Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 450h

Comments

• ideleidele Posts: 200
    Alas I didn't debug. It's completely not cpmpletely
  • Are you haveing problems with it?

Is it getting the economy you expected? What did you expect.

From your post, it sound like mechanical problems are not included.

DrFill
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Lexus/review/2007-lexus-gs-450h-preview/1500/

"As with all hybrids, the benefits are not merely inclusive to horsepower. The boost includes an increase in torque - a steady surge of which is available from 0 rpm. For those curious, the GS 450h really does perform like a car powered by a 4.5-liter engine (which is what Lexus is referring to when designating it with the "450" numeric name), at least according to Lexus own internal tests. Taking less than 6 seconds toreach 60 mph from standstill, it slots well into the performance range of high-powered midsize competitors from BMW and Infiniti. Like the Highlander Hybrid or RX 400h, midrange pull should be more than enough to surprise the uninitiated, particularly for passing at higher speeds. As always, the GS 450h abides by Lexus commitment to producing full hybrid vehicles, with the ability to operate on pure electrical assist or in tandem with the gasoline engine. This seems to be a trend for all new hybrid vehicles, however, with even Hondas Civic now capable of running only on electrical propulsion, and GM committed to a full-hybrid system for its next-generation HEVs."
  • Too bad there aren't any plans for an AWD version of this vehicle for those of us that live in areas that are not real friendly to RWD vehicles (for part of the year) :( .
  • hendjazhendjaz Posts: 155
    I saw a magazine blurb about Neiman Marcus putting up for sale 75 of the 06 GS 450h sedans as its holiday vehicle in "limited edition" mode without further details on what that means. The article otherwise indicates it will have bluetooth, Mark Levinson stereo (yawn) and rearview camera. Price is $65K. No indication of the delivery date in the article. Perhaps there is greater detail at Neiman Marcus but haven't checked. This is noteworthy that this vehicle was picked by Neiman for this as it is some indication of a "special" car that is coming that is not yet available. I believe last year or the year before it was the BMW 6 series coupe at about $75K.
  • zoranzoran Posts: 68
    I found out that the GS450h will have 390hp!! I was told this by a lexus salesman. Any updates or information about this.
  • Never totally trust salesmen.... But since we don't have any proof whether the GS will have that much power, I can't really tell you if that's true or not. But I'd expect more like 330hp, because the 3.5 V6 makes 270hp already, and coupled to electric motors (60hp) that could make a nice 330. But I guess we'll have to wait until Lexus releases the car to tell the number of HP more accurately.
    As I have mentioned above I am #1 at my Lexus dealer for the purchase of a GS450h. Horsepower measurements are not of much interest or use to me. With my current RX400h the midrange acceleration is so immediate and smooth that, as I've already stated in a post, I will only buy cars with hybrid synergy drives like those on Lexuses in the future. The description of the GS450h powerplant from the press release for the Tokyo Motor Show that I previously posted, indicates that it will be more advanced.
  • Since it looks like a mid-gen 2008 facelift should yield a 27-280HP 350, and a 350-375HP 460, a Hybrid would fit quite nicely in between at 320-330HP.

But if it were to cost more than the V8, then a lofty power number would be more appropriate, as Lexus seems to be putting out there that Lexus Hybrids will be more about performance ability than economy.

Lexus can do no wrong here.

DrFill
    The fuel efficiency on my Lexus RX400h is about 40% better the the Audi Allroad 2.7T that I traded. To me the midrange acceleration, the low center of gravity yielding faster flatter cornering, the quiet making listening to music much more pleasurable are some of the reasons I admire the Toyota/Lexus hybrids. I've been told by an LS owner that it has a manual cruising switch for use over 40mph. It seems that this will be automated in the GS450h powerplant. BMW which I regard as tops in ICE powerplants is struggling to cope with the inexorable Toyota/Lexus powerplant advances. Two examples: BMW exhibited at the last Frankfurt auto show exhibited a car with capacitors in the front wheel housing for capturing braking energy. The problem I see is that capacitors are nowhere as reliable as batteries, and so unlikely to see production soon if at all. A more recent item from BMW was about recapturing heat from the engine and exhaust. They claimed 15% improvement in mpg. From the description it's an expensive add-on. The press release states that it's ten years from production. So yet more of what is termed "vaporware".
  • Correction:

350: 306 hp(As with the IS)
    460: 360 - 370 hp
    450h: 390 hp (This is correct.)

I'm a little unsure of the 460's output, but as far as the others, they aren't subject to change.
  • I hope you are right. What are your sources regarding the HP numbers?
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    I can't blame you for trading your Audi allroad. I owned a 2002 model and it had the worst tires you can imagine. Whenever it rained it felt like I was ice skating on the highway. It always had a lag when initially accelerating (very annoying). It also needed brakes and rotors at 10,000 miles. VW/Audi really needs to improve the reliability of their cars. With Lexus, the ownership experience is so much more pleasurable. Fantastic choice and good luck!!
    Thanks. I had 5 Lexuses before getting 2 Audis and now returned to Lexus. And before the Lexuses, 2 Toyotas. By the way, when I ordered my Lexus hybrid last June, I checked the TM stock price. I thought it was a bargain. The stock is up 38% since I bought. Another by the way, today's Financial Times has a story on the new EU diesel emission standards and the several hundred extra euros needed to be added to the price to meet them.
    That's very interesting. The pro diesel groups think that once ULSD becomes available nationwide there will be a flood of oil burners coming on the market. My dollar is on the hybrid technology. The GS looks fantastic on paper. If you were really eager, you could have been one of the first to get an exclusive copy from Neiman Marcus. I have a feeling they sold out. Good luck!!!
    According to the Financial Times article, the European auto manufacturers are protesting vehemently. It's not diesel versus hybrid. A diesel hybrid certainly makes sense especially if the diesel ran at a fixed rpm which would yield the best fuel economy.
    I wouldn't buy a car that I couldn't test drive first, so that ruled out N-M. An order at a dealer is always subject to refusing delivery. I will be in Japan next month and I hope to see the car in a Lexus dealer showroom.
    I can appreciate your situation. Many people are in the same boat with the Prius. Some folks have actually gone out and rented a Prius for a weekend to see if they really like the car. A ten minute test drive is never adequate for any vehicle.
  • I am very interested in the new 450h. I have a few questions. 1. any idea the cost? 2. When are they expected to be available?
    There's no fixed date. From information on the web the GS450h will be availabe in March in Australia. I expect it to be May in the USA more or less. I'm taking my RX400h in for its 5000 mile maintenace next week. I will certainly try to get information from the dealer at that time. I expect a price of 55K to 60K but because I prognosticate phenomenal demand, the high residual value will make leases very reasonable.
  • idele - Did you gather any more information from your dealer last week?
    A sales manager said nothing new except that the number 2, 3 and 4 slots were now filled.
    I stopped at the Lexus dealer and asked again about the arrival of the GS450h. March is more certain now. Also the waiting list has increased to 5. The dealers have been told the first vehicles will be in the colors white,silver, black. I'll be in Japan next week and will check out a Lexus dealer there.
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060116/SUB/60113046/1023

In unveiling its redesigned LS 460 flagship at the Detroit auto show, Lexus said the sedan will have the world's first eight-speed automatic transmission. The previous benchmark was the Mercedes-Benz S class' seven-speed transmission.

The 4.6-liter V-8 is an all-new design, with both port and direct fuel injection, that generates 380 hp and 370 pounds-feet of torque. That delivers a 0-to-60 time under 5.5 seconds, while combined fuel economy is about 25 mpg.

A hybrid version will deliver the equivalent power of a 6.0-liter V-12 while consuming the fuel of a V-6.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,896
    A hybrid version will deliver the equivalent power of a 6.0-liter V-12 while consuming the fuel of a V-6.

Is that supposed to be a good thing? My wife's 1990 LS400 gets consistent 27 MPG cruising at 75 MPH. It is a 4.0 V8 with more than enough acceleration. It also just passed it's smog test with flying colors. You may like the direction that hybrids are going. They don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    It's a good thing for the people who will drop $65K on this car. Which will be a very limited group. If they've got the cash, more power to them.

And by the way: V12 power with the fuel efficiency of a V6 has been an automotive design goal for decades. Way before Hybrids.
  • Hmmm, about the expected hp of the GS450h, Lexus quoted that the combined horsepower would be 'well in excess of 300'. Now the LS460 is rated at 380hp... by those numbers i'd guess the GS450h would be in the 340-360 hp region, no?
  • If your 380HP V8 is getting 25 MPG, how do you top that?

Not a whole lot of V6s can get 25MPG combined. That is the high end of V6 economy.

Same with the LS400hL. What could be next?

DrFill
  • To the best of my knowledge the GS450h is becoming available in the US between April 2006 and June 2006. Here
    are some details.

0 to 60 = 5.3 seconds (all round quicker than GS430)
    Top = Limited to 155
    Price = $57K basic.
    Engine = V6 3.5 liter
    Packages = $6K to $10.8K
    Digitally Mapped = Yes
    Bui;t in = Tahara
  • GS450h with 390 HP - These Salesmen know nothing.

You will get 280 hp form the gas engine and around 60 from the electric motor - topping out at around 340 hp.

This GS450h is known as the "balanced car" balanced between the LS600h and the GS300.

It will cost around $57K (base price). Loaded around $68 K.