Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What tlo fix on trade-in resale?

rthompson9310rthompson9310 Member Posts: 17
edited September 2016 in Subaru
All,

Looking to upgrade my subaru impreza. I have a couple of cosmetic issues that I need advice on whether to fix before trade-in or resale. plastic "chunck" missing in molding around drivers sideview mirror and a crack in the bumper- dead center where the louver is from hitting a large raccoon- the estimate on that years ago was 800-900 for the whole bumper.
Not sure on whether I will get a return for fixing these- otherwise a great car with low mileage, premium with sunroof etc
Thoughts??
RT

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If it's going to a dealer for a trade-in, I'd tend to say don't fix anything. The dealer can repair stuff a lot cheaper than you can. He knows this, you know this---so I'd spend more time negotiating with the dealer on the trade-in than I would fixing the car.

With a private party sale, first impressions are much more important. What is "no big deal" to a dealer might be very discouraging to a private buyer, who often views cosmetic issues as a sign of overall neglect.

Also, with a private buyer you are likely to get a better price for the car, which is more of an incentive to invest in it with a few repairs.

What year is this car?