Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Reminds me of my next door neighbors Baracuda back in the 80s & my brother giving them a hard time about the wife having an old car. (Hubby had a brand new Porche). Now we laugh as adults cause we realize it was a classic and not just an old car!
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,379
    My guess is a ZA though although I'm not sure why...

Imcdb.com says it is a 1957 MG Magnette ZB from the TV series Call The Midwife.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,916
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    You would think an ATS wouldn't work for someone with 3 kids.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

Reese's nanny drives a minivan, I'm sure. :shades:

It's a 2013 btw.
    edited June 2013
    why anyone would take a picture of such a prosaic scene let alone save it but here for your enjoyment is a parking lot in Chicago ca. 197?>

Notice-not a single import, no Asians or Eurocars...wait I think I see one!
  • slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 241
    Is it possible to drive safely with those shoes?

:confuse:
    The sooner self-driving autonomous cars get here, the better. :shades:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,887
    Is that an Audi Fox I spot beside the lowline 69 Ford 2 door sedan?
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,067
    Closest car appears to be a 1966 Buick LeSabre. The brown and white car is a 1975 Chevrolet Chevelle.

In the background: I see a 1964 Chevrolet, 1962-63 Chevrolet Chevy II, 1969 Ford Custom 500, Audi Fox, 1973 or 1974 Oldsmobile Omega, 1975 Chervrolet full-size wagon, a GM Colonnade sedan next to it.

Furthest back: Gold 1971-72 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1975 Ford Torino, what may be a blue 1968 or 1969 Buick LeSabre.
    Great job as usual Lem and you even spotted the sole import in the scene, that's the long-forgotten Audi Fox. Outside North America it was the original Audi 80 (B1) and it was very important design. The later VW Golf Mk.1 used much of the drivetrain of the B1 except that the engine got turned sideways.
    edited June 2013
    Looks like you guys are gonna need help on the slick little coupe in #37129 so here's a few clues.

The car is the first effort for a builder who became famous mostly for modifying other people's cars. Only 3 were built.

The styling was one of Vignale's early efforts, he often used portholes back then. Note the small "V" on the lower fender

The chassis were modified Cisitalia units obtained at a discount from the then defunct company, the engine is a modified Fiat four.

`
  • wgraferwgrafer Posts: 591
    Good job! You got me on "Colonnade' as I don't recall ever using that term back then. BTW, I believe the brown & white Chevelle is a '74, not a '75 (I had one, and the grilles were slightly different). :)
    edited June 2013
    No guesses re: Post # 37129? It's not surprising since only three were ever made. It's an Abarth 205A Berlinetta Vignale ca.1953, an interesting car for several reasons not the least being that it was an early effort by Carlo Abarth, an Austrian-born, naturalized Italian who later became well known as a leading tuner of Fiat cars beginning with the Fiat Nouva 500/600s of the later 50s. Abarth was one of the enginieri at Cisitalia and acquired several Cisitalia 204 chassis when Cisitalia was liquidated. These became the basis of his 205A.

The slick body was built by Carrozzeria Vignale and styled by Giovanni Michelotti, later to become well-known for designing the TR-4/5/250 and other Tiumphs as well as the BMW Neue Classe sedans (1600/2002 etc.) The Cunningham C-3 was very similar but IMO the Abarth looks much more aggressively styled w it's hood scoop and fog lamps.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,552
    G'day

Very pretty but a real challenge for me. I had only got to figuring that it was Italian.

Cheers

Graham
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,443
    When I clicked on the link to the larger picture, all the information was in the link title, so I didn't say anything. It would have been inadvertent cheating.
  • magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,884
    edited June 2013
    I'm going to guess this is the product of one of the many small Brit car makers. The color and shape suggests a 1970s car.

It doesn't look familiar to me but the roundel on the nose does and it's driving me crazy because I can't quite place it. Am i getting warm at least? :mad: :sick:
  • magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,884
    Well, it's not British, and in fact its a make we didn't get in Britain at the time although they were sold over in the States... This is a different version from the ones you would be familiar with over there, however...