Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• kevm14kevm14 Posts: 423
    We could say the GTO is the spiritual, domestic successor to the 8-series :P

As for power, not even close. The year was 1991, and the engine displaced 5 liters. Try 296hp and 332lb-ft. Edmunds also says it was 41xx lbs. For 95 it was bumped to 322hp and 361lb-ft, now a 5.4L (the 850 designation stopped making sense). Mileage "improved" to 14/20. Edmunds also shows 0-60 in 6.6 (for the more powerful 5.4L version). Your memory of the 850 is not unlike a lot of people's recollections of 60s-era muscle cars ;)
  • " For 95 it was bumped to 322hp and 361lb-ft, now a 5.4L (the 850 designation stopped making sense)."

From Consumerguide automotive....Starting in 1994 there was a limited-edition 12-cylinder model, called 850CSi, fitted with a 372-horsepower, 5.6-liter V12. That one came with a 6-speed gearbox, sport suspension, lower ride height, and 17-inch tires and ran 0-60 in 5.4 seconds :P
    Yeah I forgot about the CSi (crime scene investigators?). Found it at Edmunds.

But that sort of proves what I was saying about the way people remember muscle cars. Someone said 8-series, and you immediately remembered the one, rare, extra high performance model ;)
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    ... and stick with the current models of the vehicles in the title of the topic. Thanks :-)

Claire

HOST

I don't get points for my "spiritual domestic successor" comment?
    I don't get points for my "spiritual domestic successor" comment?

(Looking at notes)
    Yes, I have your score right here: "Grammar, punctuation, and picturesque verbiage: 10 points."

Claire

HOST

• sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    After back to back silver cars I must admit I'm ready for a change. Holden was definitely looking at Mercedes and BMWs when they designed this iteration. It styling didn't do much for me, I got the car for the drive train. But I must say it grew on me and I really like it now. Plain and all.

One of my dream cars was the '67 GTX with a 440. Never got it but did get my hands on a '68 RoadRunner with a 383 Magnum. Now that was one awesome motor. I'll never forget the sales brochure. It pictured a silver GTX with a black stripe over the passenger side of the car. I also remember test driving a silver Barracuda with the Commando 273. So, silver always brings back good memories. And that reminds me. I was talking to the dealer about automatics and he says he has a silver one that he sent out for striping. Is that trippy? I doubt I will be interested but I am going to have to at least check it out.

I know what you mean about all the stop lights. I remember when there were long straightaways. You could really open it up back then. Now, it's just stop light to stop light. And all those cars just burning up fuel. There is a difference with today's high oil prices and yesteryear's. And that difference is China. Back then China was a technology backwater. No cars, no industry, no jobs, no nothing. Now, after selling us cheap and shoddy goods all these years, it is taking jobs away from us and sucking up all the oil it can get its hands on. And everything else for that matter.
  • I thought the GTO styling was avg, not great, but not ugly. I bought it for the Corvette drivetrain, backseat, very good interior , Gm's best interior, and pricing.. $15k less then vette. I waited for 2005 because of extra 50hp, better brakes, scoops, dual exhaust, etc. For all those that TRASH this car, I would advise them to take a test drive. Quite differently once you drive it.

"There is a difference with today's high oil prices and yesteryear's."

Not really. A barrel of oil would have to hit $90 to match 1974-1975 inflation adjusted pricing. Today a barrel of oil is $67. So as high as gas-oil sounds, it' still cheaper, "inflation adjusted" then 1974-1975.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,886
    In some ways, I like the "outrageous" colors of the Mustangs, GTOs (and all the rest) of yesteryear. Purple (I think the '04 GTO actually had some sort of purple color). Mustangs in Orange.........

That said, I must be turning conservative since none of those colors appeal to me now.

I don't even like the yellow Mustangs and GTOs.

I've seen some pretty good colors on other cars that would grab my attention, though.

My RX8's "winning blue" was bright yet tasteful. The RX8 red (with gold metalflake) is a "looker", too. A brilliant silver color (like the ones I've seen on 350Zs is attrative (although I'm not a silver guy).

I just become weary of the same colors....especially for cars like the Mustang and GTO.

I'd like to see Ford and GM resurrect some of their legendary motors of years past with modern electronics, computer management, fuel injection, etc to see what they could do in the marketplace. If Chrysler can resurrect the Hemi with so much success, there's no reason a CobraJet or 427 can't be resurrected with success.

I wonder what happened to all the tooling for motors like the 440, 383, 351, 427, 454 went?

Hopefully, it's all sitting in warehouses somewhere waiting to be resurrected.

Regarding gas prices, all you have to do is follow the money to see who is behind all of this tremendous rise. While I'll agree that China is driving up demand, the people there can barely afford a car, let alone the gas that goes in it. I view that as another "reason" the BPs of the world use to raise their bid on oil. While OPEC is doing well, I'm certain, even they can see where this is leading. They've said time and time again price per barrel needs to stabilize between $25-$30/bbl. They are pumping as fast as they can to get the price down. Where are all these extra barrels going? MPG of all vehicles is certianly better than it was 20 years ago. Eventually, there will be oversupply and the bidding will fall like a brick in water. Then, the oil companies will be crying the blues.

What's sad is our country is doing nothing to get to the root cause of the rise. Personally, I'd like to know who the oil brokers work for that keep bidding the price/bbl up. I'd also like to see some sort of report on who these people are and what their background is.

The fact that we're letting them drive up the bidding for a barrel of oil based on some very weak reasons (weather, Saudi flu season, speculation on pork belly futures) tells me there's at least some money changing hands with politicians who have been paid to turn a blind eye.

Others say the reason is we haven't built any refineries in 15 years. Why not?

Too many questions with puny or no answers leads me to believe this runup was planned....and that it's been in the planning stages for quite some time.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "If Chrysler can resurrect the Hemi with so much success, there's no reason a CobraJet or 427 can't be resurrected with success."

I was under the impression that the only thing Chrysler resurrected was the NAME 'Hemi'. Kinda like the relationship between an '06 'Charger' and a late '60s Charger. So from that standpoint, I guess there's no reason Ford couldn't have called the latest iteration of the 4.6l in the Mustang a 'CobraJet'.

"I wonder what happened to all the tooling for motors like the 440, 383, 351, 427, 454 went?"

Sitting around waiting for gas to drop back down below $2/gal. Besides, Ford was still using the 351W until the mid 90s if memory serves and it did had some 'modern' touches (at least, as modern as the mid 90s had available). And Chevy used the 454 not so many years ago in the Silverado (I remember the 454SS version that was out for a few years).
  • "I was under the impression that the only thing Chrysler resurrected was the NAME 'Hemi'. "

You are correct. The only reason dodge got some more sales in the last couple of years is the new fake hemi. the heads on the hemi are not really even hemipherical. close but no real hemi.. but the word hemi sells. doesnt it??t Nice marketing scheme to bring buyers back.
  • " And Chevy used the 454 not so many years ago in the Silverado (I remember the 454SS version that was out for a few years)."

The Chevy 454 SS truck was made from 1990 to 1993 and ONLY made 230hp. 1/4 mile in the mid to high 15's. Nothing special. It only had a 3spd automatic with 3.73 gearing. 10 - 12 mpg was about it. It cost about $20k new, which is equivalent to about $30k today !
  • Interesting how a car can be so RAVED about overseas, but not here. Holden Monaro, GTO here, has captured the Australian public’s imagination and beaten all comers as the nation’s best selling sports car for the past three years.

“he Monaro has been an absolute winner in Australia - a hands-down winner in the sports car market. It has been the flagship of our performance car range and the standard for others to match,” he said.

Our coupe has worn four GM brands on four continents and sold almost six times as many cars as were first planned.

“But most of all, Monaro ignited something deep within the Australian car culture and made people think about locally built performance cars as capable of competing with anything in the world from the value perspective.

“Managing the life cycle ensures strong ongoing demand for used Monaros, keeping resale values high and protecting its deserved reputation as a classic.”
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Well, I was going to offer my own little editorial comment regarding the 454SS but I tried to bite my tongue. I agree with your assessment 100%. I don't know what the heck GM did with the 454 in that truck but it was a dog. Ford was getting roughly that kind of power out of their venerable 302 at that same time.

3.73 gears and only mid-high 15's???? Probably traction problems given the torque that motor was capable of and the unloaded rear-end..... :confuse:
  • "3.73 gears and only mid-high 15's???? Probably traction problems given the torque that motor was capable of and the unloaded rear-end...."

You are right on the SS. The Ford Lightning which came out in 1993 had 4.10 gears, 240hp 5.8 Liter and ran mid 15's as well. Same as SS. Ford had a smaller motor, 5.8 vs GM's 7.4

By today stds it sounds avg to slow, Then again that was decent to good performance in the early 1990's !! Automatic Mustang 1993 ran mid 15's too !!
    I was happy with the '04 until I saw and drove the '05
    I just love those old cars. I sure wouldn't want to drive one nowadays. I like the idea of upgrading the engines.

I hope you are right about the oil. I'm just not as confident as you.
    We're all over the map here, folks.

Claire

HOST

• eliaselias Posts: 1,828
    ok, speaking of the track - does anyone here have timeslips to post for mustang GTs & either 04 or 05 goats? we can post image files here so it should be possible to scan & post the actual timeslips, eh? after experiencing the goat/irs wheelhop, i'm less eager to run mine on a 1/4 mile track. and i can see some of ford's logic in giving the new mustang with solid rear axle. on the other hand, i'd rather have the better handling & ride with the irs than the easier-launching with a solid-rear-axle.
  • I don't know if Pontiac/Holden will be making Special Editions of the GTO, but I hope they do....just to make the magazines and markets more interesting. I know Ford has big plans for bringing back not only the Shelby, but also a Bullit, Mach 1, and other Special Editions. I've always thought Hunter Green was a nice unique color.

I wonder how the Mustang would sell in Australia. Europe, America, Canada, and each country has their own cultural, performance, and aesthetic bias and preferences. It seems that we each have our own automotive ideal of a nice ride. Heck, even within America there are substantial differences between urban/rural, East/West, and North/South.