Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Commander

Comments

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Justin, believe me, I am very concerned about the problems that will come with the Land Rover or the Jeep. My 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited had to have the drivetrain replaced, not once, but twice and the air never was strong enough. Both the '96 and '99 Jeeps had to be towed during ownership. So far, my Mercedes has never left me stranded and has started perfectly every time.

My brother has a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II with about 38,000 miles and has had not one problem but a nail in the tire (twice). He loves it.

Sometimes, these forums tend to attract people who tell horror stories and sometimes it's hard to tell if they are totally true or not.

Also, I will not buy the Commander or the Land Rover without a nice discount.

Mark (a kid at 47) ;)
    Dear Take.....

I think it is funny when people say they "Smoked" another SUV...and the point? They are SUV's, not race cars. A friend of mine bought a new RR Phantom with a V12 engine, I don't think he will be using it to smoke anybody although he probably could.

I am still in the comparison stage of the Commander and LR3... also the Volvo XC90. All of these vehicles are competitive in their own way.

But, when you say that the ergonomics are ridiculous for the LR3, I don't quite see it that way. The window switches are in the top ledge of the driver's door, that doesn't seem like a problem to me. I have not driven the vehicle yet and will after Thanksgiving.

Also, the LR3 completely loaded was $55,000 and the Commander is $44,000, that is not "wildly" overpriced. The LR3 is larger and has better thought out interior and use of space. The discount would narrow that margin because I would think that the discount might be larger on the LR3. The wood for the dash is an option and looks nice from the picture that I saw in the brochure.

And please, don't compare a Ford to anything. :sick:

If I buy the Commander, I know I will enjoy it but I'm just trying to compare all of the SUV's in that class.

Just my dollars worth of an opinion (.02 adjusted for inflation)... Mark :)
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Be careful about using the word "smoked". I got pinched by HOST earlier today when replying to your post. The Range Rover Sport is a waste of time. What they callit is the Cayenne fighter or the Bimmer AMG challenger. It doesn't even compare to none of them. The Benz,Bimmer,Porsche and even my Commander will out pace it, and yes that is in Supercharged mode. With regular 4.4L motor, it takes 8.9 seconds to get to 60, way to slow.

I do agree that the LR3 is hugely overpriced for what you get. Adjustable air-suspension? Big deal. High seat postion? Wasn't that much higher than my Commander. Off-Road? I'll be fair and say they'll each break each others axles, it's just that Commander gets done much simpler and with much less aggrivation, much the same on-road.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on a "nice" discount on a V-8 LR3. Just today I was talking to a guy who works for Land Rover North America and he says that you could get about $3-4k off of a V-6 but expect to pay about $1K over invoice on a V-8, especially fully loaded HSE models. I wanted to get a second opinion, so I drove to a local Land Rover dealer and the best deal that was being offered was $500 above invoice.

At last check(2-weeks ago), Buerge Jeep in SoCal had a Commander on the lot that listed for $45K(dealer added Satellite TV, a useful tool, I got it on mine from DC) They were willing to let it go for about $36.5k after DC and dealer discounts. So if you're only going to buy if you get a sizeable discount, then Commander is your choice.

As for the Volvo, just 2 days ago(Friday), Volvo issued another recall for it's V-8 models because of ECM and powertrain failures. This comes after the brake failure recall about 2 weeks ago. You sure you wanna go this route?

You're a big Merc fan. You mentioned that you don't understand why SUV's would be "smoking" each other. Then why has Merc in the past built ML55 AMG's? And now in the first quater of next year they'll be rolling out the new ML6.3's that are supposed to give the Cayenne Turbo S a run for the money. Jeep is jumping on the wagon with its soon to be released SRT-8 JGC that will run neck and neck with the ML.

This is a huge market now. Every manufacture has to get on board or get left in the dust.

Just 10-years ago, everyone thought Ford was crazy for inventing the Lightnin'. Now Dodge owns that segment in pick-ups. There will always be a performance niche in the American car market.
    Blkhemi..(Justin), I won't be paying over MSRP or even near it for a Land Rover for my next vehicle... so, count me in on the Commander!!!!

I'm not "into" racing my SUV so I wouldn't buy the Mercedes AMG's or any other brand that is high performance for the purpose of racing. It's fine if you or "take" likes them, it's not what I am looking for. The only reason I considered the 5.7 HEMI was that it got the same gas mileage as the 4.7. So, I thought why not get the bigger engine of the same gas mileage?

I like reading everyone's experience, so keep writing!

Mark
  • Thank's for the head's up. I woke up this morning to an email to find out about my message getting the "pinch". My appologies. Perhaps, that just a little too much enthusiasm. In fairness, New York driving requires a level of "confidence" to merge... quickly. I appoligize for any other unintentional reference.

Speaking of enthusiasm, in the end that's what its all about. Passion. Otherwise we would all be driving a Prius.

Buy what you like. But test them all. The Volvo could be a good choice. The MDX would probably be worth a look too.
    I would recommend to test drive everything you can get your hands on. I would even recommend you drive the ML. By driving all vehicles across a class (even gasp... "crossovers") you can truly appreciate all the features offered at all levels.

In the end the Commander was my choice. I felt it offered the most useful options, performance and power (at most price ranges) and is unwavering and unapologetic. It offered confidence and wasn't quirky. It may not be for everyone. And that's OK.
    I live in both SoCal and in Long Island(Oyster Bay), so I know what "confidence" it takes to merge on the L.I.E. or the F.D.R. or the B.Q.E. You do need the HEMI to get the job done.

NO apologies needed for the term you used. We New Yorkers get very excited when expressing ourselves. I know what you meant when you said sm****.

All in all , the Commander is just fine by me.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    about power and off road capability, then the comander may be for you.
    if you care about anyone in the 2nd or 3rd row, forget it, unless they are all under 5 feet max. even my kid said just get the gjc if you want to seat 5 normal sized people. i guess that not yet finished high school education is paying off. lr3, not much better (3rd row). '06 explorer off my list too (3rd row). :surprise:
    Explorerx4, I noticed how tight the Jeep Commanders second and third row. My Mercedes ML500 is very roomy in the 2nd and 3rd row compared to the Commander.

I'm almost thinking of waiting for the 2007 Cadillac Escalade that will come out in March. The look of the interior is very nice looking and completely changed. This is a "slight" consideration. I figure if I'm looking at a vehicle with 14 city MPG... that the full size SUV is right there with the Jeep, Volvo and Land Rover.

Mark :)
    most owners and auto journalist who tested the Explorer and ML found the 3rd row seat "insufficient" for adults, right along with the Commander.I've sat in all and no way was this 6'3 frame "comfortable" back there, especially the rock hard bench in the Explorer and the leather-look but vinyl-covered Merc. Only full size SUV's and most minivans can "comfortably" haul adults in the 3rd row.

I'll give credit where credit is due. The LR3 comes very close to duplicating the room of full size models, give or take a couple of inches. But the Dodge Durango bests ALL midsizers(wonder why they call the Durango "mid-size"?) and even some full-size, the Sequoia/Land Cruiser and Armada/QX 56. So if the sole purpose of buying any of these vehicles is for 3rd seat room, then yes I'd cross shop the full size models.

GM has promised that not only will the Escalade beat all domestic makes in interior fit/finish and quality, but Infiniti, Land Rover,Merc, and Toyota/Lexus will fall behind in build quality, powertrain, and interior materials. It all remains to be seen. The interior is of very good quality and the 400hp 6.2L V-8 with 6-speed automatic is sure to leave a print.
    Justin, you are wrong about the ML... the third row is comfortable for a full size adult... I've had mine for almost four years and adults are just about the only people that have sat back there (accept my young nephews/nieces on occasion). The second row will slide forward for additional leg room for the third row. The ML has a foot well where the Commander does not. Of course, that doesn't mean beans since the new ML doesn't offer a third row anymore.

I rented a Dodge Durango this summer to take my nieces and nephews to Six Flags at St. Louis. I didn't need the third row and let me tell you, it's not for adults. My ML has a much better third seat offering. The DVD entertainment was nice in the Durango.. didn't expect that.
    The Durango needs rear bumper sensor indicators badly.

Mark
  • Has anyone seen the Jeep commercial offering 2 yrs. maintenance and gas plus a 100,000 mile warranty on the Commander? When I mentioned the $1500 cash off, the dealer acted like he didn't know about it - wanted to know where I got that info. I'll be purchasing soon and I want to have all my 'ducks in a row' before I buy. Everything in writing. The dealership here in Jacksonville,FL does not seen to be giving the same deals I have been reading about in this forum. Maybe I should wait another couple of weeks.
  • RE: The $1500, Jeep itself is giving this.... see website

Jeep Web Site for incentives
    That $1500 rebate is good until the end-of-the-year. That along with the scheduled maintanence and free gas for 2 years.

Moreover, I wouldn't buy any SUV-especially domestic, without a sizeable discount. This is the last of the year and I've heard of three different Commander buyer's in three different sections of the country(one down your- South FLA.) and they've gotten some serious deals. So shop around.

FYI, that rebate is posted on Jeeps website.
  • The new Chrysler Freedom Plan. This may be offered in leiu of a deal but should be a great negotiating tool. Let us know how it goes...

http://www.jeep.com/freedom/
    The Merc's 3rd seat has 37.7" of rear legroom(despite the foot well) and 38.4 inches of headroom.

The LR3's 3rd-seat has 39.6" of rear legroom and 40.2" of inches of headroom(despite the elevated roof)

The Durango's 3rd-seat has 41.6" of rear legroom and 40.7" of headroom.

So, no, I wasn't wrong or mistaken about the ML. The Durango Limited I looked at before I bought my Commander was exceptionally roomy. Didn't have a problem getting back there, no squeezing or grunting, or contortionist acts needed, unlike some of the others. I would've bought it but couldn't warm up to the looks.

This is what just one of the automotive mags said about the 2004 ML500 2nd and 3rd-row seats:

"Tall supportive cushion. Leg and foot room goes from good to tight as front seats slide rearward. OK access via low sills and adequately wide doors, Available 3rd-row seat strictly for tykes, and even they might feel squeezed getting into or out of its tight confines."
    CR-March 2004

I happen to agree with them. Maybe yours was one of the few that are easy to access, but the ML500 my wife had in '02 was extremely tight back there, hence we had to get rid of it.

P.S.- Don't get your Undies in a bunch. The Commander's review was worst than that.
    Justin, I stand corrected (looking for a new pair of undies). :P I didn't get in the third row of the Durango but the seat looked tiny and was a "one piece" seat.

I'm surprised that you thought the ML seat was "extremely tight", it's not like a Yukon XL for sure, but considering the size of the ML, two adults do fine back there.

The tightness of the third row of the Commander does have me concerned because when I do need it, I want my passengers to be comfortable.

Mark :)
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 837
    If you're looking at 6-7 passenger SUV's don't forget to consider the Envoy XL types. The 3rd row seat will handle 2 - 6'1 adults. I would not want to ride 500 miles back there, but it is confortable enough for a couple of hours. We have the I6, 2WD...don't off-road. I would imagine the upper-end (was the SLT trim in 2004) model with V8 and 4wd would be competive with the Commander pricing. Personally I would spend $1200-$1500 and get extended factory warranty (5y/90-100K mile) on either of them.

Just my opinion :-).
  • Just saw a commercial where a dealership here is offering employee pricing on all vehicles - including the Commander. Ballpark, what can I expect this amount to be?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    don't let the stats fool you. i had my kids try out all the 3rd rows. only 1 was better, the navigator. kids wanted the escalade, until i had them try out the 3rd row.
    i do love those front row caddy seats, though.
    in the commander, 2nd and 3rd rows were cramped for my kid, who is about 5'7". lr3 was a bit better in 3rd row, no complaints from 3nd row.
    don't me wrong, the jeep has great mechanicals, it just isn't passenger friendly.