Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    fintail said:

the earliest K-Gs had lower set headlights and smaller intake holes in the front, like this:

After no more than a couple years, the more typical style replaced it:

I too see the oval Beetle, and the fintail is a W111, then a late model car.

andys120 said:

I'm not conversant with the difference between early/late Type 1 K-Gs can you enlighten me?

Speaking of Type 1s, the Beetle foreground is a '58 or newer w bigger back wndow and across the way is one with the oval window ('52-'57?).

Nice Fintail near it.

Thanks, Fin

I'm not sure I've ever noticed the "low light version" but it is prettier IMO than the later versions.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,147
    This is a Monteverdi - 375L ?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979
    edited December 2020
    From the Huntington Library in So Cal, a 1966 shot of a parking lot in L.A. at 7th and Flower Sts. Expands some.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    2 early Falcons sandwiching a newer Nova. With a nice 356 Porsche next to the white one.

Spridget with the snap on cover, next to a red sports car which to me looks like a Sunbeam.

and man, were Beetles popular back then!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    Laughable price for parking, especially for "small cars".

Not a small car, the 65 Impala 4 door HT "sport sedan" driving away from the camera.
    Way off to left there's a red sports convertible, might be an Alfa Giulietta/Giulia Spider.

In foreground the optional vinyl roof of a Mustang.

Daihatsu Rocky?

Happy New Year everybody

This looks like a Mitsubishi Pajero
    From the Huntington Library shot I can see the Alfa Spider in the distance but there is another red car beyond it which is the other way round so we see the rear wing. That looks like a Fiat 2300 Coupe - probably not at all common there
    magnette said:

Happy New Year everybody

This looks like a Mitsubishi Pajero

That's what it is.

I rather like this:

There was a rally-esque Pajero Evolution in the 90s, that's the one to have (should just about be legal for imports into the US with the idiotic 25 year rule now):

Pajero was the name for most markets including the JDM but in the US it was the Mitsubishi Montero and the Dodge version was sold as the Raider.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    I came across this pic on a facebook page.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Early 50s Hillman Minx.
    Should be a few things to pick out - Seattle World's Fair parking lot:

edited January 2021
    That is a Healey Tickford - circa 1952. One of these won there Monte Carlo Rally around then - driven by Donald Healey, I think.

I have a model of that actual car - same registration plate as in the picture - PUA 304 - sorry for lousy picture

That Hillman would probably be a Minx phase IV due to the separate sidelights beneath the headlights and the style of the front bumper - Rootes tended to restyle the Minx every year, unlike most British firms
    magnette said:

That is a Healey Tickford - circa 1952. One of these won there Monte Carlo Rally around then - driven by Donald Healey, I think.

I had never seen nor heard of these before seeing that picture. I think it is a very elegant vehicle.

edited January 2021
    fintail said:

Should be a few things to pick out - Seattle World's Fair parking lot:

'59 Buick two-dr h/t. No portholes that year. o it's right a '60 Chevrolet (Kingswood?) wagon.
    I wonder what the small trim peice ahead of the front wheel is?

Stock photo from Alamy so apologies for the watermarks, but a nice shot of a nice day in the early '70s in the King of Prussia, PA area. Expands some.

Nice photo which illustrate a diversity of colors that once existed in the automotive fleets.Note that there are only a half dozen white cars and that the most popular color seems to be blue.

The lime green car in foreground has me buffaloed. I think it's either a Ford or Mercury. I think it's a ragtop but it could be a vinyl steel top.

i noticed the "Horn and Hardart Retail Shop". H&H was the parent of the Automat resteraunts
    my dad took me to in the 50s. i imagine the retail shops sold the same food without the little slots.

The Automat format originally began in Berlin, there were once 40 of then in NY city, mostly in Manhattan. I'm trying to convince a friend who owns multiple Wendy's stores that they will eventually go to an Automat style format w food prepared by robots.

lime green car front left is an early 70's dodge challenger with a vinyl top.

center of picture is a nice green Maverick. Maybe a GT of some sort (not sure of the trim names) based on black stripe and the wheels.

under the Alamy mark is a tan 4 door import. I think it is an Opel Kadett.

edited January 2021
    stickguy said:

lime green car front left is an early 70's dodge challenger with a vinyl top.

Swing and a foul ball, strike one. It is a Challenger, but it's a convertible.
    center of picture is a nice green Maverick. Maybe a GT of some sort (not sure of the trim names) based on black stripe and the wheels.

Swing and a miss, strike two. The quasi-sports Maverick model in this era was the Grabber, but this isn't that.That sort-of bumblebee stripe has to be an owner add-on, along with the wheels.
    under the Alamy mark is a tan 4 door import. I think it is an Opel Kadett.

Down two strikes and with the pressure on, you come up with a solid base hit up the middle! I think that's exactly right.

5 cars to the right of the apparent Opel appears to be a Volvo 144, and maybe a Rambler Marlin beside that.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,464
    fintail said:

5 cars to the right of the apparent Opel appears to be a Volvo 144, and maybe a Rambler Marlin beside that.

Yessir, that's a 144. My parents had one that looked like that color. A '68 with an automatic. Slowest car I've ever driven (and I once owned a Rabbit diesel).

I would guess that the car next to it is an early Charger. I don't see the medallion that I think all Marlins had on the hatch.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

edited January 2021
    Reminds me of the 1981 Consumer Guide I have stashed away somewhere. They tested a Volvo (245?) diesel
    automatic wagon, 0-60 was something like 25-27 seconds. I suspect that's no better, or even worse than something like a 200D fintail automatic.

I think you're right on the Charger, the little rear fender nubs/fins look like one, too.
    bhill2 said:

Yessir, that's a 144. My parents had one that looked like that color. A '68 with an automatic. Slowest car I've ever driven (and I once owned a Rabbit diesel).

I would guess that the car next to it is an early Charger. I don't see the medallion that I think all Marlins had on the hatch.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    edited January 2021

I agree, a ‘67 Charger has the wider rear window
    bhill2 said:

We had a '68 144 automatic too and I won't argue with you on how slow it was. Dad loved it though. Ours was the butterscotch color they offered. That was the car that had a shipping container full of scotch whiskey fall off the trailer as he approached it on a curve and bounce off the Volvo's roof. All it seemed to do was take the crown out of the roof panel. I think that incident was what made him love it as he figured it saved his life.

• Lostwrench3Lostwrench3 Member Posts: 735
    bhill2 said:

fintail said:

I also had a Rabbit diesel. I loved that car. I got 289,000 miles out of it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    edited January 2021

bhill2 said:

fintail said:

I also had a Rabbit diesel. I loved that car. I got 289,000 miles out of it.
    Met a guy at a local Cars N Coffee that races a Rabbit diesel in the LeMons series.
    He says everyone is making pit stops for repairs and fuel, and they just keep going right on by..

Wait a minute.... that might be a Chevette diesel, now that I think about it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

At Seattle World Fair beyond the rear of the Buick is a blue/white Rambler Cross Country Wagon and on the same row of cars but to the right is a Pinkish / white Chevrolet wagon which has four doors so I think its a 210 Townsman - the trim would be wrong for a BelAir
    well, Lemons is more about keeping going, not speed, so that makes sense.

There is - or was until lockdown - a "Festival of the Mediocre" in Britain although I have never got to it. Cars like Allegros, Ladas, Vivas, and odd Fiats or early Japanese cars - one winner was a Toyota Corolla
    edited January 2021
    @bhill2

For slow driving the 2CV was exceptional but it was not actually my car - I just had use of it - it was comfortable though

My Morris Minor Traveller (my first car) was pretty slow too

Smallest was the 600cc Fiat Seicento but that was nippy in traffic as it weighed nothing and had a turbo
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,464
    edited January 2021
    magnette said:

At Seattle World Fair beyond the rear of the Buick is a blue/white Rambler Cross Country Wagon and on the same row of cars but to the right is a Pinkish / white Chevrolet wagon which has four doors so I think its a 210 Townsman - the trim would be wrong for a BelAir

Good catch, Magnette. I am a Rambler aficionado, but I missed that one. The side sweep makes it a '59, and the contrasting color within the chrome outline means it is likely a top trim Custom, although that was an option on the next trim level down (the Super). In any case, well done.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

edited January 2021
    If you can get your eyes off the pitcher, this early ‘70s picture from the Americar FB group showing Playland in San Francisco has an interesting assortment of vehicles in the background.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    edited January 2021
    56 Buick Roadmaster Super whatever the name with the 4 portholes front center. And behind the brunk of the beetle is a 60 Chevrolet wagon. Maybe a 59, but without looking it up something just says "1960" to me.

Edit: The 56 Buick has the trim missing in front of the rear wheel which helps distinguish the Roadmaster from the Super and it looks like it has a small eyebrow extra trim over the windshield, so I'll go with Roadmaster.

I believe the side body shape of the Chev wagon is what says 1960.

Had to go look them up. These are from my teenage years when I was a car fanatic.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Beside the hippie Buick is a Mazda RX-2, really collectible now.
    The car next to the Mazda is a mid-60s Rover 2000TC(P6), these were later upgraded w Buck V8 power and sold as the Rover 3500 in the US

I shouldn't guess since I am always wrong, but far left car I think is a Renault. But maybe a Simca?

@stickguy

That is a Renault R10 - at least that's what it was sold here as.
    edited January 2021
    This is apparently taken in 1967 in Surfside Beach South Carolina

Sorry its a bit unclear but it does expand a bit

@bhill2

I find the complexity of the ranges of 50s / 60s US cars quite difficult to work out so I tend to pick on the oddities or on specific manufacturers - Ramblers tend to look a bit different from the big 3 but I think with lockdown and having stopped work anyway I am looking at more pictures to try and recognise more.
    It isn't like looking at a British car park where I will have seen the cars in real life, as we didn't get that many of your cars here
    I spot a couple oldies - shoebox 49-50 Ford in the middle of the second row from left, in the middle of the 5th row from left looks like an early 50s Studebaker sedan, and beside that, a Jag XK150.
    magnette said:

magnette said:

I hate to be "that guy", @magnette , but I posted that Surfside pic back in September. And you even responded to it! :smile::p

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,229
    57 Ford, 59 Ford, 60 Ford, 58/60 Thunderbird, previously mentioned 49/50 Ford.
    Oldest is prolly the Shoebox 4d (1949-51). Newest are 1965 Vintage: 2dr Chevy h/t and a
    white '65 Ford parked next to '59 Chevy wagon. Can't tell if the dark Pontiac GP is a '63 or '64. Really like either.

edited January 2021
    @ab348

Sorry about that - I really didn't realise

I think I'm going to say I had a senior moment