Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,884
    edited March 2013
    Yes Graham - It's a Hino Contessa - they revised the model and this is the later version so mid-60s I believe. Hino built the Renault 750 under licence prior to the first Contessa, and I have seen one of those - but the later one was apparently sold in Nethelands, Belgium etc when it was current - Hino never sold cars in Britain even though as an RHD market they would have been fine here, but to be fair by the time the Japanese carsstarted to break through here they were merging with Toyota.
    The van is a Bedford HA - the commercial version of the first Vauxhall Viva. As a car the Viva HA was on sale from about 1963 to 67, but the van went on in this form until the mid-70's
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,916
    edited March 2013
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,067
    1965 or 1966 Rambler Marlin.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,325
    edited March 2013
    What on earth was AMC thinking with the Marlin? IMHO, even the emblem was kind of dorky! However, I will say the '67 was better-looking IMO although they are even more-rarely seen than the '65 and '66. The Marlin was designed by Richard Teague, formerly of Packard styling in Detroit. He joked in an interview once that he was paid in Marlin decklids for the job! ;)
    edited March 2013
    That was fast (back). :shades: The Wiki contributor pegs it a '65. Another shot:

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 432
    From two printed advertisements from the 60s............

"Marlin by Rambler - Newest of the Sensible Spectaculars".

"Introducing excitement! The swinging new man-size sports fastback - MARLIN!"

I like the car.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,067
    Look how tiny that decklid is!
    I like the taillights, and I like that the cars are rarely seen.

Seems like they cribbed "Marlin" from "Barracuda", though. Not real original.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    something went horribly wrong.... :cry:
    I hate to say it, though, but I think I see some Chrysler Crossfire coupe and even '14 Corvette Stingray coupe in the way that fastback roofline is done--looking on from straight-on in the back, that is!

Trust me, I always 'goofed' on Marlins when I was a kid, but I do think there are some similarities!
    Well sure there must be some lines or trim pieces on the car that evoke more successful styles, but overall the car is shockingly unattractive...the design is incoherent and clumsy IMO.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,423
    The Marlin was a really odd combination of a sedan with a fastback. I remember my dad's Automobile Quarterly article, "Marlin - a Fish Out of Water" (or something like that).

Here's a good article on the Marlin
    We're not getting far with this so a clue - it's French.
  • berriberri Posts: 3,998
    something went horribly wrong

Actually, I believe this was a management screw up, sort of an inversion from the 62 Mopar downsizing fiasco. The Marlin was originally designed for the smaller American chassis, but management decided it needed to take on the successful Big 3 mid sized coupe market, so it was hastily stretched out onto the bigger Rambler chassis. Personally, I think it would have looked better as a smaller coupe, but I guess AMC had it's Javelin pony car and decided it needed to focus larger. Automotive design history is always very interesting!
    1948 Peugot 202 Berline?
    that makes sense, although I'm not sure what they could have done with such an awkward design, even if it were downsized. The first Barracuda was no winner either.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,270
    Actually, the American-based car (called the Tarpon) was fairly good looking (IMHO of course). Apparently Roy Abernathy decreed that it be transferred to the mid-sized Classic chassis because he wanted to offer a V-8 and AMC didn't have one that fit the American. The irony, of course, is that AMC introduced new V-8s late in the next model year that did fit. Anyway, in addition to the fact that all of the styling had to be redimensioned to fit on the larger chassis, it had to be done on an expedited basis. The result was, well, a disaster. But from what I have heard, so was Roy Abernathy.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

Not a Peugeot, although I can see why the radiator grille looks a bit like that..
    I dunno...aside from a few sculpture lines I don't see the Tarpon as much better. The whole thing is ...well....ungainly.....it looks like Karl Rove in a speedo eating pizza. :P
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,270
    edited March 2013
    I dunno...aside from a few sculpture lines I don't see the Tarpon as much better.

Well like I said, IMHO. I never saw the prototype in person (as it were) but from photos it looked better proportioned than the Marlin and attractive enough to sell in reasonable numbers. Given the way the Marlin sold it could scarcely have done worse.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)