Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

intermittent ac problems

1patrick1patrick Member Posts: 4
edited July 2019 in Chevrolet
I have a 2012 Malibu the ac comes and goes at will. Any ideas?

Comments

• tw758tw758 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2012 with the same issue only reason im here
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited July 2019
    @tw758 Does it start out blowing cold and then turn hot? Or does it seem random?

Intermittent cooling is often caused by parts of the AC system freezing up. Typically an iced over evaporator. If the evaporator is covered in ice can’t cool the air. Once the ice melts, the cold air eventually returns. Could be a dirty cabin air filter or a blocked evaporator drain or an overcharged system. Do you see any puddles of water under your car?

• loriwg63loriwg63 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport. Every time i switch from a/c to heat, it does not want to switch. I would wiggle the switch and it finally would. now it doesnt switch at all. could it be the switch or a wire?
  • DavercsonDavercson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Pontiac transport. Periodically when we shut ignition off the blower motor fan will stay on, draining the battery. I am suspecting a bad blower motor relay but cant find information on location. It is not listed in fuse panel on passenger side of dash or in relay box under hood in front of wiper motor. I am not sure if it is all part of blower motor resister. I have to assume it has separate relay but can't find any info on it.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited March 2020
    Davercson said:

I have a 97 Pontiac transport. Periodically when we shut ignition off the blower motor fan will stay on, draining the battery. I am suspecting a bad blower motor relay but cant find information on location. It is not listed in fuse panel on passenger side of dash or in relay box under hood in front of wiper motor. I am not sure if it is all part of blower motor resister. I have to assume it has separate relay but can't find any info on it.

Depending on how Pontiac did various models, your car could have a true relay that has resistors and switches among connections there to reduce the voltage to change the fan speed

OR

you could have a blower control module device which is all electronic. With these there was usually a display that showed fans speeds on an LCD readout in the vehicles. The relays could fail in various ways. The fan speeds could be different speeds than they were, sometimes varying while driving. But they also could continue to drain current from the battery when off.

These are two pictures to show what the electronic module is like.
    Search on the net for location pictures or diagrams for your vehicle. These came from rockauto.com

Lesabres and H-bodies had them on top of the blower box under the hood near the cowl. They had a master
    fuse block above them that could be loosened with one bolt and moved for easier access.
    Later models had the control module inside close to the blower with part of it inside the airstream
    inside the blower box. The moving air is needed for cooling the device.

Also search for the Chevy/GMC clone of the Transport. Likely more of them on road
    with more people posting about them...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,