Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• For it's dull style the GTO does draw more attention then I thought it ever would. I was shocked, but now I get used to it. Prob. not same attention as Mustang, but it's still cool.
  • Ha! - That's great.
    My eleven year old granddaughter is also in love with my car - she even helps me wash and polish it!

I thought I made it clear that I respect most of the Mustang drivers I read on this board, so I hope the 'uneducated public' comments were not directed my way. If they were - then all I can say is - next time I run into one of the local teenage girls driving her Mustang - I'll be sure to ask her to tell me all about her car :)
  • I would take the GTO, Vette, or Mustang GT a thousand times over before I would buy or mod a car into an import tuner. The ones in Florida all seem to be driven by young macho males. Maybe it's just me, but I don't have the time nor the money (much less the irresponsibility to risk lives) to race every WRX Sti, Evo, or other supped up import I sit at a light with. They always seem to want to race. The GT, Vette, and GTO drivers just glance over at ya and nod their head appreciatively. Maybe it's a regional thing....Anybody else have a similar experience?

BTW, How do your Mustangs and GTOs handle in wet or winter weather?

Lastly, who is this "the preacher" guy?
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    based on about 20 new england & upstate new york winters & Z28s, i'm quite sure that mustang GTs & GTOs are miserable in snow - unless you use 4 real snow tires - in which case these cars are fine in snow unless the snow''s so deep that ground clearance is not enough. also you are much better off in snow with a standard trans than with an automatic - easier to control the torque with the manual. snow sure seems far away given the tropical disaster in the gulf coast states.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,160
    While, in a pinch, I'd probably use the Mustang in the snow since it has trac control, but not before I put 4 snow tires on it, as suggested. I've got a 4Runner for winter duty.

I believe one of the biggest issues with so-called "modders" is that most do such a poor....poor job if it. You see some of these cars with have 20" wheels/tires (that probably scrape the wheel wells) and you just know their civic is going to handle terribly with them. Same goes for poorly installed and realized exhaust systems. I won't even begin to address the worth of some of the picnic table spoilers I've seen.

All that said, there's a girl, about 18-19 years old, that works at a car wash I frequent. She's got 7 year old Mustang, though used, in great shape. She's always more than happy to talk about her 4.10 rear end (on the car ;) ) and the supercharger she put in. It's a very nice ride that she rehabbed herself. I just enjoy talking to her because she's so enthusiastic about cars in general.

My sister, while not a teen, just bought a Mustang GT 'vert. She's willing to talk about the toque curve and throttle tip-in of her new car.

Point being, I don't think sweeping generalizations about a whole group who drives any muscle would be neccessarily correct, at least not in my experience.
  • I saw a RED 2004 GTO today with Handicap license plates on it go by and it was an elderly woman in her 60's or 70's. I guess Grandma likes some muscle too.
  • The only modifying I did on my 2005 GTO was to tint back windows, get vanity license plates and GTO decals, one that fits that rear fascia where GTO is cut in, and one on each side at bottom rear of side sills.

One of the reasons I bought the GTO was that with a 400hp V8 I don't need to modify drivetrain, etc.

Yes, it always seems to be the import tuner cars that rev their engines at me and want to race, I let them go, not worth my gas or getting a ticket, etc.

My GTO does ok in the wet weather with stock all season BF Goodrich tires. You can spin them or go slightly sideways if you want to even with traction control on. But you have to know how to drive too.
  • We use our front wheel drive Acura with all season tires for winter, never had a problem of getting stuck. I wouldn't recommend most performance rear wheel drive cars unless you have to use them in snow.

Not all modders do a poor job, some do and some don't. It's their $$. I do get a chuckle out of the people that take these older semi-beat up $2,000 book value cars and put $5k into it in stereos, rims etc. To each their own I guess.

One reason I married my wife, very into cars, except she can't and won't learn to drive stick, oh well.

There is no reason to modify my GTO engine, the car already does 0-60 in 5 seconds or better, how much faster do you want to go? Esp on the street.
    gx....don't get me wrong. There are some "tuners" that do an excellent job with their rides. They're enthusiastic and look for real world performance gain. I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to personalize their car the way the see fit, either.

I do have to chuckle about those who drop $5K of "thumper" speakers in their $2K car (which usually rattles the body panels) that negates any type of sound improvements. I also have seen some pretty horrendous looking "mods" that puport a performance gain, but in reality do little more than make their cars look ridiculous.

Speaking of looking ridiculous, just last night I saw a 300c with a vinyl landau roof. It also had a mesh gold grill with gold wheels. Talk about taking a pretty car and making it ugly..... :sick:

You and I are in agreement.....a ~5 second 0-60 is just about as fast (or faster) as 99.9% of anything on the road short of a 'vette or exotic....and more than I'll ever use. Most 'vette's I've seen don't street race. I'm sure it's the same with you, but the only people trying to street race me are the "ratted out" older civics and acuras.....and those can't even remotely keep up.

Even the few M3's around here don't usually want to test the waters (which is a little surprising to me).

The f-body crowd usually just nod and/or wave. I get a little grief from earlier Mustang styles, too (which is surprising, also). Had a Ford Lightening owner play with me on a recent road trip to Chicago. But the road turned twisty and he backed off in short order.

Speaking of Chicago, there's an exotic car dealer downtown. They sell Bentleys, Lambos, etc. Was driving by last Saturday and saw a Lambo being flat bedded to the dealer. As my exhaust was echoing off the buildings at the red light by the dealer, the forlorn owerner heard my car. I thought he would be snooty, but he turned and gave me a "thumbs up" as I passed him when the light turned green. I'm sure he was thinking "what a dweeb, driving a Mustang" Or maybe he was acknowleding that his car wasn't running and mine was. Beautiful cars those Lambos.

About an hour later, I parked at my hotel and wandered over to the dealership, just to window shop. The mechanic had their garage door open and he finally got the Lambo to fire up. Mercy! What a sound those cars make......!!!!!!! :surprise:
  • I have seen the 300C with the 20"+ chrome wheels, big Bently/RR style grille, etc. The funny thing is that some of them aren't even the Hemi C, regular single exhaust V6 300's.

The only people that have messed or tried to race with me or younger kids mostly in loud exhaust can Civics/Acura's, dangerously tailgating me and revving their engine loud. I try to ignore it.

I overheard a guy come up to my GTO and say negative things about it not selling, renta-car styling etc. Yet he drove to the car show in a Marauder (Grand Marquis), talk about a car that is a rental car, whose styling dates to 1992 and didn't sell well and didn't have greatest perf. 7 seconds to 60 or worse. I was about 25 feet away, so he didn't have the nerve to say it to my face, of course. Some people.

Those Lambos are nice.
  • I intend to keep my GTO bone factory stock. No mods of anykind.
    I learned a long time ago that modifications to drivetrains, suspensions, aftermarket
    appearance add ons and such, devalue the car. Tinting a window or adding a decal
    as danman described is ok. Even such things as upgrading the radio speakers believe or not, takes away the originality concept. A personal case in point is when
    I sold my 1967 GTO which I bought new and had for 15 years (which I highly regret selling)

My 67 was mint with no mods of anykind. The man that bought it was a collector/speculator and went over it with a fine tooth comb. He had looked at several 67's and every one had replacement parts or mods of some kind. This was in 1982. It's the only car I ever owned that I sold for far more than I paid for it.
    Take good care of your GTO's, keep it factory original, and by all means hang onto it. There'll come a day when you'll be glad you did.
  • Nay, the vast majority of GTO owners bought it for no more reason than simply to go against the grain

You had a reasonable argument there for the first two paragraphs, but really, I seriously doubt there are many folks dropping $25-30k just to be contrarians. It's just a great value for an excellent car. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, and it's a difficult car to market*, but I certainly didn't buy one to go against the grain.

* - difficult to market because hardly anyone knows what it is and it doesn't fit the perception the bulk of the US market has of Pontiac. It doesn't really fit into the Pontiac line-up, and having to educate potential buyers before enticing them to buy is a tough proposition. "$30k for a Pontiac?" "But it's a really good Pontiac" "How come?" "Well it's really a Holden - made in Australia" "They make cars in Australia?", etc, etc.

I like mine a lot.
  • "Heck, even gxpgtodanman (I believe) said his other car is a VW Jetta TDI! That about proves the case."

I don't own a VW. My other owned car is a front drive 3.2 type S, Acura sedan :( Nice car, but had too many problems for an Acura. Including tranny rebuild. My company car is a Pontiac GXP. We own an antique chevy.
  • Not only difficult to market, but GM didn't even really try to market the GTO. Not much advertising at all. Kind of hard to sell when you don't advertise! It's a far superior built car-interior then anything in pontiacs lineup right now. GM's best car interior-build for $35k or less.

Bonny GXP was $38k MSRP, talk about an expensive Pontiac, but had Cadillac FWD drivetrain. It flopped, but at least Pontiac advertised it more then GTO.
    gxp.....you had problems with the TL? I heard they had some tranny issues, but I thought Honda resolved them.

I've casually flirted with getting an Acura for over 10 years. But, the dealerships around me consider their cars to have no competition. When it came down to make a car buying decision, something else always floated my boat more than whatever Acura I was looking at.

All that said, I haven't driven the new models. I did, however, drive the previous generations of both the TL and the RL.

On a separate note, I've had 2 cars for about the last decade. My son has his own car (19 year old) that was financed through "Bank of Dad", but he's almost paid me off for it.

I've toyed with the idea for having just one car for myself. I just can't bear to part with the Mustang and I know for a fact I'll need the 4Runner once winter hits. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo would fit the bill nicely for me as the best "all around" vehicle, but it's a bit out of my price range. Porsche's aren't known for being the most reliable vehicles out there, either.
  • Ours is the 2002 Acura TL TYPE S that makes 260 hp. Great car, great build, not a squeak or rattle 4 yrs later. It had a bunch of weird warranty issues. The 5 spd auto in that car was known for failing, 3rd gear is what failed. Warning would be it slipping around 3rd gear shift. Honda issued a recall on 2002 Oddy, Pilot etc which use same TL tranny. I think they FIXED it.

I have about 12 to 13 yrs before I become the bank of dad for buying a car for my son. Same thing I would have him pay me back. My dad did the same thing.

I wanted a Vette, but needed the backseat and vette was a little pricey for me. GTO was my Vette with a backseat and $15k cheaper. TL is our winter car with front drive. I would like a separate car for myself, but no $$ for that. GTO fits the bill.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Wow. That article was pretty biased. You didn't even have to read it to tell. You could look at the pictures they chose to post and know right off the bat the win would go to the GTO.

The wording was classic. ...the '05 Mustang's instrument panel, which mixes vintage graphics with chrome and matte metal... Matte metal?? Why not call it what it is? ALUMINUM Does the GTO have any?

There is no room for real people in the rear seats of the Mustang,... And the problem is? Neither of these cars is meant to be a family hauler. And they used that same tired old red interior shot of the GTO that has been around since before the thing was on the market, but they used to most bland interior shot of the GT they could find. The GT has a red interior, too. Wonder why they didn't use that instead? :P They basically used a near-base GT Deluxe instead of a comparable GT Premium and then gave the nod to the GTO for "amenities." Does the GTO have a 500 watt stereo standard like the GT Premium? No. Does the GTO stereo play MP3s? Don't know. Does the GTO have color adjustable instrumentation? No. Can you get an active antitheft system in the GTO? Don't know. How many power ports on the GTO? How much interior storage? I'll assume the GTO includes power lumbar support. Does it have an in-dash 6CD changer (with RDS and CD/MP3 text)? Does it have speed compensating volume control on the stereo (a very nice "amenity," BTW)?
  • kevm14kevm14 Posts: 423
    Porsche's aren't known for being the most reliable vehicles out there, either

Don't tell Shifty!
  • sensaisensai Posts: 129
    There is no room for real people in the rear seats of the Mustang,... And the problem is? Neither of these cars is meant to be a family hauler.
    Uh, I haul two or three extra people carpooling, something the GTO does quite easily and something the Mustang could not do at all (at least without chopping off the legs of the back seat riders). And I am certainly not the only one that brought the GTO for its ability to haul more than 2 people.
    LOL!

Yeah, you're right about that. Shifty loves his Porsches.

:shades:
  • "And I am certainly not the only one that brought the GTO for its ability to haul more than 2 people."

I 100% agree with you. I bought my GTO to haul more then 2 people too. Many times we have 4 people in GTO when going to car shows etc. . That was a requirement I needed.

BTW.... GTO has 95 cu ft interior space to Mustang's 85 cu ft. Both cars are about the same length and width too!
  • So was the C&D article that gave the Mustang GT the win by 1 point because of the "Got to have factor" Otherwise GTO was winner. No big deal. Thats how it goes. Even CR is biased.

GTO has color matched instrumentation to your ext. color. GTO has a anti-theft system, it has 3 power points to Mustangs 2, incl. one of them in the rear stack for backseat passengers to use. 2 of them are wired, you have to put in your own cig lighter adapter, easy. 95 cu ft interior vs 85 cu ft on Mustang. Both seats are full 8 way power with lumbar. Is the pass seat pwr in stang? It has 6 disc in dash changer with 10 speaker/subwoofer Blaunpunkt 200 watt std. It's ok. With a kid I don't get to use it that much. yes it has speed compensating volume that you can turn on or off.

By the same token Mustang does not have projector beam headlights, no IRS, sideview mirrors are NOT painted to match paint, No telescoping steering wheel adjustment. Is their a full trip computer/driver info center with avg mpg, avg spd, distance to dest. etc? GTO has both analog and digital speedometer feature, I kind of like digital, easier to quickly see your spd. Does it have programmable headlights, auto on/off. Does it have REAR HEAT & REAR A/C vents like GTO? All these features are STANDARD on GTO, not options.
  • Yet even with all those extra features, the Mustang GT outsells the GTO by a huge margin. I'm not trying to reenter the old disagreement. I'm supposing a question for both sides of the debate as to why. People don't drop 25-30 grand on a car for nothing and I don't buy the specious argument that Mustang GT buyers are following the pack and somehow less educated.
    You've got your snow routine down. Sounds like you'll be ready and moving. Those Blizzaks are good tires. I used them on my RX8. Without them, the RX8 didn't move. With them, the only thing stopping me last winter was ground clearance since we had so much snow.

I used to autox a corolla F/X16 DOHC. Great to mod. Great to autox and drive it away, on the street, from the event with little more than a tire swap. I don't have issues with any of the current crop of tuners/modders. I just don't get what they're trying to do. Very little of what I see from a mod perspective has anything to do with improving performance or handling. Cosmetic mods.....well.....I don't have much use for. But, that's just me. If the car is made to look good to begin with, you shouldn't need any cosmetic mods.

Trying to compare two cars like the Mustang and the GTO based on amount of square inches of interior space or whether it's got two speedometers is kind of like saying your girlfriend weighs a lot, but makes up for it by being able to sing well. Yeah, it's kind of good, but doesn't really matter in the overall picture.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "...is kind of like saying your girlfriend weighs a lot, but makes up for it by being able to sing well."

LOL! Man, you hit below the belt sometimes....... :)
  • The trunk is small on the GTO because they had to relocate the gas tank for US crash standards. Otherwise the monaro trunk is same size as Mustang.
  • "Trying to compare two cars like the Mustang and the GTO based on amount of square inches of interior space or whether it's got two speedometers is kind of like saying your girlfriend weighs a lot, but makes up for it by being able to sing well. Yeah, it's kind of good, but doesn't really matter in the overall picture."

Trying to compare the Mustang and GTO based on interior space and whether it has color adjustable speedos like Tayl0rd did doesn't matter in the overall picture either, RIGHT? I was only responding to what he posted on that matter. As for 2 speedos I thought it was pretty neat, my opinion, it is NOT a reason I bought the car. However rear seat room was one of the reasons. To each their own !
  • "Yet even with all those extra features, the Mustang GT outsells the GTO by a huge margin. "

That is because the Mustang is a cheaper price and advertised well and has been made for 40+ yrs in a row and sold 150,000 last yr and offers cheaper entry level models. They see the styling and price & Mustang name as well helps . GM didn't advertise GTO, only one price fully loaded, just about no options, rushed it over here, should have made the 2004 look like 2005 with scoops/dual exhaust from the get-co. Possibly other body panel changes. Also it was foreign. Some won't buy a so-called FOREIGN muscle car.
  • GTO has realistic room for four-adults. With more overall passenger volume (EPA) and more rear seat roominess than any car in it's class. If the Mustang would have made a roomier backseat I would have given it more consideration. How can Holden get 12 more cu ft interior space out of a car that has nearly the same length & width dimensions as Mustang? Mustang is 1" wider, GTO 1" longer. It's called better engineering. If I didn't care about space-room I would have bought a 2 seater only.

As for trunk, still impressive to have 7 to 8 cu ft space left over with a BIG 18.5 gallon tank in there! There was no problem overseas or in Austraila with the gas tank in it's orig spot! Mustang trunk loses a lot of space with optional shaker stereo. Not much bigger.
  • Think twice about buying a newly designed model in its first year. When a new model is introduced, the media buzz and hoopla can tempt you to be the first on your block to drive one home. But this can cost you in dollars, time and hassle. First yr models tend to have more problems as they age. Wait one or even 2 yrs before buying a new design until the mfg has had a chance to work out the bugs.

For most new models you're likely to have fewer problems if you wait.

The 2005 GTO has a new engine, throttle by wire control & tranny. Time will tell. Rest of GTO/Monaro has been out sice late 2001 as a 2002.
This discussion has been closed.