Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    You need to get something straight. The '05 Mustang isn't an instant success. It's a 41 year old car. It's at least the seventh generation. The '64 was an instant success. I know, I bought a '65. A GT 2+2, deluxe interior. Oh yeah. Anyway, the Mustang has a large and loyal following. So you really need to look at how many Mustangs were sold last year. Then if more were sold this year, it would be a success, if less were sold then I would say it wasn't such a success, and certainly not an instant success.
  • 442man442man Posts: 210
    Consumer Reports just tested the V6 Mustang Convertible against other Convertibles. Did ok.

We found the V8 powered Mustang GT with a manual transmission to be FAST and FUN, but in V6 guise with an automatic transmission oru convertible isn't as Exciting. The engine is COARSE and NOISY. Handling is secure but borders on mundane. The interior feels CHEAP. Much of the interior is covered in thin, hard plastic that has a cheap feel and look. But then at the same time they say the chrome highlights looks good. More american car bias as usual from CR. They said the body is very rigid and good front seats ec Yet they praise the Toyota Solara Convertible and rank it above the Mustang, but say it's body quivers and shakes? Go figure? I would rather have the more rigid body.
  • ls6fanls6fan Posts: 2
    an '05 GTO last night and placed an order for a Cyclone Grey one
    on the spot. The thing kicks [non-permissible content removed] and has a very refined chassis
    to boot. I will be retiring a '99 Z28 that has 160k on it with next to
    no problems (p.s. pump just went - first problem). Incredibly solid
    and sound vehicle with an apropriate degree of subtlety with which
    I have been trashing everything that has been stupid enough to try to
    take me on over the last six years.

Ordered the goat w/o the hood scoops, but added the 18" wheels.
    Can't wait to get my hands on it and spend the summer wringing it
    out on the roads of upstate NY.

As for the mustang's appearance, I've seen a couple dozen on the
    roads and I'm bored already - looks too much like too many old
    rustbuckets. Give me the subtlety of the goat anyday, at least
    until they decide to market a Judge model.

almost forgot... SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM!
    (isn't that what you're obligated to do around here?)
    Auto or manual? What did the wheels cost if you don't mind me asking?

The only part of cancelling the zeta model that bothers me is there won't be a platform for the LS7. That would have been the logical choice and what better to call it than the....Judge. Oh well.

But wait, someone is buying 28,000,000,000 shares of GM stock. Could there be light at the end of the tunnel?
  • ls6fanls6fan Posts: 2
    $450 upcharge
  • sensaisensai Posts: 129
    Speed TV is supposed to host some sort of event June 12th where the GTO and the GXP race a bunch of other cars. I have heard mentions of a 330, G35, and Mustang GT, although I cannot find anything confirmed. Can't wait to see the other cars get whipped :)
    Thanks. What a great deal.
    That's what I've been waiting for. A real race between these cars.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,092
    '04 Mustang sales =~140,000 untis. 1/3 of those were of the V8 variety (or ~46,000).

'05 Mustang sales = ~190,000 units. Over 1/3 of those will be of the GT variety (or ~63,000+). Those numbers would have been higher and were limited only by capacity to produce them.

While an understatement, I'd say it's been a success.
    I just picked up a '05 Impulse Blue with the Bermuda Blue interior last week. 17" wheels, hood scoopes, 4 spd automatic. Nice car. It was either that or Black with Red interior. Cyclone Grey is nice too.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    A number of posts were deleted this morning as a few people were shouting and/or attacking each other.

Stay on topic and stay civil or you will be removed from the Forums.

Need help navigating? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• corsicachevycorsicachevy Posts: 316
    Sensai - When you say "race", what do you mean? I can't imagine a reputable organization actually putting these cars on the same track, like a Willow Springs or Road America, at the same time and actually racing. That would be completely insane without fitting the cars with full roll cages and multipoint harnesses. Most orgainizations don't have the budget to make that sort of investment for a one-off event.

I doubt it will happen.

If it did, the 05 GTO would beat an 05 Mustang GT. That really isn't debatable. Even so, I would much prefer to OWN an 05 Mustang - blue with white stripes and Bullit wheels, please.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Actually, that is debatable. If I recall, the Mustang handles better than the GTO, and having a near 50/50 (51/49) weight distribution has to count for something. Keep in mind that the GT rides on 235/55 flexi-wall 17's whereas the GTO is on low profile(245/45, I think) 18's, and the GTO barely out slaloms the GT. Given a track with enough tight curves, the GTO would lose. Or, even better, put the GT on some 245/45's.
  • sensaisensai Posts: 129
    I believe they race the cars one at a time, but on the same track with the same driver, and compare the results from that. I am not sure though until they post more information about it.

As far as which handles better, there is still not enough evidence to prove either one. The Mustang does seem to pull better slalom/skidpad numbers, at least against the 17" tire equipped GTO (those tires are hardly performance tires), although those measurements are hardly an indicated of true handling. Interestingly I was reading a R&T over the weekend and the GTO pulled a better number on their figure 8 test, which looked to be a small tightly wound track where I would of though the lighter Mustang would have had the advantage. Of course, the GTO is still way faster, has better breaks, better interior, and is much more solidly built.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Of course, the GTO is still way faster, has better breaks, better interior, and is much more solidly built.

Those last to points are highly subjective. The Mustang is very solid and whether or not an interior is better is totally up to individual taste.
    The Mustang edged out the GTO in Handling. Mustang and GTO weight distrubution is almost identical! Mustang was 52.5/47.5 and the GTO was 53.8/46.2. GTO has P245/45-17 inch from the factory with 18 inch Optional. All the tests have been with 17" on GTO.

True you could put the GT on a better tire, but the same could be said for the GTO too, test it with it's optional 18 inchers.

As for the interiors, Consumer Reports in their latest June review of the Mustang Convertible said the interior feels cheap. Much of the interior is covered in thin, hard plastic that has a cheap feel and look. As per CR magazine. New Mustang is much nicer then previous generations interior. It's all subjective.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Posts: 316
    This comparison reminds me of the Ford GT vs 911 GT3 comparison. The GT3 sliced through the twisties faster than the GT, but corner exit acceleration and straight line speed handed the overall advantage to the GT. I see the GTO vs GT comparison in a similar light.

I have driven an 05 Mustang V6 and have to wonder if Consumer Reports even drove the car. Cheap interior? To me, the interior is solidly above average.
    I disagree with CR on the Mustang interior too, I thought it was pretty decent myself. Consumer Reports is almost always biased against American cars, so it was no surprise what they wrote. They always praise the foreign, especially the Japanese cars. Of course they rated the Solara convertible over the Mustang V6 convertible.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,092
    I don't consider CR a credible source for testing cars. It's widely known that they put more emphasis on cup holders than performance. Plus, they've shown time and again, their obvious bias towards Toyota and Honda.

While I've not spent time in the standard interior of the Mustang, the Iterior Upgrade Package, and all the aluminum is, to me, stunningly good. I just returned from my Mustang's first road trip. The car felt like it was built from a solid piece of steel.

Performance? I've posted some track numbers here (amatuer ran a 13.6 1/4) as well as the numbers from independent tests from the trade rags. In short, there isn't enough difference in performance between the GTO and the Mustang GT to claim one is substantiall faster than the other. GTO's weight is probably the biggest culprit.
    I agree that CR is biased, they love Honda & toyota. I think CR only tested the standard interior of the Mustang?

As for Performance, the GTO is faster then GT, maybe not by much, but it is. GTO 13.3 1/4 mile vs GT 13.8 1/4 mile in January Car & Driver. Half a second faster.

I have seen amatuer's run as FAST as 13.1 1/4 miles on Stock GTO's including the stock BF goodrich tires. The avg seems to be 13.1 to 13.4 if you know how to drive.
This discussion has been closed.