Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Commander

Comments

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Justin, you are wrong about the ML... the third row is comfortable for a full size adult... I've had mine for almost four years and adults are just about the only people that have sat back there (accept my young nephews/nieces on occasion). The second row will slide forward for additional leg room for the third row. The ML has a foot well where the Commander does not. Of course, that doesn't mean beans since the new ML doesn't offer a third row anymore.

I rented a Dodge Durango this summer to take my nieces and nephews to Six Flags at St. Louis. I didn't need the third row and let me tell you, it's not for adults. My ML has a much better third seat offering. The DVD entertainment was nice in the Durango.. didn't expect that.
    The Durango needs rear bumper sensor indicators badly.

Mark
  • Has anyone seen the Jeep commercial offering 2 yrs. maintenance and gas plus a 100,000 mile warranty on the Commander? When I mentioned the $1500 cash off, the dealer acted like he didn't know about it - wanted to know where I got that info. I'll be purchasing soon and I want to have all my 'ducks in a row' before I buy. Everything in writing. The dealership here in Jacksonville,FL does not seen to be giving the same deals I have been reading about in this forum. Maybe I should wait another couple of weeks.
  • RE: The $1500, Jeep itself is giving this.... see website

Jeep Web Site for incentives
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    That $1500 rebate is good until the end-of-the-year. That along with the scheduled maintanence and free gas for 2 years.

Moreover, I wouldn't buy any SUV-especially domestic, without a sizeable discount. This is the last of the year and I've heard of three different Commander buyer's in three different sections of the country(one down your- South FLA.) and they've gotten some serious deals. So shop around.

FYI, that rebate is posted on Jeeps website.
  • The new Chrysler Freedom Plan. This may be offered in leiu of a deal but should be a great negotiating tool. Let us know how it goes...

http://www.jeep.com/freedom/
    The Merc's 3rd seat has 37.7" of rear legroom(despite the foot well) and 38.4 inches of headroom.

The LR3's 3rd-seat has 39.6" of rear legroom and 40.2" of inches of headroom(despite the elevated roof)

The Durango's 3rd-seat has 41.6" of rear legroom and 40.7" of headroom.

So, no, I wasn't wrong or mistaken about the ML. The Durango Limited I looked at before I bought my Commander was exceptionally roomy. Didn't have a problem getting back there, no squeezing or grunting, or contortionist acts needed, unlike some of the others. I would've bought it but couldn't warm up to the looks.

This is what just one of the automotive mags said about the 2004 ML500 2nd and 3rd-row seats:

"Tall supportive cushion. Leg and foot room goes from good to tight as front seats slide rearward. OK access via low sills and adequately wide doors, Available 3rd-row seat strictly for tykes, and even they might feel squeezed getting into or out of its tight confines."
    CR-March 2004

I happen to agree with them. Maybe yours was one of the few that are easy to access, but the ML500 my wife had in '02 was extremely tight back there, hence we had to get rid of it.

P.S.- Don't get your Undies in a bunch. The Commander's review was worst than that.
    Justin, I stand corrected (looking for a new pair of undies). :P I didn't get in the third row of the Durango but the seat looked tiny and was a "one piece" seat.

I'm surprised that you thought the ML seat was "extremely tight", it's not like a Yukon XL for sure, but considering the size of the ML, two adults do fine back there.

The tightness of the third row of the Commander does have me concerned because when I do need it, I want my passengers to be comfortable.

Mark :)
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 838
    If you're looking at 6-7 passenger SUV's don't forget to consider the Envoy XL types. The 3rd row seat will handle 2 - 6'1 adults. I would not want to ride 500 miles back there, but it is confortable enough for a couple of hours. We have the I6, 2WD...don't off-road. I would imagine the upper-end (was the SLT trim in 2004) model with V8 and 4wd would be competive with the Commander pricing. Personally I would spend $1200-$1500 and get extended factory warranty (5y/90-100K mile) on either of them.

Just my opinion :-).
  • Just saw a commercial where a dealership here is offering employee pricing on all vehicles - including the Commander. Ballpark, what can I expect this amount to be?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,722
    don't let the stats fool you. i had my kids try out all the 3rd rows. only 1 was better, the navigator. kids wanted the escalade, until i had them try out the 3rd row.
    i do love those front row caddy seats, though.
    in the commander, 2nd and 3rd rows were cramped for my kid, who is about 5'7". lr3 was a bit better in 3rd row, no complaints from 3nd row.
    don't me wrong, the jeep has great mechanicals, it just isn't passenger friendly.
    Depends on what model you're getting.
    Here's an example:

A fully loaded Commander Limited 5.7L HEMI 4X4 is roughly $44K. With employee pricing, it should come in at about $40K. However, even then I wouldn't purchase it for that price. Try to get somewhere around $36-$38K before making the plunge.
  • Here's a little more detail on real 'employee' pricing these days at DCX, based on my recent purchase experience. Note that I am not an employee nor am I a relative of the guy who got me my employee discount number. Blkhemi's example sounds right-on.

If you have a friend/relative who will get you a control number, you can get true employee pricing, PLUS whatever incentives are out there currently. With number in hand, your salesperson can simply print out an invoice and find the employe price listed at the bottom for the particular vehicle. I'm sure there's plenty of smoke/mirror action even at that level, so anyone who can shed more light on how this works I'd appreciate it.

Be aware that employees have access to two kinds of numbers. One is a 'friends' sort of number that only gets you about 1% below invoice. The good number is the 'Employee Choice' number and gets you 4-5% below invoice. The retiree who helped me said he only gets two EC numbers each year.

Again, both are in addition to whatever incentives are out there for the general public, so I'm assuming you'd also get the currently-offered debit card for around 2400 for gas, etc. (Of course, you could go buy a TV with it instead...)

In my case, my Commander's MSRP + 6% MI tax was just over $36K, and with the good-guy EC number and the then-offered $1500 incentive (that ended 10/30/05) I got the truck for just over $30K OTD, a deal I was happy with. Of course, with the discount based on the MSRP, the higher the MSRP the higher the discount.

Even if you don't have the EC number, it may help to calculate out what an employee would pay and see how close you could get to that number. I see truckful after truckful of Commanders and JGCs leaving Detroit as I drive downtown to work each day, so I think they must be motivated to get some out there on the streets for people to see and want...

Craig
    Dearborn, MI
  • kausekause Posts: 1
    Wow thats a good deal any idea how I could get a hold of one of those extra EC numbers. I have been researching a purchase and I thought I was doing good with the "friends" prefered pricing but with EC is the way to go. I just read too on the employees website that the deadline has been extended till the end of the year and that it extends to family and friends.
    DC also rolled out an additional $1000 November Cash today.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    my local dealer to pick up a Commander brochure, with the intent of driving one after T-day...reading the catalog, I see 3 types of drive trains, Quadra-Trac I, Quadra Drive I and II...reading the catalog descriptions, they are all basically AWD, with some having the choice of a low range...I remember my Dad's CJ5 (yes, I know this is not a CJ5) with a 4WD chassis, but it ran in 2WD until you wanted to engage the 4WD, and then you had the choice of hi or lo range...later, my friend's GM Blazer had a "4WD switch on the fly", meaning you could just engage 4WD with a dashboard switch, rather than jumping out and engaging the Warn hubs...

I want a vehicle with 4WD on the fly, but designed to ride normally in 2WD...I just do not want an AWD vehicle, and the Commander and JGC only offer AWD with their Quadra-whatevers...

Can anybody list for me some of the SUVs that have the type of 4WD I want???...this is frustrating...even the Mountaineer has AWD, not 2/4WD...what gives???...if I wanted AWD I would get an Audi A6... :confuse: :cry: :confuse:
    Bob.... just an opinion.... but, I like AWD because you just might be driving on a cold winter night and before you know it you might be driving on solid ice that you didn't expect to be there (maybe a water main broke?). AWD will make you feel totally in control.

A long time ago... this was hilarious.... my twin brother and I (age 17 at the time) were driving a hand-me-down 1966 Mercury Comet, 2dr, automatic, on an icy night home from work (restaurant). As we drove over some railroad tracks near our house, the Mercury bounced over the tracks making a complete 360 degree turn and then straighten itself out and we proceeded forward.... at first, I'm sure we had expressions on our faces like "deer in headlights", :surprise: we then burst out laughing because we couldn't believe we didn't run off the two lane icy road.

I LIKE AWD!

Mark
    Thanks for the opinion...somehow, I find myself in a quandary...I cannot argue with your reasons for AWD, as they are valid, esp for the reasons you gave...yet, I find myself still wanting what I described...

Howeve, your post has given me pause (not paws, as in a dog or cat, but pause, as in a reason to reconsider my logic)...in fact, I am beginning to appreciate your post the more I think about it...

You may change my mind...I just assumed that vehicle in constant AWD will use more gas as you are driving more wheels, and I also wonder if you can still drive 70 or 80 on the freeway with an AWD vehicle...

But, the possibility of ice does exist here in GA, esp in Jan or Feb, where the temps do go below freezing, and sometimes below zero...

Again, thanks for that thoughtful post...my steadfastness for my type of 4WD is wavering... :surprise: :surprise:
    Bob, also, AWD is good for when it is raining on wet oil covered Georgia roads.... if you run into heavy surface water, AWD will help with hydro-planing.

Mark :) Just my dollars worth (.02 adjusted for inflation)

PS. My AWD Mercdes ML500 has no problem going well over 100 and, yes, AWD probably does use a couple of drops of gas more but it's well worth it to me.
    articles on economics, and, nowhere does it state that the dollar has depreciated 98% since 1971, when we went off the gold standard...I believe 65% is more like it...so, you do not have to offer your dollar's worth, but a little over a half a buck would be reasonable... ;) :shades:

Thanks again...I just hate it when I enter a topic with well-formed, highly-thought-out opinions that are solid as a rock, and then are blown away by someone else's thoughts...how will I ever impress everyone that I know everything when this happens to me...I thought I was immortal...oh, wait...it was Apollo who was immortal in Star Trek, not me... ;) ;) ;)

P.S. Mark, don't you have anything better to do than sit up this late and post on an Internet forum?..:):):)
    Bob, I'm in a hotel room with the fastest internet connection.... I use dial-up at home and this is amazing.

Getting together with a bunch of friends for a good Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. I'm just being lazy tonight reading here on Edmunds and watching TV... I'm on Pacific time so it's not too late.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Mark
    I hope you have a good T-day, along with the rest of Edmunds posters...

But, assuming you have convinced me of the advantage of the AWD, I now need help...a Commander, if I was to get one (or a JGC for that matter) with V8 can come with either Quadra Trac II or Quadra Drive II, with Quadra Drive II being the "higher option"...I read the descriptions of both, but still do not understand the difference between them... :confuse: :confuse:

Can anyone explain the difference between them to me???

Thanks.

Bob
    Bob, I'm going to take a stab at what I think the differences that are between the Quadra track II vs. Quadra drive II.

After reading the explanations on the Jeep website, both systems are AWD. Quadra Track II has the ability to transfer power from side to side. In other words, you will have traction on at least two wheels at all times during slippery situations.

With Quadra drive II, the system has the ability to send power to just one wheel (the wheel that has traction).

That's the way I understand it. Maybe someone else will chime in to give their opinion.

Mark :shades:
    If you are correct, I wish I had your abilities at English comprehension... :D :shades: ...reading the catalog, I just could not figure out what you have so eloquently explained...power to one wheel, or power to one side...

(You know there had to be a followup)...now, do they both have hi and lo range, or only one of them???

Lastly, and now I am getting nitpicky (no, I am ALWAYS nitpicky)...is Quadra Drive II, which transfers power to just one wheel, a reliable system, or do its electronics and its complexity make it just "one more thing to break"...in other words, is it worth having, or more headache than Q-Trac II, because of the electronics???...this may be the same system on the JGC, so I am sure folks have had experience with it...
    Bob, to answer your first question, it appears that they both have low range for the Quadra Track II and Quadra Drive II. The Quadra Track I with the 3.7 engine does not have low range from what I read on the website.

I had a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with Quadra Drive. I think this was the first year for Quadra Drive and I had the same concerns as you. I didn't want a new system without the bugs being worked out. At the time, I was looking for a certain color combination (grey metallic/agate leather) and this unit had everything including Quadra Drive vs. Quadra Track , so I went for it.

The system on the '99 had low range and was AWD at all times. Quadra Drive would send power to the wheel/wheels that had traction. In the early years, ESP, LMNOP ??? LOL! ...were not in the Jeep line that year.

The Quadra Drive worked great but the drive train had to be replaced twice. The rear axle mechanism would bind up which made it vibrate severely when in reverse. Everything was repaired under warranty but I still could hear a slight whine at highway speeds (not really a problem).

I would hope to think that after 6 years of using this system that Jeep has perfected Quarda Drive and it's suppliers to have a 4x4 system that works flawlessly (lets hope). Maybe that's why they call it "Quadra Drive II". Hopefully, the "II" means something!

Mark :D
    Again, thanks...since we are sitting here on T-day, I believe we need to get a life!!!

Actually, I am killing time until early afternoon, when we have been invited to my brother's home in Marietta, GA for turkey...

I believe you said you were currently on the west coast, so it is only 8:45 where you are...

My SUV thoughts seem to be narrowed to Commander, Grand Cherokee, Explorer/Mnteer, and upcoming 2007 Santa Fe...I want to do this right, since if I buy one, I do not want another car for 250K miles, or about 10 years worth of driving...my wife has her 04 Ram 1500 Hemi, and, at 10K miles yearly, I am expecting it to last a decade...I want the same for me, if possible...oh, did I remember to say that I want my SUV to get 25 city/35 highway???..:):):)

I will now sign off until later...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,722
    the local word from hemi ram owners in ct is 9 mpg.
    maybe the commander is twice as good.
    i have exceeded the epa highway mileage in every vehicle i have owned. i do have to make an exception. my old mustang is listed at 26 on the highway, but the best i have done is a bit under 25.
    i guess the gadget discussion is over since no new ones have been posted. too bad, i have a bunch more. ;)
  • read this in a review today re the 3rd row seat...

"...Because the Commander is built with the same distance between the axles as the Grand Cherokee, and is a scant two inches longer over all, the truck's solid rear axle intrudes on passenger space in the way-back.

Even with the third-row seat set so high, the Commander has less legroom than a kindergarten desk. Children's friends can pile into the back for a trip to the mall, but forget any notions of third-row cross-country treks. The ride over dips and potholes is bouncy even in the driver's seat; in the back, it feels like a school bus on speed bumps...Prices start at $27,985 for the basic rear-drive model but rise to $38,900 for the Commander Limited with four-wheel drive. That's $6,000 more than a similarly equipped Explorer Limited.

It is also almost the same as an existing Chrysler S.U.V., the Dodge Durango Limited, that has a real third row and a less ungainly appearance.

If the Commander proves anything, it is the depths of desperation the division felt to get a model with two extra seats. Jeep wanted a third row in the worst possible way, and it pretty much got one. Almost."

No thanks!
    Do you care to specify the the person(s) for writing such a untrue review? Which mag was it?

BTW, what type of SUV do you drive if you own one?

The Dodge Durango with "a less ungainly appearance"? Well that alone loses crediablility. The Durango is more polorizing than the Commander, despite its blocky shape.

And you said the Commander is a full $6K more than a fully loaded Explorer Limited. Was this before or after Ford incentives? Because at last check, the fully loaded '06 Explorer's $43,801.89 price tag is not something to boast about. That's a far cry from $6k, at the most a couple hundred bucks.

We all know that Jeep could've done a better job with the 3rd-row seat. So could Ford. So could Acura. So could Volvo. SO could Toyota and so on.

If all you have on the Commander is the skimpish 3rd-row, then you have nothing at all. Next time, quote a more crediable source.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,789
    Here's the link:

2006 Jeep Commander: A Looming Case of Hummer Envy (NY Times)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I read the review, and my question is why didn't you type it in whole and just not all the negative parts? Have you read Edmunds own review of the Commander? It's more in line with what's real and what's someone vendetta against one of the most capable SUV's on the marketplace today, 3rd-row seat not withstanding.