Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,948
    edited February 2013
    I've seen that actual Land Rover - it's the first pre-production model hence the central seating - I think only a few of those were made. Land Rover preserve it and it turns up at car shows etc.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,684
    If you've seen the actual LR maybe you can tell me how anyone is supposed to sit in that middle seat astride that very wide transmission case with the gearshift lever poking out of it. :sick:

Also I can't figure out where the lever is for the transfer case, is it one of those pull knobs in the dash or the small lever next to the right seat which looks like the hand brake? :confuse:

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

If you've seen the actual car perhaps you could tell me how anyone could possibly sit in the center seat behind the wide transmission hump with a gearshift sticking right out of it? :sick:

Also I can't figure out what they used to engage the transfer case, was it the small lever next to the right (driver's) seat which looks like a hand brake or one of the pull out knobs in the center dash. :sick:

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,928
    in the middle, early 60s beetle in front of a Benz Ponton.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,371
    in the middle, early 60s beetle in front of a Benz Ponton.

For some reason, the car behind the Beetle doesn't look like a Benz to me. My first impression was a Peugeot 403. In front of the Beetle it looks like a later Hillman Minx and the blue wagon across the street looks like a Vauxhall Victor or similar. However, keep in mind that I have lived in the US of A my entire life and my knowledge of cars from elsewhere is limited.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,950
    Yeah, the car near the Beetle is a 403. In front of the Beetle looks like a Ford Anglia 100E.

I will pick off a few - looks like a Riley parked near red umbrellas near the beach, a light colored Citroen DS near the middle, Near the woman at bottom right, a couple of Opel Rekords.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

new Mercedes Benz escalade pickup?

lol, I think that name is trademarked by Cadillac.

Got the brand right. :)

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,371
    Near the woman at bottom right, a couple of Opel Rekords.

I think you're right. They are Opels as opposed to Vauxhalls (my original guess).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    G class EXT LOL.

6x6.
    Hopefully only for The Arabian Peninsula and Russia - I don't want the local overmonied crowd traipsing around in something that big.
    I'm sure it would be featured in rap videos, too.
    Yep, notice how I cleverly picked the one photo that hid the rear wheels. :-)

Supposedly out in October and if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. :shades:

Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG 6x6 Six-Wheel Debuts

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,630
    G'day

The six wheel chassis arose from an Australian Army contract which is now slowly being delivered. Glad to see it is being used more widely. I love the driving lights above the cab. The G Wagon is remarkably long lived; first one that I saw had been captured by British forces from the Argentinians during the Falklands War and was repatriated to a British Military Museum. By the time I was in Britain in the 1990s they were faintly popular although always expensive.

Originally they were powered by lowish powered diesel and petrol engines and only seem to have scored the full AMG and G55 work over in recent times.

When MB Australia scored the contract with the Australian Army, they decided to try selling in Australia again. A product experience trip with journalists along the Canning Stock Route in Western Australia went horribly wrong. The shock absorbers on seven of eight G Wagons failed, the only intact one being the military specification Professional. Not a great launch experience! I suspect that MB slipped off to reconsider as I cannot recall seeing a civilian G Wagon around.

The military spec G Wag on is a different story. The base 4wd and 6wd chassis is built by Magna Steyr in Graz, then shipped to MB Australia, a couple of kilometres from me. They are then adapted to Australian army needs. The military spec vehicles are rugged and the contract has been expanded. They are a dramatic improvement on ancient LandRovers.

Cheers

Graham
    At least I know what the Taliban will be driving when they make a little money and run out of clapped-out Toyota PUs.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,243
    The Taliban should really lease.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Mercury Milan.

If the Fusion is a little too exciting for ya.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,828
    No money down and get the GAP insurance?
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

Those are three Ferraris from left to right:

Ferrari 400i, a 2+2 from the late 70-s IIRC, Enzo himself drove one.

Current model Ferrari California, a Folding hardtop design with none of the good looks and charisma of 250GT Spider California it was named after.

1960s Ferrari 330GTE/2+2, an underappreciated four passenger design from the golden era.

The 330 GT 2+2 is now dirt cheap at only $85-$125K

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Exactly! The 330 GT is a 4 headlight model. It was a semi permanent fixture there getting an ongoing mechanical restoration of sorts.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

I am probably alone in actually liking the 400 series, I think they look nice.

When I was in Cologne in November, there was one parked on the street all the time, rain or shine. Seemed risky, I bet they decompose fast.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,900
    At least I know what the Taliban will be driving when they make a little money and run out of clapped-out Toyota PUs.

Evidently you've never seen Top Gear trying to kill a Hi-Lux:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/killing-a-toyota
    "I am probably alone in actually liking the 400 series"

I've checked, and yes, you are. :P The latest Sports Car Market Price Guide gives it a "D" rating on "investment", the lowest rating there is;

HOWEVER (here comes the bright spot)--the fact that they are the cheapest Ferrari you can buy on the face of the earth ($19,000 can get you a clean driver) means that someone is bound to notice soon and they see the prospect of a 15% gain in value this coming year.

I like that angular 2+2 style, very chic for the period. I imagine one cruising around the French Riviera ca. 1983 with Duran Duran on the radio :shades:

I'd never buy one though, maintenance scares me.
    edited March 2013
    Figure $2 a mile in maintenance to keep an older Ferrari in use as a reliable driver.