Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    There is a dealer down the road from me still advertising NEW 2004 Suzukis.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    If you have a lame car it will not sell. :cry: :P
  • gottabgtogottabgto Posts: 95
    Haha, no - the yellow model is definitely not a sleeper!
    Mine is black - much more sedate looking but then it's a blast when you get blow some beemer's (or Mustang's) doors off at a red light.
    Enjoy your car!
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    You should wait unitll the light turns green. :P
  • gtogmgtogm Posts: 31
    It's fun to keep up with or out run $70k CLK AMG 55's. Motor Trend did a head to head comparo with 2004 GTO vs 2004 AMG. Benz is the better car, but the Pontiac, "holden" did very well against it for less then half the price.
    I always enjoy hearing things like this. When has a manufacturer NOT sold every vehicle it can build? EVER?

Pontiac did NOT sell all the 2004 GTO's it built yet! There are still some new lingering around
    Ditto!!! Every light...every time I come in the gate at work...people ask questions, stop and stare...point..
    For such an un-assuming car, it sure does turn some heads. Furthermore, I have taken the GTO down to various shows, "cruise-nights" parked it there and it has gotten as many if not more looks than the C6 and other vettes. People want to sit in them and when they find out that it has the LS2 they really seem to take to the car I have also gotten many people saying "nice car" as well. It stands out more then certain Mustang owners think.
    2005 Saleen supercharged Mustang is listed at $48,000 and sports 400hp and 425 torque. But a GTO with similar hpa and save $15k

A guy next to me had the NON-supercharged Saleen and said he paid nearly $45k with dealer markup, that guy got taken for RIDE! It' only has 10 or 20 more hp then regular GT in non S/C form?

I hope he got gold plated door panels and jar of vaseline for that deal.
  • sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    My experience is that Mustang hp has always cost more than Pontiac hp, going way back.

I wonder what the Saleen's top speed is?
    The car that is, not me. On the way in to work this morning I saw some open road and thought I would open it up and see what it would do. Got it up to 120mph before I caught up to traffic. I guess at that speed objects in front of you appear farther away than they are. Checked the tach and was a little over 3 grand. Lotta head room there.
  • kevm14kevm14 Posts: 423
    Yeah and they'll sell every single one of them........
  • kevm14kevm14 Posts: 423
    You should have downshifted to 5th.
  • max19max19 Posts: 22
    Dodge Charger R/T 0-60mph - 6.1sec, 0-100mph - 14.6, 1/4 mile 14.6 @ 100mph, Top speed 149
    Mustang GT 0-60mph - 5.6, 0-100mph 13.7, 1/4 mile 14.2 @ 103 mph, Top speed 148
    GTO (0-60 time - 5.1) - (0-100mph - 11.8) (1/4 mile 13.6mph) (Top speed 158)

And still the winner based on exactly preference and not the bottom line (THE NUMBERS) is the Mustang GT. This comparos have too much "feeling" and not a lot of substance. Like my Boss used to say: "THE TRUTH IS IN THE NUMBERS" and not the number of vehicles sold but the performance numbers. By the time the Charger and the GT get to 100mph I would be waiting at the finish line after having a conversation on my cellphone. 2.1 seconds of difference from 0-100 mph...that in the world of street rancing means loosing a bet and somebody has to wash my car. :)

As you seen, when wetalk about Muscle Cars, we are not about slalom and skid pad so much as someone with an EVo or a WRX STi. A muscle car is about the way it growls at high revs, is about the burn-out $220 a tire and about prescence. We love to hate in America and the minute someone said that the style was bland, all the sheep followed the herd. It is funny that when the car came out it was JD Powers sports car of the year, the car was compared to a Mercedes AMG SLK, and has shared the track of an SRT8 300 and a CSV. In the comparo with the caddy and the 300 they used a 6 speed tranny instead of the automatic like the other two cars...I wonder why did that happened...? Of course! Car and Driver wasn't going to put down the Caddy from 0-60 and 1/4 mile since the auto tranny from the GTO would have made exactly the same numbers. GM will not allow a flagship model being out down by a $22K less vehicle.

I will admit, that the drawback of the GTO has been the slalom and the Skidpad...let's think about that too: I bought my Phantom black/black leather 18" alloys and I have tried GTO's with the 17" alloys and for those of you GTO owners out there: MAKE THE CHANGE. I changed the tires to Continental Sport Contact 2 (used by Ferrari on its F430) the tire is about $255 each and the difference is incredible on everyday driving and road grip. No, I dont work with continental, I happen to have an Audi 1.8T that had them. (My Audi is chiptunned, Diverter valve changed and KN filter - Dyno test @ 240 HP 0-60 in 6.4 sec 1/4 mile in 14.9 - I can almost race with the R/T...my wife drives that car now and I get to drive my GreaTOne.

Consider this: I got my Goat for $29,285 ( $1000.00 Hot Buttons, $500.00 Military discount, Employee discount - I am a though buyer. Barely a $500.00 difference from the Mustang...
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    In the comparo with the caddy and the 300 they used a 6 speed tranny instead of the automatic like the other two cars...

Umm... The CTS-V comes only with a 6-speed manual transmission.
  • max19max19 Posts: 22
    My point is - The GTO will perform better with a Auto than with a 6-Speed as stated by Pontiac's 0-60 and 1/4 mile test. ;)
    I guess I should have downshifted but it looked like I had more room. Next time...
  • lovegtolovegto Posts: 23
    I am tired of people putting down the looks of the GTO compared to the Mustang. I have driven the GTO for a couple of months and am suprised at the number of drivers in other cars who give me the thumbs up (sometimes other digits too). Admittedly the thumbs have been coming from drivers of Chevy Cavaliers but also from Dodge Neon and Ford Focus Drivers as well. Therefore I suggest that all those who put down the GTO looks just shut up.
  • vppreachervppreacher Posts: 72
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....or the driver as this case may be. Personally, I think the Mustang looks much better than the GTO (new or old). However, I also think it looks better than many other cars (350Z, Charger, etc). Saying one car looks better than another isn't putting the other down. Some people think Faith Hill is prettier than Shania Twain or Brad Pitt is more handsome than Antonio Banderas. What I cannot understand is why it matters what others think about your car; Variety is the spice of life.....
  • gxpgtodanmangxpgtodanman Posts: 210
    Looks are subjective, You either like it or you don't. There is MORE to a car then looks. Driving, interior quality, comfort etc. Interior/seats is nicer in GTO.

I have gotten many thumbs up, "Hey, Nice Car" people following me into the parking lot to ask me questions about it, etc. At the car shows I go to with it, many people are interested etc. Just on the highway today, many cars slowed down and to look at my GTO, checking it out. For a supposedly dull car, everyone seems to notice it !!
  • gtodongtodon Posts: 7
    lof
    All I have to say is sense I bought my 2005 GTO I have seen more heads turn than ever before. Even my 15 year old daughter say she feels like a movie star in my GTO cause everyone looks as we pass. My wife is getting tired of all the people noticing my GTO. When I drive down the road people pull up next to me to say how nice it looks. It might be the red with chrome wheels and smoked glass. Even the guy in the new 350zx nissan giving me the thumbs up. Everywhere you look you see the mustang. It's the price. But they don't mess with me. They know when they see that 6.0 on the back. The mustang does have the looks, but I want power. So I went with the GTO, and I am a GM person, not a ford person.