Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bob Lutz - Is he making the grade?

Comments

• jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Good point dt,

This just echoes a great deal of GM's problems. People have long memories of "failures" and won't return just because there are new cars that are promoted as better. It can take years just to persuade someone to take another look at Saturn, let only any GM product; even longer to get them to actually buy one. Especially if their replacement was/is superior in many areas.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Did you see the GM logo on the 09' Camaro concepts belt buckles ?

Rocky
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    No, i didn't. I did see it at the chicago autoshow, and thought it was a good looking car, but we couldn't sit inside.
    Well they are their. Saw it in Motor Trend on the Convertible ;)

Rocky
  • Not to down play Chevrolet's "all things for all people" role at GM, Chevy will get more than it's share of much improved new product. But it will SATURN & CADILLAC that will return product credibility to GM and what remains of the domestic car business.

Sad to say, PONTIAC may have passed it's point of relevance as a motor division and what ever product gaps might remain would easily be filled By Saturn and Chevy. Lutz's one great failure may have been his not recognizing that fact. The G6 did not fit the pontiac mold and Pontiac did'nt need a GTO, they needed a TRANS AM. if the G8 fails, Pontiac might follow OLDSMOBILE. I hope not. Perhaps the G8 and other RWD, high performance models can save Pontiac, we'll see.

The new CTS shows that cadillac's products are mellowing and maturing nicely. The new Opel influnced Saturn product are some of the most exciting and credible GM products in many a year. If you hav not driven that Saturn AURA XR, you are in for a shock and a real treat. I think it is the best mids-size car you can buy in the American market, period.

Then there is BUICK. Buick's newest products are really nice cars. Smooth riding, quiet, well made, solid, secure and I think, very good looking in a conservative manner. I have no ideas what to do with Buick but I belive they deserve attention to more clearly identify their place in the sun.

All in all, I believe Bob lutz deserves kudos for what he has wrought at GM and he should continue to serve where he is.
    I hope Lutz, on the kappa refresh's will tighten up the suspension to miata MX-5 specs.....

Rocky
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    I hope he does not. Better handling, yes. but not the harsh ride.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "Then there is BUICK. Buick's newest products are really nice cars. Smooth riding, quiet, well made, solid, secure and I think, very good looking in a conservative manner. I have no ideas what to do with Buick but I belive they deserve attention to more clearly identify their place in the sun."

I just don't know if Buick can stay alive in the US I mean alot of Buicks future will be told will on how the Enclave sells. NOw, I know GM has 6,000 pre-orders for the Enclave but how will the Enclave sell in the long run once supply meets demand of this vehicle? See the trouble I have with Buick is are they gonna only 3 sell models(Enclave, LaCrosee, and Lucrene) and is that gonna be it or does Gm have more product/vehicles coming out for Buick after the Enclave? If GM is only gonna have 3 models for Buick to sell than Buick is gonna have a tough hill to climb(sales wise)to be a player in the US.

"All in all, I believe Bob lutz deserves kudos for what he has wrought at GM and he should continue to serve where he is."

I agree.
    Well I agree. Just would like to see some more interior and suspension refinement next go around. ;)

Rocky
    Buick will become more of a lower volume niche player. They are able to do this profitably by combining at the GMC/Pontiac/Buick dealership.
    I don't think will shrink as much as you might think. I think the transition period we are looking at from FWD to RWD will have a negative affect at first but when Buick, gets all their ducks lined up they could return back to normal and sell in higher volumes. Of course those volumes won't be as high as they were in the past but they will be more profitable per unit IMHO if a wrench isn't thrown into the plans. ;)

Rocky
    What RWD? Ok maybe the Lucerne because there is no longer a large FWD platform but the Enclave and LaCrosse will remain FWD (hey, just like Lexus) and I also believe volume of the three main models will go up but never hit the huge volumes of the past. BUT still profitable.
    Mr. 62vetteefp, you are forgetting about the RWD 2010' Buick Velite Sedan also ;)

Rocky
  • Is the Velite official? I usre hope so as it is gorgeous, but have they confirmed?
    The Velite, will be a 2010 RWD Sedan built on the ZETA, according to Motor Trend, who got a leak. I naturally would assume they need the RWD sedan for the high volume to make a niche 2-door hardtop convertible cost effective. I expect it to be built then or the following year. This is the prediction if the the insider is correct. The Velite, sedan isn't official from GM, but came from a reliable leak. The Convertible wasn't mentioned but is a logical assumption by me. ;)

-Rocky
  • That sounds great and it is needed. I am still kinda flabbergasted that the dealers turned down the Statesman - which they desperately need.

I would add though, MT is the absolute worst for coming up with "scoops" that are not based in reality.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Posts: 240
    >The Velite, sedan isn't official from GM, but came from a
    reliable leak. The Convertible wasn't mentioned

Hope the convertible doesn't leak :P
    I know that a new LaCrosse is coming based on the Eps 2. Enclave is here soon. Now what the 3rth/4th model/s are is the question.

Not a large FWD car because there is no platform for it. I forsee one/two models based on zeta. Whether it is called Lucerne/park Avenue/Velite/whatever does not really matter.

I hope it is a larger 4 door sedan called Lucerne and a 5 passenger 4 door or 2 door convertible called Velite.
    Well pal I have been a subscriber to Motor Trend off and on since I was a teenager and began buying them off the news stand at the age of 8 or 9. I would say they are 75-80% accurate on their "leaks" and those won't happen on Velite Convertibles "irnmdn" :P

Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Is Lutz making the grade? He passed the "make stylish and appealing cars" test, but so far he seems to be bombing the "make efficient cars" test.