Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• hydnhydn Posts: 8
    Only 2500 miles and 2 1/2 months. No rattles.

Biggest complaints...
    - Suspension is too soft side-to-side. When I drive 80 with a cross wind the car rocks with the wind. (light/tall car). Not that I slow down though :P
    - Small tires tend to spin on take off in wet conditions.
    - Standard tires do not grip well in snow.
    - Can't fold down the back seats with the front seats all the way back (like I drive).
    - Fold down rear seats not as useful as I thought to carry large things because of the rounded design of the hole to the trunk.
    - Center console would be nice to store stuff.
    - Shifter is imprecise.

Bright spots...
    - Engine revs readily after 1500 miles in. Gives decent performance if you are willing to use it.
    - Front seats and front room are fine even at 6'2" 250lbs.
    - Vision out the front and back are very good.
    - Ride is good over rough country roads.
  • After about 13 months of owning an Aveo, here is an update:
    (Jan 2005 purchase date)

MPG: 30 entirely city driving
    Miles: 8,000
    Bumps,rattles, or squeaks: none

It drives quite well, I did find out that this bad boy can hold a 27 inch tv in the box in the front seat. Rear storage is also quite good.

stuff I hate:

The side window deflectors are $74.99 not including installation. :mad:
  • wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    I need a new transportation very badly, I have been waiting for these supposedly better quality cars, Yaris,Fit and Versa, but it seems forever the day they would finally arrive here in USA.
    I am in NJ and I saw the other day in the parking lot of a
    dealer one Aveo Hatchback LS for approximately $11,570.00 base price plus $850.00 automatic and $ 325.00 for a replacement of the standard Am/Fm with CD, plus $540.00 destination charges, total $13,285.00.
    This could always be debated, the main reason for this writing is that I read good things about this car and bad things from owners,

My advice, wait for the Japanese cars -- you'll be happier over the long run. If you can pick up a loaded Aveo for 10K or less, fine, but DO NOT pay anywhere near list for one. Long-term reliability is unknown and resale value is near the bottom of the pile.

I'm one of the disatisfied owners who've had problems with timing belt/tensioner failures, suspension problems, etc. Parts are impossible to find beyond the basic filters and repairs are expensive.

Could be an okay car for low mileage drivers around town, but would not recommend to anyone who plans to put higher than average mileage on it. Go for Toyota or Honda with their proven reliability record. You'll likely pay more up front, but have a car that's worth more and will be less expensive to maintain.
  • seawolfeseawolfe Posts: 4
    :shades: the Aveo is a very hot car in the summer, airconditner is not much good in the very hot days. the sun shines down on you from the windshield, and the shades do no good at all.
    now if its not to hot of a day you stay nice and cool, I guess it might help if you tent your windshieald.
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    I tinted my windows. I live in Texas and the car is fine.
    randydriver, do you have trouble with the wind almost blowing your car off the road ,even if its not a strong wind? because I do! :mad: it's a few things I hate about the car, well let me say this ,all I like about the car is it's cute :D & the blue color. the darn car scares me when im driving it. october of 2006 I will have had it for a year, cant wait ,I plan to trade it in for something better,& safer. my husband picked it out for me, he thought I would like it, and I did until I drove it. :sick:
    I dont know much about cars, but I bought a AVEO 10-05 and I will trade it in 10-06, for something better. the wind nearly blows it off the road,you have to hold on tight, and my car has blind spots I almost wrecked 3 times because of it,and almost ran over my daughter, & would have if my grand son hadent saw her. the aircond. dont do much good when its a real hot day, [ but you could tent the windows ,I hear that helps]. Now, about the electrical part, that worrys me, becouse I have been hearing a funny sound in my car as I drive here lately, BUT IT NEVER HAS STALLED ON ME AT ALL. But you have to let the red light go off before you start the car, it has something to do with the electrical gas tank ,if you dont let the red light go off it says in the book that your car will stop on you.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    I haven't had any problems with the air conditioner. Extreme winds yes, but it's fairly rare.
    all most ran over my daughter because of the blind spots on my car. :cry:
    My '04 sedan has always been bad, even in light winds (10-25 mph) or behind trucks on the interstate. It's gotten worse with age as the suspension gets looser. This car feels downright scary on the highway and needs constant attention to keep it in one lane. People seem to stay behind me just for the comical entertainment of watching me fight to stay straight.

Just had it in for brakes last Friday (bad rotors) and the mechanic says that the upper strut mounts are shot but he couldn't locate any replacements except the dealer. He could pull the front wheels back and forth while the car was up on a lift -- it shouldn't do that. That probably explains the squiggly side-to-side motions at highway speeds.

Regarding your sound while driving, explain it further -- I have 65,000 miles and might have some info on it.
    Sorry I took so long to reply I upgraded my wheels to 15inches and different tires and that has helped the handling alot. Really if driving the smaller car is a bother...talk to some of the guys in the small sedan forum they are really helpful there are a lot of small cars coming on the market that handle better. The Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Hyundia Accent, Kia Rio, and the Nissan Versa. Lots of options you didn't have a year ago. I didn't have the wind trouble after the wheel change thought.
    I have been lucky mine is the 04 and I have had no suspension problems. Took to the dealer and had it check after hearing all the complaints about it. No side to side motions on the highway, or anything like that. Keep posted on what you find out though.
    How many miles do you have on yours? I have 66K miles and the handling/stability is much worse now than when it was newer. I don't have the benefit of any information from people who have high miles on their cars -- the Aveo doesn't seem to be holding up well compared to other models as it ages.
    What size tire did you go to? I know many of the 18-25 year old owners have gone to lowering springs and 16 or 17 inch wheels with wide tires and report that the handling is much improved.

For a number of reasons, I don't want to stray too much from stock in the appearance. I'm way too old for cruising the boulevard racing Hondas.:D

Does moving from 14 to 15 inch wheels really make that much of a difference?
    just lowering the suspension a little nothing radical and going to the 15 inch wheels make a lot of difference. I just changed wheel size 15 inch and a little wider... the 2006 Aveo the optional wheel is a 15 incher.
    Did you use lowering springs (Apex, H & R) or use some other means to lower the suspension?

Will consider switching to 15" the next time I need tires.
    you will have to get new wheels to change to 15's. yes and the lowering springs was the correct answer.... oh check out the new wheels on the 2006 they are 15's on the LT.
  • hdguyhdguy Posts: 2
    HI,

I have a quick question on the Hatchback 2006 Suzuki Swift+ (S model). I'm interested in buying one in the next two days. I was wondering how much did you guys pay for this car out the door. I'm looking to do a cash purchase. Salesman won't budge on the sticker price. The price i've got so far is $15,190 + 100 (A/C Fee) + 20 (Tire fee) + All Taxes (canadian dollar).

Anyone mind sharing their neogiating outcomes? Did anyone get a better price?

PS - Is this car reliable? Any owners out there with major problems?

Thanks for helping.
    #1 - Do you know the conversion to US dollars?

#2 - How will the car be equipped and what's included on the "S" model since Suzuki doesn't sell that model here.

#3 - Don't know about Canada, but the Aveo is heavily discounted in the US. Looked at a 2005 with a sticker of $13,100 and they quoted $11,400 before any negotiating. Went with a lightly used 2004 instead for $8500.

#4 - Not finding the car to be super-reliable. Have had problems with timing belt, tensioner, brake rotors and suspension. Parts such as shocks, struts, bushings, exhaust, hoses etc. are available only from the dealers and with a wait since they're not stocked.

If you're looking for the ultimate reliability, go with Toyota, Honda or similar makes. They cost more up front, but will be cheaper to maintain and have high resale value. I put on high miles and worry that my car won't last anywhere near as long as my payments. There's no data on how these hold up as they age -- sort of a wild card. :confuse:
  • hdguyhdguy Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info wave54.

#1 - Its around $13,500 USD +/- a few hundred depending on the exchange rate that day. The base with manual, no a/c starts at about $11,000 USD. Price includes freight/PDI and both after $2750 CDN rebate from suzuki.

#2 - The "S" model is their top model, comes with extra power windows, door lock, power mirrors, alarm, fog lights, spoiler, stereo upgrade, painted moldings, alarm, A/C, Automatic and a few more minor cosmetics.

Anyhow, I put in my offer today and basically couldn't squeeze a penny off. And the dealership wants $300 for documentation. I'm not paying sticker price for this car, and $300 for some BS paper work. I think its time to choose another car.