Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,026
    Thanks. Didn't know they raced at night! Definitely need the light the way.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,744
    edited March 2013

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,301
    edited March 2013
    Hmm, not too far from me.

I will just pick off an obscured car, I think I see a ~64 T-Bird hiding behind the phone booth on the left.

Knowing this region, some of these cars are still around today.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,919
    edited March 2013
    I may be eating there next month (seems like the usual one we hit is further off the street and has all the old canoes hanging from the ceiling though). :shades:

Two Bugs and a Valiant.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    A mere photo quickens the pulse. :shades:
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,204
    edited March 2013
    The car on the street is a 1962 Cadillac.

The cars in the parking lot are a 1963 Pontiac Tempest, 1965 Rambler Classic wagon, 1962 Buick, early '60 Corvair wagon, VW Beetle, 1960-61 Valiant.

The car behind the Cadillac might be a 1965 Chrysler Newport.

The cars parked down the street appear to be a black 1960 DeSoto and a white VW Beetle.
    Funny thing, that Chrysler behind the Caddy is the same color as a 68 Newport that I can see right now from my front room window - probably the same car. Photo was probably taken in 1993, knowing some parts of Seattle.
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 489
    Cloudless sky in Seattle?
    Fort Lewis - Been there, done that.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,268
    Is that a Valiant or a Lancer. My view isn't all that clear, but it looks like the tail lights may be round?
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,863
    Can't believe no one mentioned it - the lady is about to get squished!
    Can't believe no one mentioned it - the lady is about to get squished!

Nah, Seattle's probably one of those places where traffic must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk. I once stepped off a curb in Hollywood CA and inadvertantly triggered a sound explosion as a soda truck screeched to a hold and several thousand glass bottles started clinking together.

I had every intention of letting him go by but being from out of state had no idea he was legally required to stop as soon as my foot hit the street. :P

Extra points if you can name the plane.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,693
    Bristol Freighter, that is. Not to be confused with the Bristol Fighter (aka Brisfit):
    Looks like Aston Martin DB2
    edited March 2013
    Looks like Aston Martin DB2

Close it's an Aston-Martin DB2/4.

The plane is indeed a Bristol Freighter, not to be confused with a Bristol Fighter :P >

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,664
    edited March 2013
    G'day

The first hatchback is an Aston Martin DB2/4

The Silver City Airways plane is a Bristol Freighter. It was supposed to be an airliner but came into its own as a Car Ferry between Britain and France. I think it flew between Cherbourg and Southampton. It really was a late '40s and '50s phenomenon. I doubt that anything below a Grand Tourer was ever carried.

Oddly, the Freighter pretty much established the concept of palletised cargo and thence, shipping containers, flying rail freight between the North and South Islands of New Zealand. New Zealand is not the centre of the universe, but frequently comes up with good ideas for complex problems.

My recollections of Southampton Airport are not good; on landing from a much delayed flight from Jersey, the plane lost a large portion of the ceiling onto my head. There is something surreal about farewelling a flight by handing big chunks of their plane back.

Cheers

Graham
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    A reporter is looking for eco-friendly solutions to extra storage/garbage containers in your car. If you have an eco-friendly solution to store toys, camping equipment, everyday gear or recyclable waste in your car, please send your ideas and contact info no later than Wednesday, 3/20/13 at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET to pr@edmunds.com.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,957
    There's always a bit of debate about the definition of "hatchback". Some purists insist that to be a real hatchback, the hatch has to open across the full width of the car, or tail light to tail light. IF one accepts THAT definition, then probably the MGB GT would be the first true "hatch".

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

edited March 2013
    Some purists insist that to be a real hatchback, the hatch has to open across the full width of the car, or tail light to tail light. IF one accepts THAT definition, then probably the MGB GT would be the first true "hatch".

We've already had this discussion but let me remind you that the Autobianchi Primula dates back to 1964, a year before MG introduced the hard roof version of the MG-B. The Primula was a pioneering effort that combined a hatchback with a transverse front-wheel drive layout.

I'm a big fan of the MGBGT but the forgotten Primula was the first real hatchback by most definitions and had a modern layout as well.

Oddly the two-door coupe versions did not have the big hatch. :shades:

The flags indicate the president of the Czech Republic.
    Skoda? Early 50s.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,957
    Yeah I think the Autobianchi has to get status as the world's first production hatchback, and the MGB GT (probably) as the first to be marketed in the USA. I've really tried to research this question as to when the MGB GT first was introduced to the public in an auto show but can't quite pin it down. Given that the first production car's VIN dates to Oct '65, you'd have to give the nod, so far, to the Italian.

The back ends bear some resemblance to each other....hmmm...and the Primula *almost* did win "European Car of the Year" --edged out by the Austin 1800 (oh, dear).

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

edited March 2013
    Yup, it's a 1948 Skoda VOS, most of which went to government officials.

Our first family car was a 1947 Frazer. There's such a strong resemblance between the VOS and a 4'7-'48 Kaiser/Frazer that it has to be more than coincidental>

-1948 Frazer Manhattan

Interesting that, unlike the USA, the country flag is on the driver's side.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,204
    ...I always considered this the first hatchback:

...I always considered this the first hatchback:

That works for me, those probably had more cargo space than a Tahoe or Yukon.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,693
    For me 'hatchback' doesn't include a tailgate.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,141
    can anyone ID this dash?

I'm asking because I honestly don't know...to me it looks almost home-made, like out of a customized car or something. Also, bonus points if you recognize what tv show that frame grab is off of...
    Wood + toggle switches + weird controls + funky radio= British - many 60s era British cars are kind of kit car like, even if they are production models :shades: