Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 450h

frenchornefrenchorne Posts: 31
The hybrid story continues with the 2007 Lexus GS 450h. It was introduced today at the NY Auto Show. Some interesting numbers are include in the press release ...

http://www.lexus.com/about/press_releases/popups/2005/pr_03_23_b.html

Comments

• yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    GS450h will have 3.5 liter V6 engine giving the power of GS430 which has 4.3 liter V8 engine.

So Toyota is going in Economy route. After all 300 hp (with 0-60 in <6 seconds) is more than enough. If this can suceed, then it will bring an end to V8 engine in many household vehicles especially sedans.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    In RX400h, 2 motors are driving the wheels and it gives around 260 hp while in GS450h, only 1 motor is driving the wheels (Rear) giving 300+ hp. That means motor has been improved further.

Looks like Toyota is moving from Engine to Motor.
  • The car does not signify the end of V-8s. The GS 460 is coming too. The 450 just shows you can have the best of both worlds.
  • trialgamestrialgames Posts: 1
    Does anyone have an idea or info on the pricing for the GS hybrid? I'm trying to be patient and hold off on the 06 GS430.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    I was hoping for AWD. I think their fas engine counterpart may have this feature soon. Would be a nice package if there was an option for AWD in their hybrid version.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    "In RX400h, 2 motors are driving the wheels and it gives around 260 hp while in GS450h, only 1 motor is driving the wheels (Rear) giving 300+ hp. That means motor has been improved further."

You're not telling the whole story there. Remember, the RX400h does not use the GS450h's 3.5L V6. It uses the old Camry derived 3.3L, modified to be more fuel efficient, and making just 208hp on its own. The electrics add a maximum of 60hp. The version of Toyota's all new 3.5L V6 that we've seen thus far makes 280hp in the Avalon. Assuming Toyota chops out 20hp or so for fuel efficiency, that same 60hp electric motor will take it to 320.

falconone, I agree that Lexus has missed an opportunity to make the GS450h AWD, since that would be something Infiniti cant match. Having the GS450h and GS460 both be RWD seems kind of redundant.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    "falconone, I agree that Lexus has missed an opportunity to make the GS450h AWD, since that would be something Infiniti cant match."

How is INfiniti going to match the GS450h any which way?? Infiniti has no hybrid plans for the M35/45 that I know of.

"Having the GS450h and GS460 both be RWD seems kind of redundant. "

First of all, we don't know what the horsepower will be of the GS450h. It could be around 350, since in the IS350, the same 3.5L will produce over 300bhp according to Lexus. Also, just because the current GS430 doesn't have AWD doesn't mean the V8 version of all future GS's will be RWD only.
    I didnt mean that the M was going to get hybrid power. What I meant was, from what I've read Infiniti says either that there's just not enough demand for an M45x, or the platform literally cant support it because of engine bay space. Most of the cars in the segment offer a V6 and AWD, but the A6 4.2 Quattro is pretty much the only 8 that has it. A GS450h with AWD would allow Lexus to compete with that car, something Infiniti and Acura cant do. It would also provide something more than fuel economy to differentiate itself from the 460.

The information so far says the 450h will be RWD, have 300+ hp, and go from 0-60 in under six seconds. The 460 will most likely be RWD, have 300+ hp, and go from 0-60 in under six seconds. Why are both of these cars necessary?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    I don't see the point of the GS450h and GS460 either. It seems like the 2 will have similar power and similar price points. At this point it seems like the GS450h will merely cannibalize sales of the GS V8.
  • gmershongmershon Posts: 1
    I ordered a GS 450h on May 1st. The dealer guessed that the price will be about $4000. higher than the GS 400. Ordering early seems to be a good idea based on the success of other hybrid models.
    George
    Interesting. Did the dealer give you any idea of how many other people were interested in the 450h? I think its going to be popular, but I doubt that its going to have the kind of demand that the RX400h does. The GS450h is much more of a niche product.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    I would think if they offered the GS hybrid in AWD it would be a much more popular vehicle than the RX400h. It would be faster, better handling, safer and probably better mileage. Plus it looks a whole lot nicer. The popularity of the the RX300 series completely baffles me.
    Have no idea why it baffles you Gary. People know a good car when they see it. I actually owned a 99RX and it was one of my favorite vehicles. Now they're too ubiquitous, but it's no wonder it is the best selling Lexus. Certainly deservedly so. I also wish the GS would have an AWD option in their hybrid version. Maybe...
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    I guess I am a Lexus traditionalist. I liked the early LS400 and think the SC300/400 is the best looking cars Lexus ever built. To me the RX are gaudy and not at all Lexus like. Just opinion and you know what they say about those. I do think the newer GS are nice. My tax man traded his ES300 for an RX330 and was not that thrilled. His wife wanted a nice place for the dog in back on long trips. He has gotten used to it. To me an SUV is for utility and that is it. I would never buy another Suburban. When I sell this one I will buy an old 3/4 ton truck for my hauling needs. I doubt I would ever buy another SUV. With all the AWD cars and wagons they seem useless, unless you have 4 or more children.
    For its mission, the RX is a truly great car. Its not a "driver's car" in the slightest, nor is it a mud-slogger. Its for people who want the high driving position and all-weather security of an SUV with the luxury of an ES sedan. My wife loves her '01 RX. It seems to be a much bigger hit with women than men. If it were me, I would've gone with an FX45, but then again I wouldnt want an SUV for myself.

The GS will never outsell the RX though.
    Agreed... very not Lexus like which is maybe why it has such mass appeal. The initial design took me a while to get used to. An alternative would be the very handsome Dodge variant of the Chrysler 300. Their wagon thingy... not sure what the name is. Very, very sharp.
    The Magnum.. which isnt really RX330 competition. The RX competes with the MDX, FX35\45, ML, X5, XC90, Toureg, B9 Tribeca, and SRX. The next Lincoln Aviator will also join this group. Way to strike while the iron is hot Lincoln!
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Posts: 729
    By the time Lincoln can produce a vehicle that isn't a direct knock-off, the SUV market will be all Hybrid (for 1st-rate manufacturers) or diesel.

The next car-based Aviator won't be here until late-2007 (at the earliest). Yawn!

DrFill
    Ooo but it will have a 3.5L V6 with as much as 250hp! 3.5L! Wow! Oh wait, everybody has that now. You were correct. Yawn.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Consider buying a hybrid? Reconsider after you learned about the long wait? Whether or not you chose to add your name to the waiting list, a reporter is hoping to hear your perspective. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by May 27, 2005.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com