Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got an Upcoming Mod Project? Tell Us About It!

2»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,645
    No, that's TWO things I can't bear to do! LOL!!!

I'm thinkin' "stealth" here....the car has to look stock.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• The hood isn't necessary if you go fuelie, the lt-1 fits under there nicely, we went carb for lack of complexity.
    Yeah, I'd need to have FI, I would never pass smog with carburators where I live. I think Renegade will sell the injection wiring harness, too. I'd also like the fuel economy that comes with FI.

• Well, I guess with todays gas prices, fuel economy is pretty important, I only get about 7 miles to the gallon, and I try to put 110 in even though it runs perfectly well on 92. OUCH
  • Achieved while travelling across state. This is after topping off with 93 the morning after running a 12.5 in the quarter the night before in my stealth 325i. Gotta love it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    DJ FunkMaster Flex has a new project - two, in fact. He's customizing a 2006 Ford Fusion and a 2005 Ford F-150 pickup, both to be part of his multi-city 2005 FunkMaster Flex Custom Car and Bike Show.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• purrnakpurrnak Posts: 4
    So I have a car which is fun to work on because it's so simple. yes you guessed it. A free hyundai pony 1986 1.4 yay for the lack of power.

Okay the mods I've done to it.
    1. run elwire along the dash and behind the meters (yes blinks to the music)
    2. mp3 stereo
    - Massive amp
    - 2x 12" Sony Xplode subs (waste of money buy something else and save $)
    - 2x 9" 100 watt rms mids for the doors
    3. Cathodes around the spearkers, under the seats, in front of the gear shifter Reds
    4. Modified the ashtray to be the controler board for all the lights and to switch the amp on and off
    (Yes this is a pony I'm talking about now stop laughing)
    5. Cleaned up the engine and replaced all the hoses and most of the cables
    6. Battery swap unit that allows for 2 batters and the ability to recharge them both without having to switch anything over.
    7. stearing wheel and seat covers (yes the all important red seat covers and floor mats) Improved the look of the car by 1000x

I say again, YES it is a pony I'm talking about.

Mods I want to do to it. I'll split this into "has a purpose" and "No reason really"

Has a purpose:
    a) I want to put a straight pipe exhaust in and change the muffler. Not sure how yet
    b) Change the muffler tip/exhaust pipe in some way. I want to split the pipe and redirect the outputs to be wider and distort the noise a bit. I'm still learning about how the exhaust system works.
    c) I want to add a new speaker box so it fills the trunk with a lift cover so I can stash stuff under it. Can't explain this one very well.
    d) I want to add mags but because it's a pony my options are pretty limited until I found out how difficult it would be to change the mounting system. Right now it looks like 4 x 100's but I found some nice mags that are 5x something. I also have to look into conversion plates.

No purpose at all:
    a) Put a wing on it. Not one you just buy in a box, but one I make myself that only has a look and no real purpose (yes it's a pony)
    b) Once I get new rims I want to pain the calipers and light them up
    c) under lights
    d) flame thrower out the front (Not as hard to build as you might think)
    e) Lower the car ( will probably do this one but don't know enough yet )

So um.. that's my big Toy Free junk yard parts makes this crap doable and fun.

And yes I hear a lot of laughter.

Any ideas what I could do to it? It's all a learning experience on this car so if I mess up, I don't really care. Oh and I beat quite a few cars off the line. I don't have the top spead of most civics but I can tick most of them off by getting across the intersection first.

(okay you can stop laughing now.)
  • Sounds like an extensive project. I wish you the best. I'm not so sure you need to necessarily go to a 5 lug pattern on those mags. The aftermarket is too huge. Try calling the company. You'd be surprised as to how much help they're willing to give you if you explain what your intentions are as to your project.

As far as your performance is concerned, I'd make sure that the fuel system was running strong. For a mid-eighties Korean vehicle, that Pony is surprisingly reliable. Just go for Higher octane gas and clean up the exhaust system as best you can.

Best of luck to you.
  • ponypowerponypower Posts: 2
    ok i also have a pony one of 3 and it had a snowboard spoiler on it a a light bar with 4 lights on it and a tip about 6 inchs in dia and a foot long also with a 1.4 liter revs to 7200 rpm no joke but im lookin how to put a 350 in to it so if u have any info how to do that i will very great full but ya good luck with your pony they never die just to let u no
  • sepulsepul Posts: 1
    Hey, this is my first post, and i was just wondering where i could find a used Integra Type-R chassis as the foundation of my project car. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    -Sepul
    Hmmm...that might not be so easy. I would google the Japanese Tuner Magazines or check your newsstand for classifieds in any specialty modding magazine. Also any Type-R clubs on the net. What's going to be hard is finding a Type R chassis that hasn't been worked or wrecked already. But I'm sure persistence will pay off.

• Maybe it would be more useful if you care to post what end result you're going for.
  • With only 4 production years, there aren't a lot of people who even recognize them on the rare occasion that they see one actually moving under its own power.... But the Pontiac Fiero makes a great platform to build on. I have an 88 model and a 305 TPI from an IROC-Z28 that I am going to swap into it.

The car is a pretty popular choice for people making kit cars and replicas of European cars since it is the only mid engine in GM's modern line up. I haven't fully decided whether I would like to build a kit car or just swap the engine and be content that even with stock parts people don't know what they are looking at. But thats my project idea. For about 5K I can have a aggressive little coupe that should be capable of lifting the front tires off the ground. :surprise:
    Is yours a 5-speed V-6 or???

• Did a Fiero for a customer about 2 years ago with the 4.0L version of GM's Northstar V8. Surprisingly enough, this GM motor is one of the most underrated and overlooked pieces GM my have ever had in it's roster.

We dynoed it at 325.7 horses at the rear wheels at 7230rpm, and 285.5 lb-ft of torque at 5760rpm. Almost all of the go fast parts came from RSM Racing's online catalogue. You'll have to utilize a standalone engine managenemt system, but you'll have a car that can run with the best of them on a whim. Porsche, Ferrari, Viper, whatever.
    Stand alone engine management is pretty tricky business for the average hobbyist, don't you think?

• I went up against a gentleman at Thunderhill in a 1996 MkIV Toyota Supra. His car was impeccably built with tastefull carbon fiber trim and backlit gauges. I'd list out the spec of the hardware of this car, but I don't want to catch carpal tunnel anytime soon.

It was upon learning that his 16 year old son was the culprit who performed all of the tuning and upgrades on this car (with trips to the dyno shop)that I was truly amazed. From that point on, I never put it past anyone willing to pick up a wrench, as a hobbyist or otherwise, to do amazing things.
    There's a guy over in "engine swaps" on this board asking some Fiero questions. Would you mind going over there to help him?

thanks!

Shifty the Co-Host

• researching doing an engine and maybe AWD swap from an eclipse GSX to my Avenger.
    Any info would be helpful. Thanx
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,578
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

2»
This discussion has been closed.