Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    My understanding is that Honda, along with some other Japanese makers, didn't want to pay Bosch royalties for the fuel injection technology. That's why they kept carbs so long, creating the crazy rat's nest of vacuum hoses many of them had as a result.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Society, in general, wasn't quite as rabid about cutting carbs as they are now.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

My Stepbrother’s first car was an 87 LXi. It was fuel injected.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Sunset Strip, 1985 - should zoom well enough to pick out a few:

• Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472

bhill2 said:

My 81 Rabbit diesel had a hammering 51HP. That one was a real screamer.

Me too, a1980 non turbo diesel rabbit purchased new.
    With no passengers, zero to sixty, 26 seconds.
    I loved that car.
    Final mileage, 289,000 miles. I knew a guy who got 400,000 miles on his.
    I loved mine too. It got me through grad school with 42 MPG and not a hiccup. My only frustration with it was that I was in So Cal and had relatives in No Cal. Between us was Tejon pass. Got used to the scenery along that stretch. When I met my future wife, we took the trip in her 78 TBird with a 400 ci engine. I don't think it noticed Tejon pass.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Looks like an Alfa GTV in front of the Volvo 260. Next to a C10 that is probably the most valuable car in the shot today!

'54 Ford Fairlane under the KIIS? the white one. Looks Ford to me but slightly like a Rambler in the taillight area too.

3 back on the Left behind the corolla coupe looks like a gen 1 Jetta.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,242
    edited May 2023

It may be a Ford Fairlane but it’s not a 54. A 54 didn’t have a square roof line. Also, the Fairlane began in 55. In 54 it was the Crestline.

• Options

More like a ‘57 Ford.

• Options

@texases said:
    More like a ‘57 Ford.

Don’t think so. The only square top in 57 was on the Skyliner hardtop convertible.

• Options
    I think the Fairlane under the sign is a 62-63
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    edited May 2023
    On Sunset, I see a Chevy Cit-AAA-tion.

https://youtu.be/9VzdgDh9Ilg

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392

texases said:

Same with my '83 GTI, a bit over 2000 lbs, I think, and geared SHORT. So it was great 0-70 or so, and handled well. I got 25 mpg, in town or on the highway.

That short-gearing was the reason I didn't keep mine for very long. It was great for city traffic but annoying on the highway (3500rpm @ 70 mph IIRC).

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    Yep, around 3500 rpm. It spent most of its life in Anchorage, was my commuting car, so very few highway miles.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    Eldorado behind the Volvo

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    White Ford Econoline. Appears to have windows on the side so it could be a Club Wagon.
  • Options
    And ahead of the Econoline, a TC at right and what looks like a 69-70 Mustang at left.

Here's a fun one, I see this on my jogging route. Can't see a thing under the cover, but I looked at old street view images and found it - it has been there for over a decade. Hint: a typical state for this kind of car. The front end has kind of a prow, and it has a malaise railroad tie bumper:

• Options

Dodge Dart Swinger.

• Options

@fintail said:
    Think something with a rep for being much less reliable. Less American, too.

Mid 70s Jag XJ?

• Options
    Pivoting to vehicles that are actually visible to the naked eye, here is a late '60s shot of some town out west, possibly Utah. Zooms some.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    68 Torino GT closest to the camera.
    Nest lane closer to the curb, 65 Impala, possibly followed by a 68 Impala, a 66 and 67 trailing it.
    Picture gets kind of fuzzy that far back.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

Nash coming toward camera In the intersection.

• Options
    stickguy said:

@fintail said:

Think something with a rep for being much less reliable. Less American, too.

Mid 70s Jag XJ?

Good eye (or good guess)!

I had been thinking it was an E21 or something, as the front end looks like it has a forward rake, but I couldn't see much. Then it finally dawned on me to check streetview:

It's a Series III.
  • Options
    In the apparent Utah city, driving away, 2 in front of the Beetle is a 63 Chevy likely a Bel Air, and what looks like a 65 Ford in front of that.
  • Options
    educated guess from the hints, and the nose looking pretty low.

• Options
    Today is Mt. St. Helens day - 43 years ago. Here's a pic from Moses Lake, with a few vehicles that should be identifiable - zooms fair enough (I remember this K-Mart clearly when I was a kid)

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Hard to believe it is that long ago already! That's an impressive amount of ash for the distance, though I think Moses Lake was right in the path of the prevailing winds after that eruption. I don't recall really getting any ash in northeastern Oregon, but I do remember some absolutely spectacular sunsets and my parents saying that it was because of the eruption.

1971 (possibly 72) GMC 3/4 ton. Most likely a C20 based on how high it is sitting, but I can't see the front axle to tell if it is a 4WD.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    Rabbit beside the GMC.

As luck would have it, I was on a plane from LA to Seattle when it happened. I got to have a late night visit to the airport in Vancouver BC, where there were, of course, no border agents. After a considerable time in a small (for a planeful of people), we got a long bus ride to Seattle. At the border and agent came on and asked "Did any of you folks buy anything in Canada?" One passenger replied "We couldn't even get a g--d---- cup of coffee in Canada." The agent said "You folks have a nice trip", and beat a hasty retreat.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options

Celica front and center.

Might be a Datsun B210 hatch up by the building

• Options
    Someone with a bicycle outside the entrance to the store.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,201
    We visited MSH in 2017, while on vacation. It's an impressive and sobering story.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    What I find interesting is the large cloud of ash to the left of the pic. Is that coming off the roof I wonder?

• Options
    ab348 said:

What I find interesting is the large cloud of ash to the left of the pic. Is that coming off the roof I wonder?

There is a guy on the roof. Might be brooming it off.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    My MSH-adjacent memory - Harry's restaurant in Anchorage, good place, named after Harry Truman, who refused to evacuate MSH.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

Hard to believe it is that long ago already! That's an impressive amount of ash for the distance, though I think Moses Lake was right in the path of the prevailing winds after that eruption. I don't recall really getting any ash in northeastern Oregon, but I do remember some absolutely spectacular sunsets and my parents saying that it was because of the eruption.

1971 (possibly 72) GMC 3/4 ton. Most likely a C20 based on how high it is sitting, but I can't see the front axle to tell if it is a 4WD.

Yes, there seemed to be a direct line between Yakima and Moses Lake where ashfall was highest - inches. Spokane maybe got an inch, and places to the south a dusting. I have no clear memory of eruption day, but I remember the aftermath, the ash stuck around for a few years, in mounds that resembled slightly dirty snow. It seemed to sink into the ground, you could get just below the surface and find an ash layer.

Here are some now obscure cars in Ephrata:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Interesting timing on this, but Helens I think celebrated #43 in her own way. My son and I drove through there almost exactly a year prior. It was such a perfect day, too!

https://youtu.be/MmMPECwYJmY?t=100

Yeah, I have no memory of the eruption except for just recalling being wowed by the vast, intense orange of the sky at sunset. Looking out across the valley while pressing my nose against the sliding glass door....
  • Options
    xwesx said:

Interesting timing on this, but Helens I think celebrated #43 in her own way. My son and I drove through there almost exactly a year prior. It was such a perfect day, too!

https://youtu.be/MmMPECwYJmY?t=100

Yeah, I have no memory of the eruption except for just recalling being wowed by the vast, intense orange of the sky at sunset. Looking out across the valley while pressing my nose against the sliding glass door....

I hadn't heard about that, interesting - mother nature making sure we know she is there. I've been up to Johnston Ridge both in terrible and good weather. As I was interested in it when I was a kid, every time is a treat. I also hiked around Spirit Lake in 1995 - still pretty barren then compared to now.
  • Options
    texases said:

My MSH-adjacent memory - Harry's restaurant in Anchorage, good place, named after Harry Truman, who refused to evacuate MSH.

What year was this?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

This was ‘83-‘95. I don’t know when it closed.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    A real menagerie here in Aberdeen WA on March 15, 1960 (zooms well):

• Options
    1960 Mercury front right. Might still have the Monroney sticker on the side window.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    ab348 said:

1960 Mercury front right. Might still have the Monroney sticker on the side window.

I had to look it up - I hadn't realized the Monroney sticker was introduced that early.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    I guess that Studebaker uses the park by sound method.
  • Options
    texases said:

This was ‘83-‘95. I don’t know when it closed.

What I meant to ask: When did Harry Truman refuse to evacuate MSH?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
  • Options
    52/54 Ford at right, 57 Ford Fairlane 500.
  • Options
    Suddenly it's 1960. Wait, it IS 1960!

• Options
    ab348 said:

Suddenly it's 1960. Wait, it IS 1960!

'60 Ford

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    texases said:
    Ahh.. Not sure how I didn't know that.

I was confused. I thought maybe there was an earlier threat of eruption, while he was president, and he was refusing to evacuate residents.

This makes a lot more sense. :D

My ignorance is multiplied by the fact that I've toured Truman's Little White House in Key West. And, that's after I'd been to MSH, just three years before. You would think I'd take note of that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator