Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,652
    G'day

Sort of Orphan Annie.

Peugeot 309 from about 1990.

When Peugeot bought the faint remnants of Chrysler Europe, they acquired the Ryton plant near Coventry and the plants in France. I think that this ws supposed to be badged as a Talbot, although Simca based. Logically, it should have been badged as a Peugeot 306, but being non Peugeot made, they called it a 309.

I know that I've driven one, belonging to a colleague, but have absolutely no recollection of it. I do recall that it looks like a sedan from the front and a hatchback from the rear.

A remarkably ungraceful design.

Cheers

Graham
    G'day

at first take, I thought some derivative of Fiat 124 Spyder, but proportions look larger. The grille and tyres make wonder it it is American.

Maybe some American one-off using mid 60's Italian design cues.

Very pretty

Cheers

Graham
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,705
    edited December 2012
    It has nothing in common with the Fiat 124 Spider, or any Fiat. You're correct about its origin, it was American-built in Oakland, California.

A hint: power came from the 3.5 Liter Buick V8 or the 5 Liter Buick V8 and it was built in coupe and spider versions.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,692
    That'd be Milt Brown and Newt Davis' Apollo sports car, Buick-powered, and given a lot of respect in the collector car world today. They are steel-bodied, and the car pictured here is quite rare---only 11 convertibles were made. The design should resemble an Italian car, as it was penned by Scaglione

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Yep, it's a rare 1962 Apollo GT Spider. Eventually production was shifted from California to Frank Reisner's Intermeccanica in Turin Italy.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,671
    edited December 2012
    '62 Dodge Dart 2-door, I don't know the particular trim level. We had a 4-door, so maybe that's why I don't see how it was particularly ugly, as some sites state. Especially in comparison to other early '60s cars, many of which can best be described as 'interesting'...
    texases -- we're trying to reach you. Contact Karen at karen@edmunds.com

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,624
    that's why I don't see how it was particularly ugly, as some sites state.

I dunno, when I see that pic I think of Jack LaLanne. Muscular and fit, but dude, lose the jumpsuit).

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

It's a very tortured design, IMO--it has no coherence. The front and back haven't been properly introduced. Reminds me of how a car might look if it were designed by 3 separate teams living in three different countries, each one assigned a part of the car--to be later glued together.

Yup, it's a 1962 Dodge 440 Max Wedge, pretty rare, pretty fast and pretty ugly.

I s'pose it's not that bad looking for a '62 MoPar but a little restraint would've gone a long way, which they eventually figured out>

At the risk of sounding like I think it's GOOD looking (I don't) I will take issue with "The front and back haven't been properly introduced"

If you compare them, you'll note the headlights and taillights match in configuration, with the same offset for both. More coordinated that some.

But good looking? Nope.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,254
    I guess I'm not as tough on the 62 Dodge Polara/Dart and sister Plymouth Shifty. The cars from Ford and GM were pretty simple in their style then (not that there weren't some really nice lookers because simplicity in design can be classic) and I think Mopar was trying to differentiate themselves. However, I do think they would have come out better on their originally conceived full sized platforms - but still been a bit quirky I suppose. You have to admit that the long nose and short deck lid they brought back became pretty common on midsize product a few years later. Also remember that Chrysler was somewhat successful with that canted full size big car design change in 1960 which also yielded a different looking car. Like them or not, I think those 62's at least grab some attention and can provoke some discussion.
    While that's labeled a Dart, it's not, I think it's a Polara (the rear fender is wrong for a Dart). Coincidentally, we owned a '63 Dodge Polara 4-door hardtop with a 383 'police' engine.
    I guess I'm not as tough on the 62 Dodge Polara/Dart and sister Plymouth Shifty. The cars from Ford and GM were pretty simple in their style then (not that there weren't some really nice lookers because simplicity in design can be classic) and I think Mopar was trying to differentiate themselves. However, I do think they would have come out better on their originally conceived full sized platforms - but still been a bit quirky I suppose. You have to admit that the long nose and short deck lid they brought back became pretty common on midsize product a few years later. Also remember that Chrysler was somewhat successful with that canted full size big car design change in 1960 which also yielded a different looking car. Like them or not, I think those 62's at least grab some attention and can provoke some discussion.
    While that's labeled a Dart, it's not, I think it's a Polara (the rear fender is wrong for a Dart). Coincidentally, we owned a '63 Dodge Polara 4-door hardtop with a 383 'police' engine.
    yeah, okay, I see your point about that---maybe it's all the useless gingerbread that gives me the sense of chaos or the lines going up down and sideways.

But yes, there is a sense of diagonally offset lights front and rear. So probably the people who designed the front of the car did look at the back of the car.

But you're also right, it's still ugly.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,469
    Fiat Dino 246 (C?) with the targa top.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,393
    Yup, it's a 1962 Dodge 440 Max Wedge, pretty rare, pretty fast and pretty ugly.

I have no argument with the 'ugly', but it would be a 413 Max Wedge. The 440 didn't show up until 1966.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 481
    I can't see what about the rear fender makes it not a Dart.
    edited December 2012
    You need to look at the full sized picture, the rear fender looks a lot different than this '63 Dart:

Instead, it has the dropping trim line like this Polara:

Also, I just noticed the Dart has the gas cap on the side, unlike the Polara (behind the license plate) in both pics.
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 481
    edited December 2012
    Well, I'll still put two chips on its being a Dart.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,393
    edited December 2012
    You need to look at the full sized picture, the rear fender looks a lot different than this '63 Dart

That's because '63 was the first year for the car you have pictured. In '62 Dodge used the Dart name on its downsized full-size line; Polara was just the name of the top trim level.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

Fiat Dino 246 (C?) with the targa top.

Nope, the Fiat Dino came as a coupe or spider, the purple car is the "Ferrari" version (branded as a "Dino" but not as a Ferrari) known as a Dino 246 GTS (steel top versions were badged as a 246 GT.)

I know the 63 Mopars had cleaner and more conventional lines (and sold better accordingly), but I still kind of like the quirkiness of the 62's. Probably the same reason I liked the 59 GM lineup or the 58 Edsel! But in aircraft I'll take the clean lines of a B707 over a DC8 any day. I know, no consistency whatsoever. :D

"Well, I'll still put two chips on its being a Dart. "

The second picture? The '63? Nope, no way. No filler cap. CANNOT BE A DART.
    G'day

Morris Minor 1000 Traveller from about 1960. I have never got the whole Woody thing

Cheers

Graham
    edited December 2012
    Morris Minor 1000 Traveller from about 1960.

That's right Graham. I think the choice of the name "Traveller" for Minor wagons was curious since Travellers are itinerant Irish nomads with a reputation for stealing and causing trouble around the British isles, the equivalent of naming a US wagon the "Hobo" or "Gypsy".

Woodie versions of the Mini wagon were called Travellers as well.