also disliked the fact that the passenger seat was only 4 way adjustable and she could not get comfortable with it. Frankly, I agreed with her on this point. Secondly, when she put a styrofoam cup in the cupholder it virtually disappeared...too deep...and if you wanted to use the second cup holder, you had to raise the arm rest to get at it....wierd!
    Question became, wait for the new Avalon or check the Lexus out. One drive in the ES330 and the rest is history. It has become her "favorite car ever"!
    Most of the attributes of a car is strictly personal preference. Wifey happens to like QUIET and SMOOTH; I prefer looks,handling and performance so my first choice was the TL; second was the Maxima but since I drive what I want she made the choice.
    "Bang for the Buck" goes to Maxima hands down. Last November dealers were offering them at invoice less the 1k rebate and the Maxima came with power tilt/telescopic wheel tied into the memory system---also heated steering wheel so for the $$$, it's great. However if one considers Maximas value a couple years down the road, you likely will have lost more than you gained.
    Doubt all this helps anybody, just my thoughts.
  • I looked at both, and went with the TL. Avalon was too long (difficulty parking in garage) Also, my former impression of the avalon was that it was an "old man car." This is not true with the new avalon, but the TL is sportier. I liked the bluetooth on the TL and the Nav.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Posts: 248
    I think you have hit the nail on the head. The TL is sportier, the NAV and Bluetooth on the TL are incredible! And, the Avalon has had a reputation as an "old man's car". However, I think the NEW 05 Avalon has an elegant style, upscale in my humble opinion.

The problem I have with the TL is there is not much leg room in the back seat, and the head room is limited if you have a long Torso, or are tall. The Avalon has incredible leg room, and better head room. The Nav is not as good as Acura, but it does work, and is the next best system available. Bluetooth is missing in action.
  • deaniedeanie Posts: 172
    Hi:
    If you need a car with room for two infant or toddler seats in the rear with room left for one adult (as is the case with me), there is only one choice - Avalon. TL, ES have room for two only, the adult would be a tight squeeze in the Maxima, but the Avalon has the widest rear bench by an inch or two (does anyone have the exact rear shoulder/hiproom measurements? I'm just going by memory).
    Regards,
    Deannie
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    IMHO, if you consistently need to carry 2 infant seats plus an adult in the back seat, but perhaps a minivan is more appropriate, and more comfortable for all concern in the long run.

I checked out the specs and performance of the new Avalon in the current issue of C & D, and they are impressive for this genre of car. But the styling still does nothing for me. It is just not a car that makes you drool from looking at it.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    "Secondly, when she put a styrofoam cup in the cupholder it virtually disappeared...too deep...and if you wanted to use the second cup holder, you had to raise the arm rest to get at it....wierd!"

You/she might have the arm rest set on the forward position (for more arm resting). You can move it backward a bit so that both cups are wide open. One of TL's cup holders is kinda deep while the other is more shallow, for uses on different cups/bottles. Is she ok with ES cup holders tho? It's cute but won't hold your Starbucks too well. Anyway if QUIET and SMOOTH is the key to hers, get ready for a Lexus in your garage (on her spot) for a long time!
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Posts: 104
    Hi Guys! Picked up our new Avalon XLS yesterday and man what a great ride!! Our dealer was located about 100 miles away, so we had a nice drive home. I am satisfied with my choice of the Avalon over the Acura TL. The Avalon seems quieter and a softer ride. The TL I drove provided more road feel and also more road noise. The Avalon is a larger car than my 02 TL but still fits in the Garage.