Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• stang22stang22 Posts: 36
    Hate to tell ya jack,read new hotrod magazine!! Shelby numbers will be 500 hp!! 400hp vette will go back up on trailor in fear!! Zo6 your next,and Shelby's got 30,000 dollars to spare to catch up to price of z06, that's alot more mods we might want to do to really trash you!!! When shelby comes out with500hp,0-60 times will be in the high 3's!! Mustanggt kills gto,and now Shelby will win again against vette,just like the old days!!!! you lose again,mustang gt and shelby mustang win again BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :P
  • kevm14kevm14 Posts: 423
    I'd take a 300c srt-8 even over a GTO

Interesting you mention this. I actually test drove one of the first 04 GTOs in my area in January 04. It was a black 6-speed. I really liked it. But then the 300C came out, and now we have the SRT-8. I have almost completely lost interest in the GTO because the SRT-8 is as fast or faster, handles better, stops better, looks awesome, and is a BIG SEDAN (which is big points for me, personally). However, I have been a GM guy and I expect people will tire of the mustang's relentless presence in the coming years (especially the V6/auto models). I prefer exclusivity (certainly the SRT-8 has that, though the 300 as a general model is going to be as common as Mustangs...), a la Grand National and Impala SS.

Bottom line, I guess, is that if I could afford $33k to spend on a new car, it would be an 06 300C, not an 05 GTO. But I'd take a GTO over a Mustang, for sure.
    They(GM),probably could have got away with it if they named it something else,but please not a GTO!!

I agree here. I was interested in the GTO not because of the name or the legacy (I don't typically get wrapped up in that crap), but because it was a real high quality car with a killer Gen-III V8 (amazing aftermarket support), IRS, nice interior, etc. Probably should have been Grand Prix Coupe or something. I dunno. The fact that it's 'GTO' automatically solicits a given amount of press/discussion/criticism...
    I did see video of the Mustang GT run the 13.6, though.

So did I. And something is very wrong with that run. He got a 13.69 @ 97. Anybody who knows anything about the relationship between ET and trap speed would flag that run in an instant. Short of letting off the gas at the end of the track, I'd say something was wrong with the equipment. Anybody have a clue?
    I wonder how many Harley's have exhaust systems which violate noise ordinances?

OT, but NONE (stock, from the factory anyway). Every single loud, obnoxious Harley you have ever seen, or will ever see, has been "modified" by the oh-so-proud owner to be loud and obnoxious.
    LOL, I would rather have those questions then "Hey, I have one too, what color is yours?", since almost everyone on the block will own one.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing before I read your post, then you posted it! So I just had to reply...
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    ... before we get any further off-track, the purpose of this topic is to discuss the attributes of the Mustang vs. those of the GTO. Let's stick to that and not veer off into any more comparisons with Corvettes, SRT8s, or other cars.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    I'm glad of that. Anyway, an interesting thought occured to me. If you could not have found an '04, would your fiancee have gotten an '05 or shopped for something else. Just curious.
    American muscle and the very survival of American car companies. Yes, Ford also has achieved junk bond status. If everone wanted large suv's and pickups there would be no problem. I think Nissan is even going after the large pickup market.
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Posts: 544
    If they (the fiancee and her parents) had not found the 2004 on the local lot, they would have bought one of the 05s. Her 2001 was in her Dad's name, so they got the check from the other guy's insurance. She's a Mustang girl, really wants a 1966. My Fiancee and I drove an 05 and she liked it, and her parents drove one as well; they just liked the 04 better because of styling, and price. They looked at numbers both ways and claimed they'd have paid "significantly" more for the 2005- of course that would have held up in resale, but no one cared for my opinion! I'd have bought one of the 2005s.

The really funny thing is, I was at work when they actually bought- and the 2004 they were looking at had the "shaker 1000" audio system option. I don't know if you have ever seen this system, but it takes up the whole trunk, you can't even get a medium size bag back there. They never opened the trunk until after they bought it (they said they thought all that bass was coming from the rear deck speakers)... So now the fiancee wants to pull all of that stuff out and try to sell it... Sigh... At least she wants to put the money into upgrading the exhaust.
    Where do you get the Mustang GT is 'far' superior to the GTO? All that we know for sure is that it is more popular.
    That is really funny. Too bad you didn't get to see the look on their faces when they first opened the trunk.
  • gottabgtogottabgto Posts: 95
    Some folks just don't have the need or desire to follow the crowd.
    Mustangs are a dime a dozen - getting to be just about every other car you see is another Mustang.
    Just like the SUV craze.
    Some people prefer to have a little more individuality.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Some people prefer to have a little more individuality.

Where's the individuality in owning a GTO when every other GTO will be exactly like yours, save for the color? What interior options do you get besides color? What stereo options? Engine options? Trim levels?

Yep, I want to preserve my individuality. So I'm going to go buy a GTO that's exactly like every other GTO and looks like every other GTO.

Gimme a break. You can get more "individuality" with a Honda Accord.
    Let's see...

V6 Deluxe
    V6 Premium
    GT Deluxe
    GT Premium
    V6 Convertible Deluxe
    V6 Convertible Premium
    GT Convertible Deluxe
    GT Convertible Premium
    V6 Deluxe w/ Sport Appearance Pkg
    V6 Premium w/ Interior Upgrade Pkg
    GT Deluxe w/ Sport Appearance Pkg
    GT Premium w/ Interior Upgrade Pkg
    GT Deluxe w/ Interior Color Accent Pkg
    and so on and so forth.

All told, I believe there are 27 different configurations you can get a Mustang and I don't think that's even including the different wheel options.

Versus...

GTO w/ automatic
    GTO w/ manual

The GTO is almost the ultimate "me too"-mobile. A measly 12,000 and every one of them is just like the other except for transmission and, maybe, wheels. Yep! That's what I call individuality. :confuse: That would make for one of the most boring car shows ever. :sick:
  • sensaisensai Posts: 129
    Yup, all those different trim levels you listed for the Mustang, and they still all look the same going down the road. And, as an added bonus, you get to see one every block. Compared to how often you will actually see a GTO, the Mustang could be called a Ford Camry...
    Does the GTO have some secret morphing ability that when you see one, it changes it's looks so it doesn't look like every other GTO you see? I just don't see the point you GTO guys are trying to make with that. :confuse: The weird thing is, the Mustang doesn't quite look like every other Mustang and isn't like every other Mustang, whereas the GTO does and is. Unless, of course, it's an '05 GTO with the fake scoop package.

How blind do you have to be to not be able to tell the difference between a V6 Mustang and a GT; the front being the most obvious. You've got those huge foglights on the front of the GT, not to mention the whole front fascia isn't the same as the V6. On the sides, there's those large GT letters and the wheels unique to the GT. Then at the rear, there are dual exhaust outlets. Oh, almost forgot, the GT has subtle ground effects all around, whereas the V6 does not. And you can hear a GT go by, whereas the V6 is pretty silent. What more do you guys need?

I mean, statistically speaking, there would be more GTOs that are laid out exactly the same than there would be Mustangs, colors aside. Throw color in there and, statistically speaking, there WILL be more GTOs exactly alike than Mustangs.

You guys are reaching hard for reasons to put down the Mustang. Just face it, there are an extreme few people that like this GTO. As has been said over and over, the sales prove it. Heck, they put huge incentives on the GTO in it's first year on the market because they couldn't (and still can't) move them like they wanted. On the other hand, a Mustang GT owner could sell his '05 GT for above MSRP. Then you GTO guys want to go all anti-establishment with this "individuality" tripe. Come on. If you wanted individuality, you would've bought a car that actually offers individuality by way of OPTIONS, not lackluster sales.

I do enjoy reading about all the rebates and whatnot that you guys are getting. Next year a person will probably be able to buy a "brand new" '04 GTO for $18K; a car that had an MSRP of $33K+. Next year you will probably still have to pay near MSRP for a used '05 GT. Gotta love the GTO resale. Heck, forget the resale; you gotta love that GTO NEW sale! :P
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    A number of posts were deleted this mornning because they were off-topic and/or attacking. Stick to the topic.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Ha, yes - those caps certainly are persuasive.
    As are the personal attacks.
    I guess the point this guy is making is - if you own a Mustang you are so insecure about your identity that you need to trash everything and everyone else. That's what happens when you buy a car that everybody and their brother owns.
    In 3 months of looking, I have not seen one single 05 GTO on the road - so yeah, the car is unique and very uncommon.
    I'll try and remember what the 442Man said - he get's along just fine with the Mustang owners when he goes to events - so I'm sure this person is not representative of most Mustang owners.
    Sorry Claires.
    You're right.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,257
    While I do think that the GTO is one of GM's better offerings, when I was in the market, the first thing that struck me about the car was how it looked like the Grand Am which looked like a Grand Prix, which looked like.........you get the point.

To this day, whenever I see a GTO on the road, I have to get close to see the badging to make certain what it is. That's not a slam on the car itself, but apparently, most feel the same way about the GTO....otherwise, they would have been more of a "hit" for the General.

The Mustang will never be mistaken for anything but a Mustang (which is quite stylish, indeed).
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Posts: 544
    Sure, the GTO has more "individuality" in the sense that there are relatively few of them on the road. But the GTOs don't really stand out from the millions of other late-90s Pontiac coupes, so what is all the fuss about? (Now, I will admit that the GTOs painted in the "loud" colors are slightly more eye-catching, but even those don't hold the eye).

The Mustang, on the other hand, does stand out from the other cars on the road. Even though they may be more common, that gives them more individuality.
  • 442man442man Posts: 210
    There isn't many cars from GM or even less from Ford I would have considered, only those rear drive 2 doors with a V8. GM has a few more choices.

To this day whenever I see a Mustang on the road which is very often, I have to look closely to see if it's a V6 or V8 model. Not much distinction. Nearly 66% of Mustang sales are the V6. You have to remember that not everyone wants a mustang. I don't. I have yet to really see a V8 GT on the road, most V6. As said previously I get along very well at the car shows with the Mustang guys. We bust each others chops! We don't badmouth each other cars us mature people. I have seen some of younger kids badmouth cars.

This has been discussed many times before but the GTO was NEVER meant to be a "hit" for the general. never meant to sell as well as the Mustang. Limited production, 18k per year. That doesn't equate as a hit to me. Lutz wanted to bring back a GTO here for the 1st time in 30yrs. I don't care if it failed, I like it and thats all that matters. It turns more head then you think. I have had just as many people come up to my GTO at the car show as the Mustang guys.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,257
    I can immediately tell a Mustang from any other offering...Ford or otherwise. Regarding the '05s, you don't have to look real hard to tell the GT from the V6s. Just take a gander at the BIG lights in the grill and the big GT letters on the sides and on the back. It's pretty clear.

Pontiac wanted to sell 18,000 '04 GTOs. They ended up only selling 14,000-16,000 of them, depending on the source you read. And they only sold that many '04s with big rebates. They lowered production to 12,000 GTOs for '05. Last time I looked, they sold 1,100 in May. While I don't know how many of those were '04s, the GTO is still falling short of the mark as I think they've only sold something like 3,500 of them so far in the '05 model year. For all intents and purposes, they've got to sell about 9,000 more in the next 5 months (till Sept- Oct when the '06 models come out)

Not saying you shouldn't like your car. If I put my hard earned money down for it, I better like it.

This debate has run full circle so many times I'm dizzy.
    Well, I love mine - no regrets whatsoever.
    As for sales - I have never seen an ad for the GTO.
    Not one.
    Not even in car mags.
    Maybe because it would impact Corvette sales....
    And in the end, all you got is just another Mustang. Like you said there are only 12,000 GTOs and for some reason that bothers you. Why? And you act like having a V6 Deluxe Mustang is somehow better that a GTO. Because there are 199,000 other Mustangs out there. Get real.
    No, almost all of the 2004 18,000 are sold except about 125 the last time I checked. Leftover 2004 GTO is going for about $21k to $22k, very good for a 350hp muscle car.

Sales of the two-door, V-8 GTO coupe with the classic muscle-car name were up 65 percent in April compared with the same month in 2004. And through the first third of the year, GTO sales are up 78 percent.
    Also the high insurance of a Mustang. Sorry but in NJ where I live the Mustang V8 is a lot more $$ to insure then Mustang. I have a perfect record for 20+ yrs. Try about $150 to $200 more a year. IT has 100 less horsepower. If you want to insure an F-body V8, good luck. It's all the kids cracking them/accidents.

Mustang/Fbody have among the most deaths per mile in the insurance industry. Also the theft rate for Mustang/Fbody is among the highest in the insurane industry. Check your facts.

GTO doesn't have a history since 1974. I was shocked at how cheap the GTO was to insure. It was less to insure then a 300C hemi or Magnum Hemi Wagon.
    Yep, very easy to rent a 2005 Mustang tomorrow, go to Hertz where they will have 3 to 5 on every lot available for rental, esp. by me. I have seen them sitting there. GTO? Can't rent. Wonder why?
    ......"On the other hand, a Mustang GT owner could sell his '05 GT for above MSRP......"

Go ahead and tell me what the 2005 Mustant GT gets for resale about 3 yrs from now. Try about 50% loss in value. Typical of all American new cars.
This discussion has been closed.