Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    With all the talk about the Charger I thought I would check it out. Not in person but in Edmunds. Saw a couple of your posts. Anyway, didn't care much for the looks. That thing has more angles that an F-117. Talk about stealth. I bet radar bounces right off it. The seats look angular also. For that price and that weight I would want plush seats. Something comphy. Don't like the 4 doors and I would definitely want a 6-speed. So I guess I won't be upgrading to a Charger.
  • gottabgtogottabgto Posts: 95
    Ahem, I think you mean you won't be downgrading to a Charger.
    Nor will I.
    That is one Ug-Lee vehicle.
  • minerkminerk Posts: 5
    At last! Something we can all agree on!
  • My wife test drove a charger and loved the h.p. but rear wheel drive is not practical for year round driving in OH. I bought her an 05 Grand Prix GXP for $5000 Less.
  • stang22stang22 Posts: 36
    Nothing,I mean nothing is as ugly as the new gto,and this forum is about mustang vs. gto and it is now offical that mustang is the new champion without even gto making the list: According to a consumer survey released by Edmunds.com in May, the Mustang won a landslide victory as the Most Significant Vehicle of the Year for 2005, and the Chrysler 300 sedan took second place. The two cars beat out all foreign competitors.

When it comes to hot product offerings from domestic automakers, Toprak said, "it's really the 300 and the Mustang."

The Mustang, though, seems to be getting a few more buyers than the 300 did after its launch. Last month, consumers bought 19,559 Mustangs. The biggest month the 300 ever scored was in December, with 13,525 sales. The Mustang is averaging about 15,455 sales a month this year, vs. 12,272 for the 300. GTO didn't even make the list.

Mustang rules baby!!!! Down goes gto,down goes gto!!!! :P
    May be 'official' with you but you certainly don't speak for everyone.
    I prefer my horses under the hood instead of a little emblem on the grill - but by all means - enjoy your little pony car.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,099
    Off topic......... I used to be a big Chryco fan. I've always thought the company was innovative with interesting designs. They still are. While the 300 is an interesting design, particularly with the Hemi, the Charger just doesn't "grab" me....inside or outside.

I just sold my '03 Vibe to my nephew. He just graduated and considered the selling price of $10,000 a "gift". Looking at getting something a bit bigger, I checked out the GC and Dodge Durango. Saw a Charger at the Dodge dealership. It's probably unfair of me to judge the Charger just by sitting in it and not driving it, but I'd take the GTO over the Charger in a heartbeat.

I'm now thinking pick-up truck......maybe something along the lines of a Tacoma. Anyone have any comments, both good and bad about these trucks?
    I was trying to be diplomatic. But yes, the Charger is ugly.
    A friend of mine has a Tacoma which he is happy with. But you should check out the Dodge Ram. A guy here at work has one with the 5.7 Hemi and that is one sweet ride.
    Sputter....I drove a RAM yesterday. Way more truck than I need. Still offtopic, but I also drove a Honda Ridgeline yesterday. I don't get that vehicle.

I keep coming back to the Tacoma. We'll see if I can swing a deal on one today.
    Oh you're going foreign huh. Why? Just because it's well built, priced right, the dealer treats you with respect, they back up their warranty. What kind of reasons are those? Seriously, my friend is totally satisfied with his. You can't go wrong.
    Sorry gto is way uglier than the charger,have you seen the charger srt-8--very cool looking!! As is the 300c srt-8!!! The best will be late next year with the Shelby mustang GT-500!!! All sales and performance and looks of these above, kick gto's behind bigtime!! Sales numbers will prove all!!! Watch~ :P
    sputter.....LOL! After some of the horror stories I've heard about Honda and Toyota dealers, I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how well they've treated me. No pressure. Knowledgeable about their products (at least my sales people have been good). I'll pull the trigger on something today. I kind of like the Pilot, too.
    stang....I'm going to have to disagree with you about the Charger. It's really not my cup of tea. If it came down to the Charger vs the GTO, I'd be in the GTO camp all the way.
  • magnumforcmagnumforc Posts: 16
    Amazing thet the only thing the pony boys seem to see are the pipes sticking out the back of my GTO. For some strange reason, the 400 ponies under the hood whip the 300 ponies under the pony boys hood every day.

You want a car that everyone else has from the granny down the street to the kid at McDonalds, get the Mustang. You want a real muscle car...oh, forget it, you're a pony boy. Sorry I even mentioned it.
    Oh.....are you ever setting yourself up for the deluge.......LOL!

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a rebuttal as we've been going at this for months. I'll try to stay on the sidelines just this once.
    That's a nasty choice brother,but to each his own!!! Shelby mustang will still be the best looking and performance and best bang for the buck!! I'm sorry,but that gto body has got to go,that's why they keep redesigning it,hoping it would generate bigger sales.
    The suspense is killing me -
    what'd you get?
  • jontyreesjontyrees Posts: 159
    .....is top speed. Although you may never use it, it tells you a lot about the capabilities of the car, and how understressed it is in everyday driving, both from an engine and dynamics standpoint. The 04 GTO is electronically limited to 158mph (tire limited), and would probably top out close to 170mph. The 05 has been tested to 180mph by a British car magazine. The Mustang GT runs out of steam shortly after 140mph - no need for a limiter. I like Mustangs, but I'd say that's a pretty clear win for the GTO.
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Posts: 544
    All the GTO guys have been talking about is Horsepower, Quarter-Miles, and Top Speed. And that's fine, that's what they like.

Imagine this: a sliding scale for sports cars with "Handling" on one end and "Power" on the other. On the "Handling" end of the scale we find the Mazda RX-8. It accelerates slower than both the GTO and the Mustang. Does that make it an inferior sports car? NO! It can out-handle them both.

The GTO is all the way on the other end of that sliding scale. Lots of horsepower, relatively relaxed handling. This has been shown both in comments by testers, most notably the recent edmunds.com test, and in hard test numbers. Even the GTO guys admit it is more of a Grand Touring car. It does not handle as well as an RX-8 or a Mustang. Does that make it inferior? Again, no. It has better acceleration.

The Mustang is in the middle of the scale. It can not take a curve as well as an RX-8 or blast past 150mph like a GTO. But it is a good mix of both handling and horsepower. And that's why I like it.

It just depends on what you like.

Do you "live life a quarter mile at a time" and dream about vacant freeways? The GTO is your steed.

Do you love ripping around curves? Finding the apex? Heel-and-toe shifting? Slide into an RX-8.

Buy a Mustang if you just can't make up your mind, or you love both! It's not the best at either, but does everything well.
This discussion has been closed.