Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Miata Problems and Solutions

Comments

• taycraigtaycraig Posts: 1
    okay. I am 17 years old and I live in port townsend washington. My parents bought me a 1991 miata for my 16th birthday. The car was awesome when I first got it. but after the use on anything, there comes a problem. A few months ago my car started to run very poor and studder when I began to accelerate. It seems that the car doesn't do it as much when i'm at higher RPM's. if i gently tap the gas the car wont do it but if I want to clime a hill or start off from a stop, the car will just start acting up and running like crap. I have replaced new belts, plugs, aire filter, oil filter... and all the basics. I took it to the shop and had my mechanic check it out but he can't seem to figure out the problem. My dad and I tried to check the codes to see what's wrong with the electrical problem but no codes come out of the car and I am pretty sure it's electrical... I am coming to guess that it's the ECU in the car... this is my first car and i'm not very experienced with auto mechanics but this is something ive never seen before. does anyone have a solution? thanks!!
    -Tay
  • gatojeffgatojeff Posts: 3
    Have you changed the gas filter?
    jeff
  • denise11denise11 Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem with my 99 Miata also. Can I ask what you did to stop it. I've had the engine light reset with one of the ODC it reads excessive EGR flow also.
    Can you still drive it and not have problems. I've had so much work done on this car but I still love it.
    Thank you for any insight.
  • denise11denise11 Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Miata MX5. I love my car but just recently the check engine light came on. I have had it checked with the OBDC-II and it says I have Excessve EGR flow. Will it hurt my car driving with this on? And what does EGR flow mean?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Could be a contaminated fuel system. Try the fuel filter first (it's a pain, be ready for 2-3 hours under the car), if that does not help get a throttle-body service to clean the whole system out.

Our 626 did that, hesitated like crazy, and that service cleared it right up.

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

Your EGR system could be clogged up with contaminants, or you could have something as simple as a bad PCV Valve (positive crankcase ventilation). Since those are very cheap, I'd change that first, might only cost you a few bucks.

-juice
  • hazeleyeshazeleyes Posts: 1
    TNB,
    I've been hand washing my MX-5 Grandtourning. This is great exercise. Remember not to wash the car in the heat of the day and purchase a good chamoise cloth. I may be washing mine too much. However, I wash it once a week or every time it gets dirty. I do keep a few soft cloths in the trunk to wipe small spots and bugs. :shades:
    Anyone know exactly where the drip drains are under the doors? Mine are clogged up; I can actually hear the water sloshing around.

-juice
    Found 'em, here are pics I found that helped me out:

Here is the passenger side front:

And the passenger side rear:

Oddly enough, there are bolts covering some of my holes. I had some body work done and I think the body shop just did not know what they were doing, looks like they actually plugged up several of the holes! DOH! :mad:

I managed to free up one of the ones on the passenger side and sure enough water came pouring out. Lots and lots of it. :sick:

I need to remove bolts on the driver's side.

You'd think a body shop would know better. Sheesh.

-juice
  • 3rdman3rdman Posts: 1
    Anyone performed or looking into performing an oil change on an 2006 MX-5? I have an engine diagram from Mazda that shows where the oil filter & drain plug are located, but that doesn't show me how I'm gonna get at it (looks like from underneath the car). Has anyone tried this yet? Or made pictures of where things are?

Cheers,
    -3rdMan
  • modena2904modena2904 Posts: 16
    We just picked up a 2006 MX-5, and we love it. But we're wondering where is a good place to stash the garage door opener? It won't clip on to the visor, it doesn't fit in the center compartment (where the cupholders are), and the compartment between the seatbacks isn't very convenient.

Any ideas?

- Bubba
  • mazdaman3mazdaman3 Posts: 12
    I've got a '99 Miata with 41k miles on it, and a couple weeks ago, my check engine light came on. I had it read at Autozone, and it's PO420 - Catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank one). Any ideas as to what I'm gonna have to get done here? The guy recommended putting in octane booster, and running it on the interstate... :confuse: I don't think you can "blow out the carbon" anymore... anyway, I've also heard rumors about the cat being covered under the Federally mandated emissions warranty by Mazda. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • mazdaman3mazdaman3 Posts: 12
    Just an update: I had the code erased last night, to see if it would come back, and it did within about 10-20 miles. It stays on constantly, not coming on and off like i've read about on some other forums. The car runs fine, gets the same mileage(26-32), idles at 800rpm (factory) constantly. Right now I'm suspecting the O2 sensors or the catalytic converter, but i'm worried it's gonna end up being some kind of coil pack or misfire issue. Any thoughts to ease my worries? Thanks again.
  • linda3214linda3214 Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Miata with 25,000 miles on it. Recently it started running kind of poorly, so I put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it. Next time I went to drive it - it starts, then dies a couple of times, then runs fine. A couple of days later, it took more tries to get it to run. The check engine light came on while I was driving, but after smelling a puff of gas, engine light went off. Next time out, car won't start. I put in new spark plugs. Still, every time it cranks, it runs for a couple of seconds, then dies.

Any ideas about what is wrong? After reading many of the postings, I haven't seen anything exactly like this. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • royce242royce242 Posts: 2
    Hey folks. I have a 2006 Miata and was wondering if anyone else experienced the radio/cd player fizzing out for about 2 seconds once you latch the top back up.

It's not a big deal whatsoever but I was just wondering if anyone knew what caused it!

Thanks
    Our 626 was hesitating, though not quite dying like that, and a throttle body service cleared it up. We had clogged fuel injectors, even though it was only fed premium fuels.

-juice
  • pipefitterpipefitter Posts: 27
    Your audio system is "fizzling" out because your radio has two modes, top up and top down. The pause is the change in volume levels between modes.
  • royce242royce242 Posts: 2
    Ah ha! Thanks!
  • reuban1reuban1 Posts: 5
    with 53,000 Miles on it. It's been sitting out side for two years. Anything special I should do to it other then the usual stuff? And should I look for anything? I am going to buy a new soft top any hint on a good one?

Thanks
    I'd replace all the fluids, including bleeding brakes, coolant, even bleeding the clutch master/slave (it uses brake fluid too). Not just engine oil but also transmission and rear differnetial fluids (75w90 gear oil for both).

I got a '93 when it was 8 years old, and the rear diffy fluid looked like melted chocolate. The clutch slave cylinder wore out and the fluid in there wasn't much better.

That plus all the usual 60k service stuff. Anything original is 16 years old now, so maybe all the belts and hoses if they look worn, cracked, or feel hard.

-juice
  • reuban1reuban1 Posts: 5
    Thanks Juice! Here is an update It just got dropped off at my house. Paint is ok but faded. checking the drip stick the oil looked great the back window you can't even see out of but, the soft top looking at works like new. brake diskes are all rust. one window does not work but I found a new kit for the window in the truck.

1st I may compound the paint then wax?
    2nd Change oil asap
    3nd Back window. Is there just a window replacement?
    4th Brakes. Will they just wear in?
    5th What's the time frame to repair the withdow (Power)?
This discussion has been closed.