Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That one looks ok. The smaller lights do make the grille look smaller, but it is the two piece lights that spoil the non-Grand Cherokee.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    My dad's Olds Custom Cruiser wagon was not a great car but it was a whole lot better.

Try to take Dad's Custom Cruiser off-roading, or chain it to a tree stump and keep it in low to pull it up, and you'll see the advantage of the Wagoneer.

My uncle had a '76 Jeep pickup, built on the same platform as the Wagoneer, and that thing was tough! Yeah, it squeaked and rattled, and the bed rusted out. But it made most modern pickups back then (this was the early 90's that he had it) and today look like pretty princess poseurs in comparison.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Off road, no, but we definitely pulled some tree stumps, and towed a 19' ski boat.
  • It would be brutal towing with that Jeep today, at today's pump prices.
    edited February 2013
    What was the biggest engine you could get in one of those Jeeps, anyway? IIRC, AMC never had a true big block. Instead, I think they had one basic engine that spanned across something like 290, 304, 343, 360, 390, and 401 CID? Sorta like how the Olds "smallblock" ranged from 260 to 403 CID?

My uncle's '76 Jeep had an AMC 360 and a 4-speed stick. Dunno what kind of economy it got, as he rarely drove it long distances.
  • magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,884
    edited February 2013

Bonus point for guessing where it is registered.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    I think you've got it. :)

No clue on the car, other than we called similar body styles "whale cars" when I was growing up.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,272
    Oh man; a Volvo 544. Those were tough, especially with the B18 engine (red badge on the trunk lid).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,360
    Remember, those "Grand Cherokees" of 'back then' (nee 'Wagoneer') came out in the 1963 model year!

Hard to compare with anything later, but even my wife always loved them. There used to be a guy who advertised in Hemmings called 'the Jeepsterman" who bought, sold, and refurbished Wagoneers up to Grand Cherokees. He was in Texas I think. I'll have to look at the latest Hemmings I've bought to see if he still is in there.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,914
    edited February 2013
    Volvo PV444/544, can't see the front details, which is how I tell them apart. I'd guess the B engine badge means it is later, so 544.

I am 99% certain that's a license plate from Iceland.
    I like them. Well, I think they are nice to look at. Have never driven one, but the styling is pleasing to me.
    Tiny pic! ;)

Looks Austin A40 based.
    Remember, those "Grand Cherokees" of 'back then' (nee 'Wagoneer') came out in the 1963 model year!

Yeah, and because of that, those Wagoneers, and the pickup truck versions, were smaller than their competition in the 70's, when trucks got larger. For instance, I could tell that Granddad's '85 Silverado (which dated to 1973) was notably bigger inside than my uncle's '76 Jeep pickup. But, that Jeep just had a ruggedness about it that the Silverado lacked.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,360
    They originally ('60's) called those Wagoneer-based pickups the "Gladiator" (which I like), but I think later they started calling them J-2000's or something like that. I know, that sounds like an '82 Pontiac version of the Cavalier, so I might have it wrong.
    At some point they started calling them "Honcho", but I don't know if they did that in '76.
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 676
    I liked the old "Gladiator" Jeep trucks too. I think they just called them "Jeep trucks" after that but you could order custom trim options that were probably just decals and minor trim.

Scroll down this page of Jeep pics tagged 1978 to see Jeep trucks trimmed in "Honcho," "Golden Eagle," and "10-4" trim. I wonder if the 10-4 version came with a CB radio and a 102" steel whip!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    yeah, that pic did not come out right. Just more of a challenge!

it is a 1950 Austin A40 countryman.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)