Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet C/K vs Silverado

Comments

• Options
    RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Bud,
    You're right on. This guy probably doesn't even own a truck as well......and if he is debating between an Accord or this nice truck then he should sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Tim,
    Isn't this your job? Boy, I don't like this wrath thing too much......You're better suited for the role. ;)
  • Options
    cottrell1cottrell1 Member Posts: 39
    Your right about the Toyota Trucks when it takes a company 6 years to figure out that they have to put a 8 in a truck you know even talking about them is useless. The fact is that the DC, Ford & GM Trucks are alot better made than any Japanese trucks. I can't wait till the new DC pickups come out I have a feeling that even the GM's will be overshadowed for a while. Considering they overhauled the Pickup section of the Auto marketplace back in 1994 after being dorment for 16 years. As for the Fords its sad they are the best selling truck because they will soon be the worst of the Big Three pickups by far. Right now even I have to admit the GM's are the best. As for the oil guy he sounds uninformed about oil and engines. So let's ignore him for a while and get back to the original topic of this disscussion!
  • Options
    dberrydberry Member Posts: 22
    Last time I looked, It isn't as big as a truck. It doesn't look like a truck. It doesn't haul like a truck. So, why compare it to a truck?
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    come on...It's a toyota!

....(see I didn't even say Toiletta!)....)until just then)

Give me a good Dodge/Ford VS Chevy debate....not some lame import that doesn't know what full size means....except for full size price!!

- Tim
  • Options
    cottrell1cottrell1 Member Posts: 39
    If anyone in this disscusion owns a 70's GM Fullsize he could put it in there I have no doubt it would work very well since it is older.
  • Options
    rubluetoorubluetoo Member Posts: 175
    Instead of that honda, get ya one of them tundras now. It be bout the same thing. Heard tell from some folk that them tundra ones be perfect. Wont get that burnin of oil from them limited ones for sure. Bet ya fit right in with them folk too! Good luck on this one now!
  • Options
    powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    Sorry to hear about your lemon, but there are many on this board with GM trucks that have over 200K miles on them just like your Toyota. I have a Buick LeSabre that has 160,000 miles on it and still runs like new (I drive it 52 miles round trip to work everyday) with only a worn alternator and fuel pump replaced (at 130K and 149K respectively). I understand your anger at GM for not doing the right thing, but your lemon could just as easily have been a Ford, Dodge, or even a Toyota.
    I've owned 5 GM cars/trucks in my driving lifetime and never had any problem with any of them. That's the whole reason I keep going back to them. One bad one doesn't make all of them bad. Good luck with your truck.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    Don't bother with ole' sour puss delta225. He probably thinks Consumer Reports is factual data.

Like I have said before. 3 Toyota's all left me walking at some point well before 40k miles. I have owned many new and used GM trucks over the last 16 years and never had to walk with any of them.

Let the ole sour grape pay way too much for a Toyota AND HAVE ALL THE SAME PROBLEMS ANYWAY!
  • Options
    mesquitebeanmesquitebean Member Posts: 15
    Sounds like maintenance or your truck was built on monday. I have a 96 Cheyenne w/151,835 and a 96 Silverado w/87,243, and my neighbor has a 96 w/154,789. Every one has had the famous rattle since new, however they all run like new and use no oil! Either you didnt take care of it or you just got a bad engine.
    Major repairs are as follows
    my 96 Cheyenne, oil changes,brakes,tires and just recently, an alternator.
    my 96 Silverado, oil changes,tires,cd player (when new),a/c clutch bearings at 44k.
    neighbors 96, oil changes, brakes, tires, alternator, idler pulley, o2 sensor, a/c clutch bearings.

Not too bad.
  • Options
    oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    cottrell 1,
    Your comment about Ford's sales position and quality is a point I use to compare Ford and MicroSoft. Microsoft sells more WINDOWS(tm) operating systems than anyone else, but Apple and IBM both have better. Ford sells more pickups than GM or DC, but . . . Well, you know.
    Harry
  • Options
    kanu63kanu63 Member Posts: 1
    hi,

It seems that most people here have either the LS or LT Silverado trucks. I don't have much to spend and the great thing is that you can buy a 2000 Silverado 1500 Regular Cab Short Box, for about $14,500.

I was ready to buy the truck, but all the posts on the rattling has scared me off a little. Does any one have any information for sure?

I was also considering purchasing a used 99 Silvarado 1500 STD, short box, short bed with 10,000 miles. What do you think is a fair price on that truck?

Any suggestions and help for a first time Chevy buyer would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    tapd140tapd140 Member Posts: 1
    Being the owner of a 1991 C1500 ext cab Silverado, I find it time to give my 340,000 mile truck (read: RELIABLE)to my daughter in college. Oh, original engine, 350, and uses some oil, quart every 4,000 miles. New tranny at 278,000 (read: RELIABLE)
    Has anyone the experience of adults in the rear seat of the ext cabs? Is it comfortable? I'm torn between the ext cab, a C2500 crew cab, or a Ford f150 crew cab.
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    kanu63
    i have two friends that have both bought 2000 LS ex cab silverados in the last few months. one guy has 4K miles on his already, and it is an awesome, flawless truck. no probs that are being reported around here. the other guy has no problems either, but he doesn't have many miles on it yet. but by the looks of things, the first year bugs and rattles have been fixed.
  • Options
    oldharry,
    Do you apply your theory to GM's overall sales? How about when GM sold more trucks years ago?

Hmmmmmm........
  • Options
    I am partial to GM vehicles, but have to say that I think that Ford makes a fine vehicle also. Mere preferences persuaded my purchase than one being "better" than the other.

However, in either case, I don't think what sells the most makes a bit of difference. With that argument, one could just say that the one that sells less is because the buyers of the product with less sales volume, hold on to their vehicles longer than the other. Is it because they last longer? Is it because they are less "trendy"? Who knows, but again, sales volumes mean very little as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    Sounds like it is irritating but does it affect the actual function of the motor? --Or is this more like the "slap" in some 5.4 tritons?
  • Options
    Yeah, some of the Fords and GM's have had some very minor engine noises that did not affect the longevity or performance of the engines. Nothing like the self destructing valvetrains the Tundra in the other topic had.

Hmmmmm. Noisy engine......Engine that throws valvetrain parts to the side of the road......I think I'll stick with my faulty, inferior, noisy, rattly, ugly, unreliable Silverado that has never left me walking. I think that covers all the whiny little slams I have heard from Toyota owners about the Silverado. I guess the two Tacomas that left me walking, both having less than 40k miles, is just a fluke and an oversight.

I sure love my GM trucks!
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I love mine too, even if it does have plastic parts in the transmission. Who says you can't learn something from a Toyota ex Camry, first time pickup truck buyer?
  • Options
    chevyownerchevyowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 4.3 V-6 Cheyenne. It has an irrittating miss that happens at fifty m.p.h. I've replaced plugs and wires, nothing seems to help. I had the transmission rebuilt last year and I thought the miss might have something to do with the overdrive. I've had this truck seven years and it has 133000 miles on it and its been a great truck. I'm planning on getting a 2000 Chevy with a V-8 soon....was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with the 4.3's
  • Options
    wwwredneckwwwredneck Member Posts: 1
    My parents are looking to buy a P/U. Dad wants to know if the push-button activated 4-wheel drives are reliable as far as the life of the truck or is he better off getting the lever-activated four-wheel drive??
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Don't forget the bent and cracking frames.
  • Options
    juscheckinjuscheckin Member Posts: 1
    HI, I guess I just jump in!? I Recently purchased a 98 ext cab Z71. Love it. I was wondering the GVW is 6600LBS. It has 12 bolt rear end as compared to others that I have noticed that have 10 bolt with 6000LB cap. I see the 12 bolt under the 3/4 ton PI. Anyone know what the deal is? Are the axles in the housing the same (10 spline,12 spline)?? What kind of diff is it? What's the difference. Appreciate the help from someone that knows.
  • Options
    z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    the last ones were made in the late 70's or early 80's. You may for some reason have a 14-bolt semi-floater if you are for sure that it is not a 10-bolt. Do you have a diesel engine? I believe that the K1500's with the 6.5 came with 14-bolt rear ends, but I don't know of any other 1/2 ton appplication that had anything other than a 10-bolt (there may be some applications that I don't know about).
  • Options
    rooproop Member Posts: 4
    someone tell me, I thinking of paying cash for
    3500 CC 4x4 convenience pkg, lock dif, trailor eqp,skid plts, hvy dty sprgs, something about the tires for 26,810 plus tax. It this a good price?

ROOPSTER
  • Options
    that's a very good deal! You didn't specify which engine, but even if it's the smaller 350 (still a great engine) it's still a good price. If it's not new, how many miles are on it? What year, and in what condition is it?
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    rooproop Member Posts: 4
    brand damn new 2000 it is. I have not signed the papers yet and have benn driving it for 2 days. It's a small block 350 and drinks the gas but I wanted a big truck. It was the best for the price. I wanted a Tundra but they were too darn much for a small truck compared to what I got now.
  • Options
    colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    New here guys!What's your opinion on my 94 c1500?I've had it since new,it's loaded,19550 mi.That's right....19550.Don't use it a heck of a lot,but love it!It's got the 5.7,4-speed auto, black with red int.Any pro's or cons from you Chevy buffs?
  • Options
    HOLD ON TO IT! With that low miles, that thing will be worth its weight in Gold soon. Won't see the Tundra become a "classic" truck.
  • Options
    Just make sure you drive it at least once a week, and change the oil based on months rather than miles. Most of all, make sure you drive it enough to enjoy it.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    I also own a 1996 Silverado but it hasnt had near the problems delta 225. 1-fuel pump(would not restart at dealership when i stopped to complain about hard starting). 2-intake gasket leaking at rear. 3-intake gasket leaking at front. 4-constant squeaking belt due to misalignment. 5-alternator failure. 6-severe knock at cold start-up. 7-hood rust at contact point with grill(appears to be poor design)gm fix is to sand repaint and cover with clear tape. This fix lasted about 8 months before the rust returned and the gm response was sorry pal she's out of warranty. I guess this is still a great truck cause most people say this is normal stuff
  • Options
    19 thousand on a 94? Wow. Most guys do that in a year......hold on to that sucker.....!
  • Options
    mit6mit6 Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering purchasing a 96 ext. cab Z71 what kind of gas mileage does one get? Please, thanks.
  • Options
    Check out the "97 Chevrolet Silverado Complaints"
    topic (#183). The gas mileage can be anywhere from as low as 14 mpg up to 21 mpg. I'm in the latter category. In the summer I get 20-21.2 mpg with mostly highway (90%), and in the winter time it goes down to 18.5-19.5 mpg. To get that mileage I stay at the speed limit of 65. I'm very happy with that and very happy with my truck overall. By the way it's a '98 ext-cab Z71 with 5.7L engine, 4sp auto, and 3.73 axles.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    jackbean53jackbean53 Member Posts: 1
    check your fuel pump pressure.
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    i've heard from my service manager that the intake gasket on the 5.7 vortec is common to leak. usually not catastrophic leakage, just slow. (coolant)
  • Options
    smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    I had this problem twice. The first time was at the rear and a couple of months later at the front..
  • Options
    2000ck3500lb2000ck3500lb Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a new 2000 Crew Cab K3500 4WD, 7.4L, long box, original body style. Love it.
    What kind of future maintenance problems, if any, might I expect with the big block or trans system?
  • Options
    Congrats on your new purchase! Sounds like a great truck. Is it a GMC or a Chevy? They're the same truck, of course, except for the front end cosmetics and badging, but I'm just curious. Love that 7.4L engine. If you haven't already seen it, take a look at the torque curve of the 7.4L at www.gmpowertrain.com . It's a thing of beauty. Nice and flat. The torque is there from 1000 rpm all the way up to 5000 rpm.
    I have a '98 GMC K1500 with the 5.7L. It's also a great engine, but there's something special about having the king-of-the-hill engine. And the 7.4L definitely fits that bill. The emissions police nixed any hope of putting a big-block in a half-ton truck, again (that's a good thing actually, I just like to dream from time to time). Let us know your fuel mileage and other characteristics as it wears in. I'm guessing you'll see about 10-12 mpg highway till it gets a few thousand on it, then it'll probably slowly go up to 13-14 (depending on how heavy your foot is). That's roughly what the new 6.0L is getting with a lot less torque. I think you made a good choice.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    goodtimes2goodtimes2 Member Posts: 2
    a 1998 2500 Silverado Ext cab, 4x4. Pretty loaded w/18,150 miles. Have been a *tried and true* Ford 150 driver, but like the looks of this Chevy. I've done some research, but would like to get some input from some actual owners of this particular make/model of vehicle. Truck has the 5.7 L V-8 by the way. Will be using as a 4-wheeler hauler (ATV's)and small fishing boat hauler w/a camper loaded into the bed. Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    I have a '98 GMC K1500 4x4 with 5.7L. I don't do much hauling or towing, but I can tell you I'm really happy with the 5.7L. Good power and great fuel economy. I have the 3.73 gears and auto tranny and I'm getting 20+ mpg in my half-ton (mostly highway at 65 mph). I'm guessing your 3/4 ton will get 16-17 mpg depending on how hard you drive it.
    I'm not a brand loyal guy. I like all makes of trucks. The GMC was just the best for me at the time. The more brand switchers we have, the better our future truck choices will be.
    Good luck with your Chevy if you decide to get it.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    gbroadygbroady Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 Silverado with a 4.8 engine and have
    18,000 miles on it. No problems, no engine knocks
    no rattles, no wind noise a great truck. After driving a Dodge 1500 and a Ford 150 I decided to
    purchase the Silverado. Best decision that I have
    ever made. I love this truck.
  • Options
    dale50dale50 Member Posts: 3
    looking at 1999 ext cab k1500 z71, 5.3 engine, leather, 17k miles...dealer said all z71's have the limited slip diff, he said all dealers order that as an option when they order the z71 package... is this correct? Also will be looking at one from a private individual 6k miles truck is also z71 based on telephone discussion the trucks seem about the same..he is not sure about the diff questions. I would appreciated thoughts on the 2 trucks,the diff questions, and a fair price. thanks
  • Options
    will the remaining warranty transfer if you buy from an individual???? any problems with this
  • Options
    The warranty transfers regardless of whom you buy it from. The manufacturer warrants that. Chances are that both Z71's do have the locking differential. It's possible to order one without it, but the dealers would never do that because they'd have a hard time getting rid of it. You can just check the window sticker (if the owner still has it) and it should list it to be sure. If you buy one of these trucks, make sure you take them for a long test drive at highway speeds. Go all the way from 60 to 85 and see if there is a vibration. That is one of the reported problems with the new trucks.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    thanks for the info, drove the 1999 up to about 75 seem to be fine...saw the invoice, you are right did have the diff..truck looks new, the guy is selling beacuse of a divorce. sticker new was $30,700, looks new is $24,000 a fair price thanks for you reply.
  • Options
    wtdwtd Member Posts: 96
    I know when I bought my 98 ext-cab Z-71 two years ago, alot of the Z-71's on the lot did not have the locking diff. I don't know if this has changed on the new body styles but just don't assume that it has it just because it says Z-71 on the side. Look up the option code on the tag in the glove box. I think the code for locking diff is still G80.
  • Options
    mgumgu Member Posts: 5
    99 1/2 Silverado 24k mi engine knocking.
    The condition : during cold start for about 10-20 seconds it sounds like a lifter banging. GM service bulletin claims there is carbon build-up on the cylinder walls causing this condition. Fix: fill all cylinders with a solvent let set overnight to desolve the carbon build-up.This did not work. GM is looking into it. Anyone else experience this problem and if so what was the fix?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    PF59...What type of oil, what weight, and what oil filter are you currently using?

Does it sound like piston slap on start up?
  • Options
    maplemaple Member Posts: 16
    I have a new Silverado ex-cab 4X4 and the front bumper set up is not like the C/K. One good hit and it is really messed up, with a lot of nuts & bolts to wrestle, that is if you can do it yourself. The C/K took some work, but the air dam was only a small part of the bumper. Now the air dam must be half the bumper. So, anyone know of any replacement front bumpers which will hold up as of yet? I don't need a grill guard. I've already removed the pot metal rear bumper and put a Ranch Hand(pipe) bumper in the rear.
  • Options
    mgumgu Member Posts: 5
    obyone:What ever oil they use at the chevy dealer. GM says carbon build-up, it sounds more mechanical than poor ignition, more like a lifter starving for oil.
This discussion has been closed.