Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602

A miracle. A new Ferrari that is not horribly ugly and misshapen.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100

A freshened up Ferrari California. Actually not bad looking at all, slightly sharper edges and lines than before.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,403
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459

@andys120 said: Hardtop>

Toyota Corona. I don't think I've seen a coupe before. Also a Ford Explorer and GMC pickup in the background.

• berriberri Posts: 4,013

I thought those early Toyota's were kind of ugly when they came out, but these days I think they are kind of neat looking. Maybe they remind me of some of the old amusement park rides when I was a kid.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,913

i think that one is quite pretty. Not sure about the minilites, but they aren't bad.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

edited February 15

Yup, it's a **1969 Toyota Corona ** hardtop coupe. Not many coupes were sold here, I'd forgotten that they were hardtops. The Corona was the car that put Toyota on the map in the US, although IIRC they were outsold by the Datsun 510. Most likely those wheels are not real Minilites, which were/are quite expensive. They're probably Panasports, look-alikes, quite popular back in the day.

Moderator, can't we get these helpers to work reliably?

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602

I always wanted a 2 door 510 with those wheels. Wanted to turn it into a Millen tribute. Probably rare as hens teeth at this point finding one that has not been all screwed with. I had a model of that I put together as a kid. That and a Chevy Luv with a V8 engine. Yeah, I had strange taste.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    edited February 15

@andys120, looks like you're still getting a space between the code and the word you're trying to highlight. Hm, looks like if you double-click the word you want to highlight, you'll often wind up with a trailing space (in Windows anyway). When you select the word(s) you have to eliminate the leading or trailing space, either as you select the word or edit it afterward.

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,555

@andys120 said:

Badge looks like an Abarth but I am not sure of the model. Lines look a little like a slimmed down mid 60's Ferrari

Cheers

GRaham

edited February 15

@grahampeters said: Badge looks like an Abarth but I am not sure of the model. Lines look a little like a slimmed >down mid 60's Ferrari.

It's funny you should say that because when I first saw one I thought "baby Ferrari". It's an Abarth-Simca 2000 ,they were amazingly small and quite fast. Mostly they were seen at places like Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and Mont Tremblant but some were street legal.

The alloy wheels are Abarth Elektrons. Carlo Abarth was a manufacturer of speed parts for Fiats and Simcas who eventually expended into building cars in small volumes. Abarth was based in Turin and eventually bought out by Fiat SPa. The name survives today on performance oriented Fiat models.

Abarth did their own styling and were quite good at it. My favorite Porsche 356 derivative was the Porsche-Abarth Carrera>

• magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,884

@fintail said: In 1967, Sweden finally moved to driving on the right instead of the left (cars were LHD, weirdly).

They banned sale of RHD cars from about 1960 as they prepared for the changeover - everybody with cars under seven years old had a car ready for the new rules - makes sense really as people could get used to driving on the wrong side of the car for a while. I find driving on the other side of the road is easy after the first hundred yards or so, but as for us it coincides with picking up an unfamiliar hire car and trying to find our way out of an airport / city centre car park / etc, it tends to be the worst hundred yards of the trip.... It's easier if we rent an auto but we've only ever done that in the US - in Europe its a manual Fiat / Peugeot / Opel whatever...

@fintail said:

That car on the extreme left in the "before" shot is a Vauxhall Victor FB - I think it's the VX4/90 model. Can also see a Ford Anglia coming towards us.

British cars did well in Sweden (not just before they went over to the dark side) because Britain and the Scandinavian countries weren't at that stage in what became the EU - we had been rebuffed by the French so we joined EFTA (European Free Trade Association) together with Ireland, Austria and I think Switzerland. When the French gave in and we finally joined in 1973, it was effectively the end of EFTA.

@magnette said: When the French gave in and we finally joined in 1973, it was effectively the end of EFTA.

And in front of the Vauxhall it's an Opel Kapitan I think, looks too big to be a Rekord.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,371

1962 Plymouth Sport Fury

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,941

I know this isn't the same car, but seeing that Plymouth makes me think of this:

• berriberri Posts: 4,013

I think that convertible is actually a 62 Dodge Polara. IIRC Jane Hathaway on Beverly Hillbillies drove one. Her character looked a bit like a man, so maybe this is another side of the character.

• grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,555
    edited February 16

@fintail said: I know this isn't the same car, but seeing that Plymouth makes me think of this:

G'day

Silly bits that you remember from movies! The deadbeat lifeguard stole it from his mistress's husband - name the movie and the characters!

Oh, a quick search suggests the flying convertible is a Dodge Dart 440

Cheers

Graham