Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazdaspeed3 vs. VW V GTI vs. Civic Si

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    it may 'scream' to you stal, but thats part of the character. The 3 you have is not the performance version of the 3. The si is the performance version of the civic. Honda wouldn't want complaints of a sedate si.

160hp better than 140? Yeah in some ways. But you gotta realize that 160 hp isn't all that amazing for a 2.3. Honda had a 2.0 that put out the same amount. They have one that puts out 197... :blush:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    We're all guilty of going off topic. We should move this to the "economy sedans" board if we're gonna keep it up. I'm just as guilty as you guys.
  • stallionrestallionre Posts: 205
    OUCH, OH, I feel your pain. the 405!!! Are you crazy? :cry: Sorry. I am in the same boat, try the 101 and 5? Double trouble. When I enter a freeway, I put the pedal the metal and merge, then of course you have to slow down till you 40MPH. :mad: :( Which sucks!!!

You explain LA very well. ;)
    I know, we are just trying to make lite of the situation and humor of course with the roads now a days. :surprise:
    Oh, I just meant the talk of the basic versions of these cars. A lot of people would be interested in what we've talked about between the 156 hp 3, 140 hp Civic, etc...I certainly am interested!

Not trying to be a mommy/daddy to the forum, that's not my job. :)
    Yup!! I hear you. No problem.
    Yup!! I hear you. No problem.
    dont worry grad you are right! Except the 3 may be difficult to discuss in the 'economy sedans' forum...remember what edmunds thought of it? :blush:
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    The Civic was fast enough, but the torque deficit was noticable. Loved the seats, and the guages weren't an issue. Loved the look too. Have owned a 97 Integra and 95 Civic, so I was pulling for the Si, but it was WAY too loud!

The Mazda was slightly slower, but was more relaxed about everything it did, and on wet, winding roads, it was swift, poised, and the interior was more cohesive.

If you're 18, the Civic will excite. Anybody over 25 may tire of it's endless racket and unpretentious ways.

Honda could've tried to quell noise a little bit. The Si is twice as loud as my Integra, and the 3 was half as noisy as that.

The Scion tC was more quiet than either.

The Si is not a Ferrari. Let's keep it real. The noise doesn't endear it. :sick:

Mazda's torque negates enough of Civics high-end power to make it a close race, but the Mazda has smoothed out the rough edges.

DrFill
    Drfill,

Thanks. Your write up was awesome. I really how the Mazda smooths out the rough edges, like you have stated. I took my car this weekend on the freeway going about 90 and it purred right along. Very low engine noise, unlike the Civic that I drove at 80. Even the Nissan SE-R sounds like that it was going to fall apart. They both screamed way to loud. :surprise:
    dont get me wrong doc, i know enought about torque to know what you mean about the mazda's low end. But when the si has just so much top end that it bests its zero to 60 time by almost 2 seconds, thats pretty noticeable.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    ....since when has this thread started comparing the Civic Si to the base Mazda3 2.3?

Isn't there another thread comparing Civics to the Mazda3 (and the Rabbit for that matter)? Where in the heck is the discussion of the Speed3 vs. the Civic Si vs. the VW GTI?
    Been there, said that...
  • There is no comparison between them. These two jumped in here and started comparing the 3S to the SI. 156 hp compared to 197. The torque difference is not that great. The SI blows the 3S out of the water, not even close. It (the 3S) is barely faster then the Civic with 140 hp. :sick:
    i really dunno how we got on it, even i tried getting back on track...i just cant ignore some posts tho!
    who do you mean by 'these two'? If you look back, several posters had something to say about stallionaires comments about the 3 compared to the si, not just 2 people. And it was only 1 person who brought it in in the first place. :blush:
    I only brought it up, because someone brought it up first. I just wanted to tell people the experience that I felt in the si. That was all. I didn't mention it anymore and have moved on.
    i hear ya stal, i'm just saying that it was unfair to pen it all on 2 people, when many participated.
    ;) No problem. I can handle the pain. JK. I was at fault to not being totally on topic. ;)
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    How widely available is it?

The VW GTI is a great all around car, if only VW has a better dealer and manufacturing background and reliability record. If they lengthened their warranties to Hyundai's levels that would help.
    yeah it probably would, but you'd still have people going on on how 'they need that warranty', like you still see it with hyundai's even though they really are not bad at all either.

Having said that, the vw warranty is longer than that of mazda or honda.
    Yeah, but not by much. I wouldn't buy a car just for the warranty.
    well, it certainly is a decisive factor for some, i wouldnt either, but it made me feel better about my vw.

It is kinda by a bit tho stall. 36000 3 yrs compared to 4 years 60k. Thats a lot for some people. Even if it only takes you 2 year to get 36k, 2more years on top of that is a pretty long time!
    I hear you in that sense, However, I don't drive my 3 much, since I have two other cars. I only drive my 3 on sunny days and will only put about 3,000 miles a year on the car, therefore, having a large warranty, doesnt warrant it in my situation.

I live 1 mile from work.
    geez. 3k a year. I've had my rabbit for seven months and i broke 16 k today!

I live 16 miles from work. :sick:
    Ouch, you drive everywhere then if you work is 16 miles, and you already have 16K miles in 7 months. Where do you drive to? :surprise:
    Great, how is the car? You like it? Any problems yet?
    Enjoy!! :)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    It is kinda by a bit tho stall. 36000 3 yrs compared to 4 years 60k.

Mazda has a 5-yr 60K engine power train warranty as well. VW has an advantage in bumper to bumper coverage, and Mazda has the advantage in engine power train coverage.
    No matter how much the warranty is covered for, I still take the 3 hands down.
  • The Rabbit had 150 HP and the Mazda 3S had 156. To me, the VW seemed quicker. Interior wise the VW was much higher quality than the Mazda. Ride was also smoother. Handling seemed about the same. I was amazed when I saw that the Rabbit was $3,000 cheaper! This is a no brainer! If you want a daily driver, get the Rabbit.
    This would be a great post for the Economy Sedans $16k-$20k forum...

Did you test the GTI or Mazdaspeed 3?
This discussion has been closed.