Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got an Upcoming Mod Project? Tell Us About It!

13»

Comments

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,692
    Hmmm...that might not be so easy. I would google the Japanese Tuner Magazines or check your newsstand for classifieds in any specialty modding magazine. Also any Type-R clubs on the net. What's going to be hard is finding a Type R chassis that hasn't been worked or wrecked already. But I'm sure persistence will pay off.
  • Maybe it would be more useful if you care to post what end result you're going for.
  • With only 4 production years, there aren't a lot of people who even recognize them on the rare occasion that they see one actually moving under its own power.... But the Pontiac Fiero makes a great platform to build on. I have an 88 model and a 305 TPI from an IROC-Z28 that I am going to swap into it.

The car is a pretty popular choice for people making kit cars and replicas of European cars since it is the only mid engine in GM's modern line up. I haven't fully decided whether I would like to build a kit car or just swap the engine and be content that even with stock parts people don't know what they are looking at. But thats my project idea. For about 5K I can have a aggressive little coupe that should be capable of lifting the front tires off the ground. :surprise:
    Is yours a 5-speed V-6 or???
  • Did a Fiero for a customer about 2 years ago with the 4.0L version of GM's Northstar V8. Surprisingly enough, this GM motor is one of the most underrated and overlooked pieces GM my have ever had in it's roster.

We dynoed it at 325.7 horses at the rear wheels at 7230rpm, and 285.5 lb-ft of torque at 5760rpm. Almost all of the go fast parts came from RSM Racing's online catalogue. You'll have to utilize a standalone engine managenemt system, but you'll have a car that can run with the best of them on a whim. Porsche, Ferrari, Viper, whatever.
    Stand alone engine management is pretty tricky business for the average hobbyist, don't you think?
  • I went up against a gentleman at Thunderhill in a 1996 MkIV Toyota Supra. His car was impeccably built with tastefull carbon fiber trim and backlit gauges. I'd list out the spec of the hardware of this car, but I don't want to catch carpal tunnel anytime soon.

It was upon learning that his 16 year old son was the culprit who performed all of the tuning and upgrades on this car (with trips to the dyno shop)that I was truly amazed. From that point on, I never put it past anyone willing to pick up a wrench, as a hobbyist or otherwise, to do amazing things.
    There's a guy over in "engine swaps" on this board asking some Fiero questions. Would you mind going over there to help him?

thanks!

Shifty the Co-Host
  • researching doing an engine and maybe AWD swap from an eclipse GSX to my Avenger.
    Any info would be helpful. Thanx
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Steve, Host
13»
This discussion has been closed.