Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Friends Don't Let Friends Modify Cars"

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'll agree, if it's a new car that's still under warranty.

But often these are project cars, bought used or inherited, and much can be learned from a little tinkering.

I wouldn't go overboard, but it can be a positive/learning experience for those mechanically inclined and interested.
  • xaetaxaeta Posts: 8
    if you didn't like your car then buy a new one. If you can't afford a new one, modify your current one as you see fit (interior or exterior).

People only get into accidents because they are accidents. Sure there are quite a lot that would involve modified cars, but that shouldn't be a reason to stop you from modifying your car as you see fit.

What ever happened to personalization, customization, and making it truly your own? Is it wrong to be different?
    Wanting to make it your own isn't the problem.

It's the quality of some of these aftermarket parts that just isn't up to par. Quite often you'll see "For Show/Off Road Use Only" right on the package, yet you just know these people aren't taking those items off the car when they drive on public roads.

Things like poor taillights could be a safety hazard. In fact I believe many of them were recalled for that reason. Too-dark tint means you can't see when you're parking. Or oversized wheels with a weight the suspension isn't meant to handle.

Those things are wrong, yet they're common.
  • xaetaxaeta Posts: 8
    Well that's just a factor that you can't change. It's there personal choice to use such parts OUTSIDE of the autoshows, and they know the risks when installing and USING such parts.

What is the point in raising a fuss and a complaint over something as trivial as human will to do as they please?

I'm not tryin' to oust you or anything, I'm just saying that those individuals know the consequences for their actions yet still have the impulse to have a fast affordable car.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    My favorite is the show parts that people think are "go-fast" parts. Having spent a lot of time on the racetrack, it's amazing how far your money goes for training, which gives you the most edge of any "modification" that you can buy!

-mike
    Well, the short answer is that driving is a privilege, not a right. Enforcing basic safety laws will hopefully keep those "off road use only" parts off of public roads.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    i think most people who put anything aftermarket onto their car, especially with regards to looks, have no idea about the consequences.
  • super_tsuper_t Posts: 1
    And that goes both ways. There are a lot of aftermarket parts that shouldn't have made it to production. Things like the "tornado" fuel saver and stick-on Buick-style porthole vents. And when it comes to brake rotors, you get what you pay for. But there's a sucker born every minute, and it's lucrative to prey on them. Having said that...
    To make blanket statements about modifying cars is a misnomer and exhibits an equal level of ignorance. Many parts are labeled "for off-road use only" because the company doesn't employ a fleet of lawyers to flock to their rescue when some [non-permissible content removed] wrecks himself on the road and tries to blame the aftermarket parts. That, or they are "illegal" in states such as California where pretty much nothing short of changing your oil is permitted. This label certainly doesn't indicate that the parts are unfit for daily use. Think about it, performance parts are meant to stand up to hours of track driving, hundreds of 1/4 mile passes, etc. Do you really think the daily commute is too much for them to handle?

Many people are disillusioned about what they buy. The author of this article hit it dead on the nose... if you spend a few grand on something, of course you're going to think it helped the car. Anybody with half a brain knows the proof is in the pudding though. Run laps with an electronic timer before and after a suspension upgrade to evaluate its worth. Run some 1/4 mile passes before and after an engine upgrade to determine how much faster you are. **gasp** Fork over a few bills and get some dyno time. There is always room for improvement. You just have to distinguish improvement from change.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    see my comment at increasing/horse power and torque/mpg
    and my blog on a current performance up date on a gm product that has no effect on mpg or warranty.
  • Could not be more true for engine tuning. For other effects though it is different. Speakers, t.v.'s ,rims, tint, paint, all this can be done by a logical person. One must just know the limits of what they can do.
2»
This discussion has been closed.