Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• "Did that person even drive the Mustang?? This is the quietest Mustang ever. Road noise is minimal and wind noise is virtually non-existent. (I've never driven the V6, though, so maybe it's different from the GT.) "

I own a GT.

It's a little louder inside than the GTO as far as exhaust, but I think the GTO has more tire noise and wind noise. YMMV.

They're both a little louder than most cars, for that matter. Not obnoxious, but hard to carry on a conversation over the road, exhaust, and stereo if you're going at speed. Nothing too bad if you're used to performance cars, but if you're used to something like a Camry or Accord, then I can see where someone would be annoyed.

Coming from an F-150, the wind noise on either of them is non-existant.
  • I never said F body platform was as old as Fox Mustang platform, it wasn't. Fox was 3 yrs older. However I read somewhere that it (Fbody) would not meet newer front crash stds for 2003 or 2004. Something in the front end. I never said the F body was superior to Mustang Fox either. Thats open for debate. Didn't F body handle better? Just guessing I don't know.

I read that the Fox body had to be replaced/redone because of where it's gas tank is located for rear crash protection stds It wouldn't have passed for 2005 or 2006. That is why they re-located Monaro Gas tank to pass rear crash stds. However the Monaro will get a NEW Chassis for 2007-2008
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    So, what happens when a 19-year old kid is test driving a Holden Monaro HSV Clubsport and goes a leeeeetle too fast coming back to the dealership....

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/weird/weird569.shtml
  • It's not a Monaro. It's a 4 door version. See this link....

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1796/printArticle.html

Entertaining none the less.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,892
    There was a guy coming from an Accord who posted in the Mustang thread and was complaining about the GT's noise. I mentioned that if he's wanting the GT, and he's expecting something silent, he's missing the purpose of the car.

I did hear the Freddy had a certain duality about him.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,830
    there are reports on the net today about ford being ready to produce a hybrid mustang V8 that gets 37 mpg city. i'm a GM/goat guy all the way but i think that is awesome news if true, and another example of Ford beating GM. i don't quite believe the 37 mpg number, of course. but hey, a hybrid mustang will be able to drive in the cali carpool lanes! woo hoo. of course, if the cali govt stooges really wanted to decrease pollution and decrease fuel consumed, hybrids would be *prohibited* from the carpool lanes - they get better mpg in stop-and-go traffic!

maybe the whole mustang hybrid thing is a prank. i cannot find a source for it. the web site listed on the report i got doesn't even exist. but hey, i hope it's true. as a GM guy i say "GO BLUE OVAL" if this is true! oh yeah!
  • From what I have read the GTO LS2 was designed to be retrofitted with displacement on demand (DOD). New oil pressure manifold and new wiring. 8% increase in fuel economy (ONLY 2 or 3 MPG) taking into account that your driving style is within the paramaters for the system to operate. Not worth the money in the long run to add it to a vehicle. That is all I can remember.
  • After driving both cars, many V6 Rental Mustangs on business trips and test drives of the GT, is that the GTO is the more quieter, comfortable, luxurious muscle car, IMO. Reminds me of Mercedes/BMW. GTO is the poor mans BMW. I can have a totally ok conversation in it. The only sound in the GTO that might get annoying for some, Cam-Accord driversI is the twin pipes of the LS2. I love that sound.

What I noticed is that inside the car the GT's exhaust is louder/better, but OUTSIDE the car the GTO has a louder-meaner-deeper note to it's exhaust then GT. Hear it further away, IMO GT sounds nice also!
    I can certainly attest to the exhaust note on the GTO. Had a nice red '05 pull up next to me at a light yesterday; I'll admit I had to drop my window so I could get a nice earful. Sweet.

Now why can't my Celica sound like that? :blush:
  • "Now why can't my Celica sound like that?"

It's missing half its engine. ;)
    Well, given the displacement disparity, it's actually missing about 2/3 of it's engine. It only SOUNDS like it's missing 1/2.

Actually, it's sounds pretty good over 6k rpm. :) It's just the 0-6k part that blows.... :cry:
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,830
    ok, the reports weren't really on the net. a coworker made up the whole thing and posted it to the company "cartalk" newsgroup because he was annoyed with the never-ending hybrid/diesel/gas-guzzler debates. apparently this guy is even more calendar-challenged than me. oh well, it was funny, sort of. on the serious side, honda has in fact started the tradition of using hybrids to increase performance rather than necessarily increasing mpg: honda accord hybrid.

and i think it is a serious question, whether ford or gm will get a serious hybrid to market first - and which will get hybrid-tech into a muscle-car first. i bet it WILL happen. PEACE !
    rorr....what did you decide to buy? Mustang GT? RX8?
    Well, when gas hit $3 a gallon, I decided to keep driving my Celica for a bit longer. For all intents and purposes, both the Mustang and the RX8 would probably be about equal in terms of mileage.

Haven't driven the Mustang yet, but after my drive in the RX8.....well, it was nice and handled sweet but I think I'd like a bit more oomph off the line, particularly for the amount of gas I'd be burning.

The kids may just have to learn how to get in/out of the back of the Mustang. Besides, I hear Ford may issue a new Bullitt edition next year in my favorite color. It would look nice in the garage next to my Ivy Green '66 Fastback. :shades:
    rorr...totally understand. For what it's worth, the Mustang GT only burns "regular". I'm getting about 22-24 MPG on the highway and about 17-18 MPG "in town". Not Prius terriroty, but not bad considering what the car can do.
  • kbobe67kbobe67 Posts: 23
    Damn, it's good to have two (maybe three with the Charger) American cars in the modern marketplace that inspire heated rivalries. How long has it been since Ford guys and GM guys had anything worth arguing about. Do you think there's a searing battle going on between the Camry owners and the Accord owners? Doubtful.

I have an 05 GTO. The Mustang wasn't on the shopping list for me. Without a doubt the 'Stang can look good, particularly in the right color and in full performance trim, but there's too many secretaries and college girls buzzing around in the skinny six cylinder jobs to make the car something special. For me it dilutes the brand. Probably why you can't buy a watered down Corvette. The Mustang also strikes me as a very "safe" choice, which is not always good. It takes major cajones to lay down 30 large for a quirky, limited production Aussie import. Maybe it takes cajones to buy a Mustang. I just think they're probably smaller, less impressive cajones,

Now, in fairness, I didn't begin this quest looking for an American muscle car. My criteria was simply that the car had to get me in the gut. I figured there'd be four years of payments, and I didn't want to be bored with the thing by Year Two. I tried a $50,000 Acura RL, a nice TL, the TSX, the RX-8, Mazda 6, the BMW 3 series. Nada. The only car that really got to me was the GTO.

Once I realized I was destined for a mid-life crisis car, I did briefly flirt with the idea of checking out the Mustang, since the cars so clearly compete with one another, but the interior for me was a deal-breaker. The dash seemed like Mattel's version of what a retro Mustang interior would look like. Overall I like the body, especially the nose. The rear lamps seem a little oversized but generally I think the Mustang is a good looking car. Obviously the motoring public thinks so too, which is why there's six of them at every intersection. I'm sure the GT is powerful and fast, and if that car had pushed any of my buttons I'm sure I'd be thrilled to death to own and drive one. The GTO just got to me first.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to have somebody drop off an 05 GT and an 05 GTO and leave them both for six months. At the end of the six months check the odometers and see which one spent more time parked. I'd bet you'd see some defections on both sides.
  • ....especially to those whose attention I don't want!
  • considering buying a gto for the same reasons you mentioned.
    how have you enjoyed it since you purchased it?
    would you buy it again?
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Wanted to give you guys that are considering a GTO my 1 year update.
    Bought my '04 Quicksilver M6 11/30/04 exactly 1 year ago today.

So far I have put the '05 hood on and installed Ronal R41 18" wheels with BFG KDW tires.
    The tires really transform the car allowing quicker turn in and the ability to hammer it off the line without as much wheel spin.

Just rolled over 16,000 miles a couple of days ago.
    So far I have had the clutch pedal busing greased due to a really annoying squeak and the all 4 rotors turned because they were warped at about 11,000 miles.
    I have also had the speedometer do the 200 mph thing while stopped and a false coolant light come on 2-3 of times.
    Turning the car off and on again will clear this.

I absolutley love this car. it is the best GM car I have owned and along with my '04 cadillac SRX has had the fewest problems.

It feels well screwed together with no creaks after 16,000 miles and that is with 40 series tires on 18" rims.
    The leather is very high quality and the seats are extremely comfortable.

This is really a great car. I feel like I am driving a car that is much greater than the sum of it's parts.
    If I could afford it I would be another one and keep my '04.
    ...will supposedly feature a new sport coupe based on GM's Zeta-lite chassis with a Corvette drivetrain to compete more directly with the Mustang. Though it can't use the "Camaro" name, apparantly the styling would evoke 1st gen. Camaro (or possible the late '60s Chevelle).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108247

Comments?