Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Engine Swaps

Comments

• See? We have more in common than just a need for speed ,I also weigh in at 250lb. That's a darn fast 2.6 liter. I wish I could see it in action. Oh well. By the way Fox boded mustangs weigh less than most people think. My GT vert is only at 2800lb's all dressed up. The coupe is at 2600lb's.

p.s.-If you don't mind me being nosy. How much did it cost to build that 2.6? If you wish to be discreete drop me a line at j.tyler@washingtonemc.com. If you'd rather not say I'd understand.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,295
    Hi Bob, here's the link to your post:

rbillieux, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #1345, 21 Apr 2005 2:26 pm

You can also navigate there by going to the Maintenance board using the Browse by Board drop down box on the left or Search Forums for Quick.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,272
    Now here's an engine I could stuff into my Porsche 928:

http://www.race-cars.com/engsales/other/1098459638/1098459638ss.htm

RE: "Baking" an engine---I think you misunderstood....I didn't mean you were "frying" it, I meant it was being "cooked" in a good way...

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• That would be sweet.You could also go to Robert Yates or Jack Roush Racing and aquire a reconditioned NASCAR engine and do about the same power for about the same price.Either way.....REAL NICE!! :shades:
  • Back to that small block in a 240Z - there was an outfit that used to sell those conversions called Scarab, if my memory serves me.
  • so far around 4000. 3800 was the motor and 200 on rods so far.. The intake and exhaust was free so he could get his name out in the public.. So not to bad so far..
  • Man....tough to beat thous numbers and get thous times. Nice job! :shades:
  • I have a lot of friends in the industry and they have alot of parts that they dont use any more or are willing to help out to get there name out there to public..Over the weekend at the NOPI event in Va. i watch one of good friends go 8.05 with a stock RB26 in his pro rear car.. The car was an all tube car and liberty trans and one big GT40 turbo.. here are some pics of the intake and turbo manifold.. Granted the they are on a Supra but the same guy built mine...Dang i will have to find them and put the link on the next post..
    Later Derek
  • here you go. Remember its on a Supra for your look..
    [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/TurboDude84/sup6.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/TurboDude84/sup3.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/TurboDude84/IMG_0172.jpg[/IMG]
    these pics should help. This will show power that can be produced
    Later Derek
  • When I go to that link, it pulls up your account and promts me for your password. Oh well, that's ok. Thanks anyway for you effort. :confuse:
  • I think I needed to log out. Give it another whirl
    Later Derek
  • Both my dad and I have swappe 928's, here's a link to check them out.

link titleSuperSharks
  • O.M.G WOW i thought i did some crazy stuff. that is off the hook.. One thing how does it drive..
    Later Derek
  • They drive excellent. There is a slight obstruction of view in the yellow one, but they handle great.
  • Still no go.
  • SWEEEEET!!! I don't know anything about porsche but I would have thought they would not have needed any help in the engine department. How does the extra weight feel? I could only imagin that Porsche finatics would "poo poo" at you.(give ya the finger that is.) Also are there any problems with the chassis handling the extra power and torque? I mean, the first time I put a crotchrocket motor in an atv I realy had to reinforce the frame and swing arm. No problems like that?
  • Oh Ok I wasn't sure what you meant.. In my business there are a lot of people that doesn't like the idea of a power adder of any sort.. So i wasn't sure what you meant,
    But its all good here..
    Later Derek
  • My younger brother shoe horned a 460 in to an old '85 stang last year just because he could. He found the v8 coupe minus engine + tranny for $300. He also happened to know where a '76 Mercury Grand marque was at for $100 (Donner car for the 460 and C6 tranny) He rebuilt both and simply stuffed em' in. They actually fit real nice. It cost him less than $1200 total Including the paint! (called in a lot of favors)
    Porsche 928 chassis is very good and can handle a lot of HP. Most of the car is quite over-built; however I think bigger brakes would be a good idea.

This engine swap is something you might do to a 928 not so much for the power, because the cars are already powerful, but to avoid having to rebuild a 928 engine, which can be very expensive. A late model 928 is already way fast but an earlier 928 only has a 4.5 liter V-8 and could easily handle another 100 HP from a built-up Chevy motor.

• Well, the 928 is supposed to handle a 1000 horse straight from the factory. When my car was built (it's an 82' Euro) it was delivered with 300 hp. MOst were around 240 to 350 depending on year and trim. The chevy motor minus the blower is actually 200 pounds lighter than the stock 928 motor, with the blower I am basically spot on. The main problem with the stock 928 is they don't accelerate as fast as one would hope. They are sickening quick when accelrating from 50 on, but typically 0-60's aren't that impressive. I just g-timed the car this weekend, and with about 150 ft of tire tracks (not alot of grip with the Kumhos) I managed a 0-60 in 4.2 (this is the yellow car). I will be picking up some sort of drag radials and hope to get in the mid to high 3's. Will find out sooner or later. As far as braking, thankfully I havent had a problem yet, but I'm not exactly racing it all the time either. Its just nice to know that the power is there if I ever need it.
    Well a stock 928 S4 will do 165 mph and with a good sharp driver 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. This is fast enough for street work I think and isn't begging for an engine swap.

But an older 928 isn't that fast off the line, that's true, maybe a mid to high 6 second car. So an engine swap is tempting if the stock engine is ailing.

But the stock 928 engine will run hard all day long and usually if you can't outrun some cars you can just put the needle in the red zone and outlast 'em. 928 engines are very strong but alas, sooooooo expensive to fix.

• Yeah, the Porsche is ALMOST bullet proof, but there are always those circumstances where something may go wrong, and as you know and say, very expensive to fix. The motor as I have it set up is extremely streetable, can run all day long, of course I am not running that much boost. I wish I was mechanically inclined enough to setup the engine, but I'm not, and this was a learning experience for my mechanic so last summer I ended up going through three complete overhauls, with the final one being a replacement of literally everything below the blower. Of course top speed is all about gearing and horse, and my gearing is the same, horsepower is just doubled, so I should top out around 190 or so.

If you guys are ever in the Minneapolis area, I would love to take you for a ride so you can feel the difference between this and stock.
    I'd LOVE to do that, but I'm not going 190 with you unless you show me your creds--LOL!

• driftracerdriftracer Posts: 2,692
    I'll no longer be a part of the Edmunds "family" - I wish everyone the best, as I've made several good friends here - those good friends have contact info for me. I've enjoyed what Edmunds has done for me through very trying personal times, including my son's cancer diagnosis, the loss of both my parents, and my sister's recent death. That, and putting up with 42 lawyers on a daily basis.

Good luck, friends, and Godspeed.
  • jheldjheld Posts: 1
    I'm looking for anyone who has swapped a 996 engine into a Boxter.
    I think he'd have to be a good welder but I'll check on the feasibility for you. the 996 isn't a great engine, you might want to have someone think twice about this.

• bznyabznya Posts: 4
    hi, i was wondering how this swap went,im looking at doing a rb26dett with a 6 spd into my 240z and was just wondering how it went for you?
    thanks
    bznya
  • bznyabznya Posts: 4
    just looking for some info on a swap into my 240z ,has anybody done this ? or heard of it?
  • johnstonjohnston Posts: 1
    I am putting a 1.8 mitsubishi motor in a 94 eagle talon that had a 2.0 in it. Will the computer handle this??