Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "As I have said before: I'd rather have a brand new car that looks like a classic, than a brand new car that looks ten years old."

Yeah, kinda like the difference between parachute pants and a classic pair of Ray-Bans.... :D
  • gunitgunit Posts: 469
    How much is the GT500 going to cost? I have heard rumors of it STARTING at $40k or very high 30'sk. That is $6k more then a GTO. It should be faster for that price. LOL! For me that is too much $$ for a Mustang.
  • How much is the GT500 going to cost? I have heard rumors of it STARTING at $40k or very high 30'sk. That is $6k more then a GTO. It should be faster for that price.

Well, everyone here is beating up on the Mustang because it is "slower" than the GTO. But the GTO costs roughly $5,000 more than a GT. I could quote the same (it should be faster for that price) back to you.
  • I know I'm new here, but in middle Ga. when someone says that one car is slower than another itsd because it has been proven at one of the local tracks,NOT because it was read about in a mag.Around here even corvette guys are scared of a good running mustang( buy the way there are alot of them around here, good running mustangs that is.)When you can spend around $3,000 and NOT install nitros,a turbo or a supercharger and pull mid 6's in an 1/8 mile on a stock bottom end you certainly will not waste your time even thinking about a GTO.Unless your laughing at the poor GM guys that is.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    Any variation of a Mustang that costs $40K or more, is competing with the Corvette, not a GTO.
    benderofbows writes.......Any variation of a Mustang that costs $40K or more, is competing with the Corvette, not a GTO.......

A Mustang does NOT compete with a Corvette. Never really has! 2 dif cars. Vette competes more with a Viper. 2 seats, no backseats. Mustang is nice, and I'm sure the GT500 will rock but is not worth a $40k+ tag in my opinion. Not when someone can buy the base for $19k. or V8 base for $25k
    Benderofbows writes.......Well, everyone here is beating up on the Mustang because it is "slower" than the GTO. But the GTO costs roughly $5,000 more than a GT. I could quote the same (it should be faster for that price) back to you..........

The Fact is that the GTO is faster then the Stang, won all the perf. contests in Car and Driver over stang, offers 100 more hp, independent rear axle, better interior etc and that is why it's $5k more! nuff said.

as previously posted here the GTO actually offers more bang for the buck then Stang. 400hp for $34k is cheaper then 300hp for $28k!!! Do the math! GTO is $85 per HP, Stang is $93 per hp. I am not beating up on the Stang, just stating the facts. Stang is a good car too.

I could have bought a Stang, bought GTO, that is what I liked and wanted. BTW, I did NOT pay $34k for my GTO. With rebates and employee discount only paid about $2k more then a Stang. Didn't have a Ford discount.
  • Guys ,to be fare ,I must admit that I own a local machine shop and have 32 years in on modifying racing engines. The past 18 years I have specialized on the EFI mustang. In other words ,if I spend $3,000 on an engine an average individual would have to spend around $9,000 to $10,000 to get the same work done. With all due respect ,the new GTO is a nice car.
    With that said ,at our local tracks on test and tune nights I have never seen a stock GTO outrun a stock v8 mustang.
  • sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    Omigaw! You have to prop up the hood! That is truly reprehensible. It's just another way to shave costs and lower the overall weight, there by making it more competive. That one feature would keep me from buying a Mustang.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,538
    sputter....we'll have to agree to disagree on the GP styling vs the GTO's.

To me, the GTO is nearly a GP clone from a styling perspective.

That's not the reason I bought the Mustang GT over the GTO, however. I've stipulated, more than once, my thought process that brought me to my "buy" decision. NO need to go through the same excersise again.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,538
    Having a hood prop is the one feature that would keep you from buying a Mustang? It's reprehensible?

You're being facetious (I hope)!!!!!!???????
  • The Fact is that the GTO is faster then the Stang, won all the perf. contests in Car and Driver over stang, offers 100 more hp, independent rear axle, better interior etc and that is why it's $5k more! nuff said.

Yes... and the GT500 will be faster than the GTO, will win all the performance contests, will offer at least 50 more hp and torque and at lower RPMs, will handle better... and that is why it will be $5k more than the GTO.

I'm sure the GT500 will rock but is not worth a $40k+ tag in my opinion. Not when someone can buy the base for $19k. or V8 base for $25k

Well, if (as you say) the average person can tell a GTO from a Grand Prix, they will be able to easily differentiate between the various levels of the Mustang (V6/GT/Cobra/GT500), especially the SVT Cobra and Shelby GT500 variants. And if those variants offer that much more than a GTO, it will be worth the extra price.
  • sensaisensai Posts: 129
    LOL - Corvette guys are scared of good running Mustangs? If you are talking mid 6's in a 1/8 of a mile (which equates to solid 10s in the 1/4) for $3000, the only Stangs that would do that are the Terminator Cobra and gutted Fox body Mustangs. While both of those are certainly straight line fast, they are not comparable to a Vette in any other way. By the way, you can throw $3000 into a LSx engine (heads/cam package), and run into the 11s, which is plenty fast for most people. And you still drive home in a very liveable car.
    There is the GTO-R with 450hp from the STOCK LS2 V8, right now only for racing use..,GM didn't have to use a "blower" supercharger like the GT500. 450hp is normally aspirated. But I doubt that will see regular production, just racing!
    benderofbows writes.......Yes... and the GT500 will be faster than the GTO, will win all the performance contests, will offer at least 50 more hp and torque and at lower RPMs, will handle better... and that is why it will be $5k more than the GTO......

The GT500 also uses a supercharger to make that power, the GTO is normally aspirated! That said I could put a blower on my GTO and match or exceed the GT500 and wait, My car would still cost less then GT500 including the supercharger! For me the 400hp stock is good enough.

If Pontiac made a $40k+ GTO I wouldnt' buy it either. Same with a $40k+ Mustang, not worth it to me.

While the Mustang interior is ok to good for a $19k to $28k car, it is NOT good in a $40k+ car. I hope they are improving it for GT500.

It would be cool if POntiac put the new 7 Liter Z06 500hp motor in a version of the GTO, but then I'm sure they would charge way too much, LOL!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Bendereofbows said.......Well, if (as you say) the average person can tell a GTO from a Grand Prix, they will be able to easily differentiate between the various levels of the Mustang (V6/GT/Cobra/GT500), especially the SVT Cobra and Shelby GT500 variants. And if those variants offer that much more than a GTO, it will be worth the extra price..........

At least the GTO won't be confused for a cheaper dumbed down version of itself, ala $19k V6 stang vs a $40k GT500 by your avg non car enthusaist.

18,000 GTO's vs 180,000 Mustangs. Big difference and more exclustivity with GTO. At least you can't rent a GTO, You can rent 2005 Stangs all over the place. Just saw 3 on the rental car lot near here. As I said, Mustang, Camry, Accord, Taurus, F150, all the same a dime a dozen. One on every block and 20 in every parking lot, LOL! That is why I would never buy a car like that. I want something somebody else doesn't have, but that is just me.
    Suckers is right. Yes, I will disparage the Mustang's 60's styling. It only looks good to you because you weren't around then. It's time for me to come out of the closet. Yes, it's true. Oh, the shame of it. I'm a Mustange lover. That is, Mustangs up to '73. I owned two '60's era' Mustangs. But 30 years of Mustang II's and Fox bodies has left a bad taste in my mouth. Frankly though, coming out the year after the first gas shortages, the Mustang II wasn't a bad car. I probably wouldn't mind the fox bodies so much if it wasn't for that guy down at the local Speedway running the 1/4 with his mufflers disconnected. I hope he didn't waste his money on headers. So there he is, noisily, sputtering down the track, and everyone looking at each other and shaking theirs heads. 175hp, now that's some excitement. The point of this longwinded and yes I know, boring account is that when I look at the '05 I don't feel anything. And normally, anytime I see any 60's car I feel a twinge. The 05 does not look like any Mustang I know. It has some features in common, but that is all. It is only an imitation. The performance is there but not the, oh I can't even think of a word for it. I'll leave it at that for now.
    Benderofbows writes.........Well, everyone here is beating up on the Mustang because it is "slower" than the GTO.....

Not everyone is beating up on the Mustang, there are others beating up on the GTO also. It's 50/50. Why you would defend a car, the 2005 Mustang, that you told me you don't even OWN is besides me, LOL! Kind of hillarious.

I would be like me defending the 2005 Vette, even though I don't own one, LOL! I would never do, unless I owned it. To each their own. Funny though! Final comments on this thread, it's getting old. Sick and tired of repeating myself.
    Well, yes it is fair not to include those other cars. Look at the name of the forum. Mustang vs GTO. But feel free to contribute. Those names pop up in here every once in awhile anyway.
    There is a family resemblence between the GP and GTO but thats as far as it goes. I wouldn't say that they look more alike than the new Mustang and an old one. As has been pointed out repeatedly by you guys, the Mustang, any Mustang, is instantly recognizable. It looks like a Mustang to me but no particular one. It looks more like a cross between a first and second generation.
    'never seen a stock GTO outrun a stock Mustang'. Well, that's interesting. That's the sort of feedback we've been looking for.
    If the GTO had a hood prop I probably would still have gotten it and chalked it up to another weird thing about the GTO. I just don't like them though. My wife's Pathfinder has it and it drives me crazy.
    This is what I am talking about. Check out the original GT500. That to me is one of the best looking (and performing) cars in the world of all time. Now look at the new one. Talk about bland styling. All it does is take some features from the original and add them on to a bland modern coupe. I guess the word I'm looking for is character. The new one has no character. Just look at the picture. That's why I'm happy with the GTO. It's not trying to be something it's not. It's got bland modern styling and not weak imitation styling.
  • Why you would defend a car, the 2005 Mustang, that you told me you don't even OWN is besides me, LOL! Kind of hillarious.

What fun would this site be if everyone could only talk about the cars they actually had? What about the GT500, I guess we can't talk about that because it's not out yet and no one actually has one. Go tell the entire Future Vehicles board to pack it up, they can't discuss what they don't have.

Besides, I have enough experience to write about the 2005s. I almost bought one, got a new leftover 2004 instead. Did plenty of research complete with a thorough test drive! My Fiancee had a 2001 that was totaled, and she wanted another one of the same body style.
  • This is what I am talking about. Check out the original GT500. That to me is one of the best looking (and performing) cars in the world of all time. Now look at the new one. Talk about bland styling. All it does is take some features from the original and add them on to a bland modern coupe. I guess the word I'm looking for is character. The new one has no character. Just look at the picture. That's why I'm happy with the GTO. It's not trying to be something it's not. It's got bland modern styling and not weak imitation styling.

So a bland modern coupe that takes some features from the original has no character, but a bland modern coupe with no features does have character?
    Yeah, Ford is overworking the supercharger. Here again, the original had 427 cubes and two 4bbls. Compared to a supercharged 5.4, well, there is no comparison. The performance is similar I'm sure but the exhaust notes will be different. A rumble compared to a wheez. Don't get me wrong. I love superchargers. But not compared to a 427. And come on. After Ford bought Jaguar, they put a supercharged 4.6 in the flagship model. Would you pay $80K or more for a Jaguar with a Ford motor?

The next logical step would be to drop the LS7 into the GTO. LS7 = 427. Oh yeah, sounds good to me. But there isn't enough time to get it into the '06 and now there's no '07. Oh well. Now, if Pontiac had only listened to me there would be that rear wheel drive Grand Prix to carry on. I'm sure there will be some other car besides the Corvette to get the LS7. If not then GM has lost the hp war.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Mustang is nice, and I'm sure the GT500 will rock but is not worth a $40k+ tag in my opinion. Not when someone can buy the base for $19k. or V8 base for $25k

That's some oddball logic. Why did people buy $33K+ Camaro SS/Trans AM WS6 (or $40K+ Firehawk) when they could buy an $18K V6 version of the same car?

On that same token, AMG and BMW's M division need to just close up shop. Why by a $50K+ M3 when you can buy a base 3-series for $27K? Why buy a $70K+ M5 when you can buy a base 5-series for $40K? Why on Earth would anyone pay $80K+ for an E55 AMG when they could buy a base E350 for $50K?

Come on now. Get real, dude.

And about that interior and the car not being worth $40K; have you even seen pictures of the GT500? Did you noticed the leather covered dash? Did you notice the different guage fonts? Did you notice the different seat pattern?

Did you notice the new wheels and tires? Did you notice the different ground effects? Did you notice the completely different front end? Did you notice the lowered suspension? Did you notice the different paint scheme? Did you notice the rear spoiler and lower diffuser?

Did you even see pictures of the car?? :confuse:
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "Here again, the original had 427 cubes and two 4bbls."

Actually, the original GT500 (from 1967 thru about 68-1/2) had the 428. Rumor has it that a FEW of the original cars had 427's swapped in by some dealers. Later half of 1968, the cars were GT500KR's which had the 428 Cobrajet engines.

I'm not aware of any GT500's being equipped with the 427 Sideoiler from the factory.

Also, the LS7 in the upcoming ZO6 actually displaces closer to 428 ci. Chevy refers to it as a '427' for marketing reasons.....and since that 'sounds good' to you, I would say that the GM marketing folks have you pretty much figured out. It's all about the numbers......
    I didn't say that. But its true. A bland modern coupe has character. Bland character. Remember, a lot of us bought the '04 GTO because it isn't flashy and doesn't attract attention. Of course it does attract attention but people have to be close enough to see the GTO badge or the 5.7 in the rear and then you get stares and double takes.
This discussion has been closed.