Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    edited February 6

@MrShift@Edmunds said: Extra points if you can identify the occupants AND the car:

His younger brother's date was less successful...

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,613

G'day

NSU Ro 80. I used to think the one I passed on way to church in the 1970's was the most desirable car imaginable. Pity thast reliability of the engine was its weak point as everything else was so wonderful.

Cheers

Graham

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,750

I sure don't remember the 131 badge but our next door neighbor decided not to buy the Toyota or Datsun he had been considering and bought a 131 instead. Same color as the yellow one in that photo.

The car was a total pile of junk and he was soon to regret his decision.

Fiat left the US market with their tails between their legs leaving owners to fend for themselves.

Ah, but they returned and now own Chrysler. Go figure!

Americans have short memories.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,638

that baby needs an alignment.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• wgraferwgrafer Posts: 592

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a "reply" button? Oh well.. the car looks like a '50 MG TD with Jack & Jackie. Sadly, brother Teddy's Chappaquadik brave moment involved a '69 Olds. RIP Mary Jo Kopechne.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,224

Peugeot 505? It's a little fuzzy on my monitor..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,643

2-tone>

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

An Andre special! I'll still take a stab.

1978 Dodge mirada?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 5,664

@wgrafer said: Wouldn't it be nice if there was a "reply" button?

Use the "quote" button to reply to a post.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108

Looks like a NSU 80 late 60s to late 70s.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

edited February 7

@stickguy said: An Andre special! I'll still take a stab.

1978 Dodge mirada?

Close, it's the badge-engineered fraternal twin of the Mirada, a 1979 Chrysler Cordoba.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    edited February 7

That's the "300" version of the car I think, not built in real large quantities IIRC.

Geez, the front end really resembles a '76 Monte Carlo IMHO.

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 476
    edited February 7
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 476
    edited February 7

Cordoba with the fine Corinthian leather from Newark, N.J.?

New>

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,816

Japanese Taurus B)

Next Subaru legacy?

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,861
    edited February 7

Old. (Click to blow it up).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

@Stever@Edmunds said: Old. (Click to blow it up).

Datsun 510 (JDM Blue Bird)

@stickguy said: Next Subaru legacy?

Yup, 2015 IIRC

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,861
    edited February 8

@andys120, yep, fun youtube.com although more sliding in the dirt would have been even more fun - Desert Showdown: 2011 Nissan Juke vs. 1971 Datsun 510.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited February 8

Weird but cool>

It's a race car but it shouldn't be hard to figure what it's based on. The guy at the wheel is Max Hoffman who practically created the Euro Auto business in the US. How 'bout those wheels? They are apparently actual 1950s racing wheels.

@andys120 said: Weird but cool>

It's a race car but it shouldn't be hard to figure what it's based on. The guy at the wheel is Max Hoffman who practically created the Euro Auto business in the US. How 'bout those wheels? They are apparently actual 1950s racing wheels.

It is Porsche 356 based. The wheels seem to predate that Porsche style which was still hanging around for the early 911s, drilling circular holes in a dished pressed steel wheel. However, they look more cartoon spaceship than anything else

The marking around the cockpit seems to suggest a removed front screen and side curtains, rather than actual windows

Anyone able to give a more accurate idea

Cheers

Graham

G'day

Now for something completely different

Cheers

Graham

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494

@wgrafer said: Wouldn't it be nice if there was a "reply" button? Oh well.. the car looks like a '50 MG TD with Jack & Jackie. Sadly, brother Teddy's Chappaquadik brave moment involved a '69 Olds. RIP Mary Jo Kopechne.

I agree with the sentiment, but that's a '67 Olds.

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,010

Looks like a Moke.

edited February 9

@tmart said: Looks like a Moke.

G'day

Yes a Mini Moke with a slightly odd history, driven 30,000km from London to Sydney in a Marathon across, Europe, Asia and Australia. It ultimately ran 35th in a highly competitive event which had more than its share of bizarre event.

More "Wacky Races" than motor race, there were several candidates for the role of Dick Dastardly - but sadly, no Muttley!

By the time that it reached Perth it was seven days late so the organizer decreed that the Australian leg would be run as a seven day continuous drive, rather than the fourteen days expected. The last finisher turned up about nine weeks late.

Cheers

Graham

• magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,947

@grahampeters said: Graham

Did that Marathon start here from Covent Garden some time in about 1983 -6? I went to the start of that - I remember one car went down the road three hundred yards and got lost - they came back about ten minutes later. There were some really unusual cars in that event - especially from our perspective, as quite a few were models not made here....

@magnette said: Did that Marathon start here from Covent Garden some time in about 1983 -6? I went to the start of that - I remember one car went down the road three hundred yards and got lost - they came back about ten minutes later. There were some really unusual cars in that event - especially from our perspective, as quite a few were models not made here....

The London Sydney Marathon was in 1977, following an earlier one in 1968. I think there have been later ones in 1993 and more recently but these have been unable to go through Iraq.

The route went from Covent Garden Opera House to Sydney Opera House, so the start point is right; you are just older than you thought!

Cheers

Graham

• magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,947

@grahampeters said: Graham

Come to think of it I was at college when I went so it was 1977 - I remember the one in the sixties that the Hillman Hunter won (I saw the car at the subsequent Motor SHow in London) but was a kid in Wales then.